GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitz still has three months to conjure up one or two forwards, specifically a scoring winger. He basically managed to address every other hole in a couple weeks

And quite honestly this might have to wait until after the Mercer deal gets resolved unless someone out there is willing to come cheap

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I think people are letting 4 mil for a 3rd pair D slide way too easily.
There are only a handful of players with Dillon's skillset / temperament that can play top 4 minutes as needed. That earns a premium and one a team constructed like the Devs should be willing to pay.

Overpaying for his skillset, sure. But unlikely that it's an overpay on the value he brings to THIS team and the young dmen. And the latter is what matters more.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fitz still has three months plus to conjure up one or two forwards, specifically a scoring winger. He basically managed to address every other hole in a couple weeks

I do think there is a world where he only signs a cheap depth piece that can play in the middle 6, like a Tatar and tries to get a bigger rental scoring wing in season.

As much as we need another forward I would rather go in with what we have then say give Henrique 3x$5.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The problem is that some people are acting like we're definitely done. And there's no indications that we're definitely done.

We don't have a ton of cap space left to get anyone too significant after Mercer gets re-upped. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Mercer is in the low $3's. Fitz has usually given out less money on second contracts/RFA's than what many of us thought they'd get. Other than Jack, who is on a very friendly deal for what he is anyway.

But back to potential acquisitions, I still think there's several guys near the bottom of the roster payroll who will be waivers/Utica bound to make some room if need be.

Reactions: MachoDiablo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The problem is that some people are acting like we're definitely done. And there's no indications that we're definitely done.

We don't have a ton of cap space left to get anyone too significant after Mercer gets re-upped. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Mercer is in the low $3's. Fitz has usually given out less money on second contracts/RFA's than what many of us thought they'd get. Other than Jack, who is on a very friendly deal for what he is anyway.

But back to potential acquisitions, I still think there's several guys near the bottom of the roster payroll who will be waivers/Utica bound to make some room if need be.

I doubt we are done, but I'm not sure what we do. Depends how creative and mean they get with Mercer, whether they find a way to toss Bastian overboard, etc.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So I'm open to a lot of different viewpoints regarding what remaining moves the Devs have to make before opening night. However, not making any more additions is not one of them. That isn't acceptable. It'd be batshit insane to go into the season banking on a rebound+ breakout from Mercer AND 100% perfect forward health.

Especially when you just added a 35 year old goalie with 2 years left and have no 1st round pick next year. Rolling into the season with 1-2 holes in your top 6 and no C depth isn't acceptable considering the circumstances. Contradictory moves are how organizations end up in purgatory for a decade+.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't an addition prior to opening night. Wouldn't be the first time though.

I feel like I’m going crazy seeing talks of adding wingers as if we don’t only have 3 real centers on the team.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
It's crazy how people are fine with this with how every season has been failed by relying on shit like this. From the goalie collapse to the injury disaster, we really want to go into next season relying on a super thin forward lineup at 100% health? People are on some kind of high
Yup. Plus it isn't like the org has a single prospect ready to step into that top 9/6 this year. There isn't anyone you risk boxing out. Expect additional move(s).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
An extra winger keeps Haula at center. It's not ideal depth wise but there isn't exactly a ton of affordable centers floating around right now and we are up against the cap.

Rico still probably makes the most sense positionally, but I am having trouble seeing how we can fit him in.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I doubt we are done, but I'm not sure what we do. Depends how creative and mean they get with Mercer, whether they find a way to toss Bastian overboard, etc.
Without having sat down and went through everything thoroughly, I think DeSimone is destined for waivers/Utica. He's older, he's never been an NHL regular. I thought maybe he was signed to be the #7 guy, but now I don't believe that anymore. Since he was re-signed we've added three additional defensemen, while subtracting just one.

I don't think Bastian is a lock for the roster. He's signed for this year. If he were a UFA after this year then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been re-signed. If it comes down to Bastian or Lazar, I think they prefer Lazar and I think it's been that way since the start of last year, despite my protests about it at that time.

I really don't think Foote is going to be a regular unless he wows at camp/in preseason, but he isn't even signed as of right now. And he'll be a league minimum-ish contract.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Why do you doubt it? Both Power and Sanderson’s deals start with an 8. Even if it’s not 8 and Luke takes a bit less it’s high 7s.
Idk I just don’t think he’s worth that yet but He probably ends up getting paid just because of his last name. Power and Sanderson can both play in all situations and log lots of minutes. Luke still looks like a forward playing defense to me. Maybe we have had jacks winger all along just playing the wrong position :sarcasm:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Without having sat down and went through everything thoroughly, I think DeSimone is destined for waivers/Utica. He's older, he's never been an NHL regular. I thought maybe he was signed to be the #7 guy, but now I don't believe that anymore. Since he was re-signed we've added three additional defensemen, while subtracting just one.

I don't think Bastian is a lock for the roster. He's signed for this year. If he were a UFA after this year then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been re-signed. If it comes down to Bastian or Lazar, I think they prefer Lazar and I think it's been that way since the start of last year, despite my protests about it at that time.

I really don't think Foote is going to be a regular unless he wows at camp, but he isn't even signed as of right now. And he'll be a league minimum-ish contract.

DeSimone is definitely being waived, he doesn't need to be on the roster.

Getting rid of Bastian would make life a bit easier. I have zero expectations that he is going to contribute anything for us so I wouldn't mind tossing him

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Send Bastian somewhere, Sprong in for 2 mil, get some guy for C depth (100% should’ve been Nosek for league min tho), bury MacD in Utica.
MacDermid in Utica is something that won't happen this year IMO. I think most of us wish it would, but it won't.

Maybe once Rempemania dies down, which I think could happen as soon as later on this year.

We may even be able to trade MacDermid at one point down the road, just like Colorado traded him to us. But he's got 3 years of term attached to him now.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007

Fitz didn't fix everything on day one of free agency? What a joke.:sarcasm:
Tag all the people claiming the Devs are done after today. I don't see any. Maybe 1. But then again, my ignore list is quite hefty these days, so maybe you guys aren't just making a strawman. 90% of people seem to be talking about the moves today/this offseason and what additions could be made.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't think people are fine with it, it's facing the reality that there is very little left out there and we are really tight cap wise now.

If Fitz can work some magic and get another middle 6 forward in here, I don't think anyone is going to object much

There definitely are. Yes, we all know the cap is tight, but to be ok with the roster as is now is unacceptable

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
An extra winger keeps Haula at center. It's not ideal depth wise but there isn't exactly a ton of affordable centers floating around right now and we are up against the cap.

Rico still probably makes the most sense positionally, but I am having trouble seeing how we can fit him in.
Henrique specifically said he’s not looking for money at this stage in his career.

So if he’s willing to take a discount around 3.5 million, it’s doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad