GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Idk I just don’t think he’s worth that yet but He probably ends up getting paid just because of his last name. Power and Sanderson can both play in all situations and log lots of minutes. Luke still looks like a forward playing defense to me. Maybe we have had jacks winger all along just playing the wrong position :sarcasm:

Nobody gets paid what they're currently worth on a long-term contract (well, for young players I mean)

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Henrique specifically said he’s not looking for money at this stage in his career.

So if he’s willing to take a discount around 3.5 million, it’s doable.
Ehhhh there's a more recent report...can't remember from who, but it was someone viewed as reputable. Basically said term from Oilers was fine, but Henrique didn't like the cash. Based on the EDM moves today, prob safe to assume they offered $4ish+?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DeSimone is definitely being waived, he doesn't need to be on the roster.

Getting rid of Bastian would make life a bit easier. I have zero expectations that he is going to contribute anything for us so I wouldn't mind tossing him
I liked him for a while there, and I even missed him when we were icing call ups and MacDermid later in the season, but teams only get so much out of guys like that before they're on to another team. And I think Bastian is approaching that with this team, if he hasn't already.

I'm surprised he's only played 205 games here. It feels like it's closer to 300. Though he did miss a ton of time the last two seasons. Missed almost half the games in 22-23, missed 28 games last year. His first year here that he spent the entire season on the NHL roster was a shortened 56 game season.

The fact that he's missed 40% of the possible games played over the last 2 years I would say is probably not in his favor.

Reactions: My3Sons

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Yeah, some folks need to chill and remind themselves there's still a nice chunk of time before the season starts...and that even if they don't get another big winger before the season starts, they can still probably get one in-season. Not saying that's ideal, but none of this is a finished product just yet, though it'll be a challenge to get all the pieces to fit.

As for Rico, I don't know if he's truly the best fit or not, but I don't care, the heart wants what it wants.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
there certainly was more than 1 person thinking we should have kept him. i can't remember who
In a better world where the Allen trade never happened, sure. Very obviously as a cheap backup.

He was never gonna be here in conjunction with that move though.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Nobody gets paid what they're currently worth on a long-term contract (well, for young players I mean)
I think if the devils were to offer Luke an extension right now… long term could be anywhere from 5-7 aav and if they bridge him it would be 3-5 aav. If they wait a year to extend him those numbers would probably go up

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kahkonen was merely a body coming back in goal after we cap dumped Vitek. They probably saw value in Vitek because he was signed for one more year.

Realistically they could have kept Kahkonen for the rest of the year, because Vitek would wind up not playing another game the rest of the season. I'm not sure that was known at the time of the acquisition though. And after making it about 75% of the season unscathed, Blackwood finally got hurt and spent some time out of the lineup, which first happened right before that trade in a game against us. And they were trading for Devin Cooley to play out the stretch, who was an abysmal 27 year old rookie who hadn't even made his NHL debut before the Sharks picked him up from Buffalo at the deadline. He was also a San Jose area native.

So they probably could have kept him. Then again they knew they weren't re-signing him and didn't care about getting rid of him when they were picking up a guy that was signed for next year and had starting goaltender experience.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think if the devils were to offer Luke an extension right now… long term could be anywhere from 5-7 aav and if they bridge him it would be 3-5 aav. If they wait a year to extend him those numbers would probably go up

If Luke got 5m aav at 8 years, that'd go down as the best contract ever in a few years. Mackinnon level (before he got his new contract). I just don't see it happening.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Me personally, I'd rather wait and just give him 9 if he has another strong season. Rather do that than risk giving 8 with only 1 year of nhl experience.

I don't think there will be any issues with Luke but 1 mil difference to get a better idea of what he'll be is worth it for me

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If Luke got 5m aav at 8 years, that'd go down as the best contract ever in a few years. Mackinnon level (before he got his new contract). I just don't see it happening.

Assuming 91 mil cap next year it’d be 5.5% of the cap. Jack signed for nearly 10% with f*** all to show for himself at that point. MacKinnon’s was 8.63%.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
So I'm open to a lot of different viewpoints regarding what remaining moves the Devs have to make before opening night. However, not making any more additions is not one of them. That isn't acceptable. It'd be batshit insane to go into the season banking on a rebound+ breakout from Mercer AND 100% perfect forward health.

Especially when you just added a 35 year old goalie with 2 years left and have no 1st round pick next year. Rolling into the season with 1-2 holes in your top 6 and no C depth isn't acceptable considering the circumstances. Contradictory moves are how organizations end up in purgatory for a decade+.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't an addition prior to opening night. Wouldn't be the first time though.
I can agree about acquiring one more middle-6 forward so depth is stronger but I think Mercer's bounce back is as certain as you can get. 45-50+ I think is a lock for the boy considering his motor and skating

Reactions: Edmonton East

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah, some folks need to chill and remind themselves there's still a nice chunk of time before the season starts...and that even if they don't get another big winger before the season starts, they can still probably get one in-season. Not saying that's ideal, but none of this is a finished product just yet, though it'll be a challenge to get all the pieces to fit.

As for Rico, I don't know if he's truly the best fit or not, but I don't care, the heart wants what it wants.

i could sing that i think its in my range.....

this not so much.... but still fun to try

this is fun too :nod: impressive that he got through it without laughing his ass off

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I think he's a piece we desparately wanted and needed. He really compliments the D. And we had to compete against other teams.

I think our D pairs will be a lot more fluid, as opposed to just standrd 1-2-3 pairings
i can also see him sliding up for Siegs when/if siegs play drops off. he will be our first PKer i am sure of it and most likely out there when we’re up a goal with under a min left.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
I think he's a piece we desparately wanted and needed. He really compliments the D. And we had to compete against other teams.

I think our D pairs will be a lot more fluid, as opposed to just standrd 1-2-3 pairings
agree considering our 1st pair might be the worst defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad