• Maxim Masse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. In the seventh poll I am voting for Sam Colangelo.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2024 Ducks Prospect Rankings:

1. LW - Cutter Gauthier (2024 acquired)
2. RW - Beckett Sennecke (2024 draftee)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (no change)
4. D - Tristan Luneau (+1)
5. D - Stian Solberg (2024 draftee)
6. G - Damian Clara (+16)

Our graduates and departures are:

Leo Carlsson
Pavel Mintyukov
Lukas Dostal
Jackson LaCombe
Connor Hvidston
Jacob Perreault
Pavol Regenda
Benoit-Olivier Groulx
Brayden Tracey
Blake McLaughlin
Gage Alexander
Ben King
Jack Perbix
Artyom Galimov
Albin Sundsvik​

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm usually guilty of voting for shiny new prospect but this time I'm going with Colangelo, a guy who''s really turned it around after a slow start since he was drafted. Its now possible he'll end up being a better NHLer than Bordeleau whom I preferred over Colangelo in the 2nd round of 2020. He completely surpassed Perreault whom I was once higher on than him.

Ducks need this win with him panning out, Bordeleau's game isn't really well suited for the bottom 6 so if he doesn't make it as a top6 guy with SJ, he's gonna have a hard time. If Colangelo doesn't make it in the top 6 with Ducks he can still become a very good 3rd line guy who brings size and scoring and compete.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It seems like there's quite a few directions one could go at this point.

Colangelo, Hinds, Pettersson, Warren, Dionicio, Nesterenko, Gaucher, Sidorov, Terrance, Moore, Pitre, Pastujov, Masse, Procyszyn, Smith are all pretty legit prospects, Suchanek has played his way into that mix as well. Myatovic a bit of a wildcard after a really tough year, but I still like his upside. Helleson seems to have plateaued but is still young enough to figure it out. Clang probably shouldn't be written off after his first NA season. That's 19 names which means they can't all be top 20 or barely top 25.

There's higher upside players left, but I'm going with the guy who I'm most certain will play, and for whom I can most easily picture what he'll be at the NHL level - Tyson Hinds

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Colangelo had a wonderful ride last year and proving his sophomore season did show us a glimpse of that scoring talent. Although it was a small sample in the pros, Colangelo has a knack for scoring. What I like about Colangelo's progression is that he was able to overcome two huge adversities: injury that derailed his freshman season and a coaching staff that misused him in his junior season. That perseverance + talent makes it easier to project Colangelo has a higher chance of reaching his ceiling.

a big, PF RW who can score to complement one of our many centers... yes, please!

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Colangelo, then it's a bit of a toss-up for me between Nesterenko and Suchanek, then Gaucher, Dionicio and Petterson. Then we move into the messy muck of stuff where I start voting purely on vibes.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Tough choice between Cola, Lucas and Rod.
Dionicio is an exciting prospect but there is a real chance he never plays more than 40 games in the NHL. Anywhere in the top 10 seems like a reach for a guy will such a low floor. Love his potential though...I guess it all depends on how people view what this poll represents.

Colangelo is similar...I doubt anyone would be surprised if he scored 15 in the NHL this year or 15 in the AHL. He's just a real wildcard who is a couple of years ahead of Dionicio. Far from a sure thing.

Pettersson is different. He is almost certainly going to have an NHL career and he has the solid potential to play 2nd line W or C. I think if you asked most NHL scouts or execs who is the "best" of the 3 prospects, Pettersson is going to get 80% of the votes.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dionicio is an exciting prospect but there is a real chance he never plays more than 40 games in the NHL. Anywhere in the top 10 seems like a reach for a guy will such a low floor. Love his potential though...I guess it all depends on how people view what this poll represents.

Colangelo is similar...I doubt anyone would be surprised if he scored 15 in the NHL this year or 15 in the AHL. He's just a real wildcard who is a couple of years ahead of Dionicio. Far from a sure thing.

Pettersson is different. He is almost certainly going to have an NHL career and he has the solid potential to play 2nd line W or C. I think if you asked most NHL scouts or execs who is the "best" of the 3 prospects, Pettersson is going to get 80% of the votes.

It's difficult to compare Colangelo with Pettersson b/c they're four years apart in their development stages.

Colangelo and Pettersson appear to be in similar situations in their draft year such that they were high offensive producers at lower levels. Because the production was done at a lower level of competition that both went in the 2nd round of the draft. Pettersson went 35th in 2024 and Colangelo went 36th in 2020. We're hoping that the forwards will pan out b/c Anaheim has struck out often with forward picks beyond the top-10.

D+0
PlayerSeasonLeagueGPGAPts+/-
ColangeloD+0USHL
44​
28​
30​
58​
32​
PetterssonD+0J20 (Sweden)
44​
27​
30​
57​
27​

We don't know how Pettersson will produce at a higher level, but we do have several years worth of info of Colangelo at college as well as the small sample in the AHL (4gp, 4 pts) and NHL (3gp, 1g). They're also two different types of players: one is a scoring jitterbug and the other a scoring PF.

One of the flaws Colangelo had when being picked was the lack of speed. About four years later at last year's Dev camp, Colangelo showed off that improved speed as he looked like a man on a mission as one of the standout prospects. That improvement carried into his final collegiate season as well as the AHL, where he shined like a diamond and landed an ELC.

Colangelo's development is much further along than Pettersson and is much less of an unknown, which is why I picked Colangelo over Pettersson. While I do have very high hopes for Pettersson, his development evolution remains unknown. The one trait that is superior with Pettersson is his skating. Now, he needs to add more mass and see if he can play against older and better competition.

I want both of these forwards to pan out so the scouts can get the monkey off of their backs about not being able to draft forwards well beyond the top-10.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Going with Colangelo, but it is simply by NHL readiness and adequate progress. He will be overtaken by some prospects but I can't say who.

I think highest upside will be between Sidorov, Pettersson and Dionicio. They could become very impactful. I'm debating bunching Massé in that group as he has a very good package and already showed up as one of the more ready guys during dev camp.

In the end despite lacking game breaking ability, I think Colangelo will be a very steady NHLer. If he turns out to have a career resembling anything between Henrique or Cogliano that would be massive for the Ducks.

Where as the forementioned group has to beat very good NHL players to get in the lineup, I think Colangelo has a roster spot already so that's another hurdle he can bypass.

Reactions: Arthuros

Giguere27

Feb 4, 2006
Bavaria
Voted Colangelo, but at this point it gets really difficult as arguments can be made for so many prospects.

Crazy, that some of the new draftees, who look promising, have to be added to the poll first.

Reactions: Arthuros
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It seems like there's quite a few directions one could go at this point.

Colangelo, Hinds, Pettersson, Warren, Dionicio, Nesterenko, Gaucher, Sidorov, Terrance, Moore, Pitre, Pastujov, Masse, Procyszyn, Smith are all pretty legit prospects, Suchanek has played his way into that mix as well. Myatovic a bit of a wildcard after a really tough year, but I still like his upside. Helleson seems to have plateaued but is still young enough to figure it out. Clang probably shouldn't be written off after his first NA season. That's 19 names which means they can't all be top 20 or barely top 25.

There's higher upside players left, but I'm going with the guy who I'm most certain will play, and for whom I can most easily picture what he'll be at the NHL level - Tyson Hinds
I have a group of guys all at roughly the same level for me, much smaller than yours. Colangelo, Hinds, Gaucher, Terrance, Pitre, Nesterenko, Suchanek. Colangelo is the top of that bunch for me because I sense a trajectory in him, from the dev and rookie camps last year, where he was a standout (to me anyway), to his college season, and then to the Gulls and the Ducks, where he looked legit. Obviously a full season is a different beast but on this paper thin team he could get significant top 6 minutes and have a solid rookie season.

Of the rest, Hinds stands out to me the most because of his defensive upside but he’s at least a year away still IMO. He needs to turn those flashes from last year into an everyday thing. The rest are projects that I like or in Nesterenko’s case, an almost finished product but who still doesn’t quite have enough to be an everyday NHLer.

Still a really deep prospect pool.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think this is where the prospect pool bumps down to a lower tier of guys who may or may not become career NHL players. Some of them may still end up as quality players in the NHL, but there are question marks for one reason or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad