• Darels Uljanskis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. In the nineteenth poll I am voting for Coulson Pitre.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2024 Ducks Prospect Rankings:

1. LW - Cutter Gauthier (2024 acquired)
2. RW - Beckett Sennecke (2024 draftee)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (no change)
4. D - Tristan Luneau (+1)
5. D - Stian Solberg (2024 draftee)
6. G - Damian Clara (+16)
7. RW - Sam Colangelo (+18)
8. C - Lucas Pettersson (2024 draftee)
9. D - Rodwin Dionicio (2023 HM)
10. C - Nathan Gaucher (-2)
11. G - Tomas Suchanek (2024 acquired)
12. D - Tyson Hinds (-5)
13. RW - Yegor Sidorov (+10)
14. LW - Nikita Nesterenko (+2)
15. D - Ian Moore (-2)
16. D - Noah Warren (-1)
17. RW - Maxim Massé (2024 draftee)
18. C - Carey Terrance (+3)

Our graduates and departures are:

Leo Carlsson
Pavel Mintyukov
Lukas Dostal
Jackson LaCombe
Connor Hvidston
Jacob Perreault
Pavol Regenda
Benoit-Olivier Groulx
Brayden Tracey
Blake McLaughlin
Gage Alexander
Ben King
Jack Perbix
Artyom Galimov
Albin Sundsvik​

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I believe every eligible Ducks prospect has now either been ranked or added to the poll, if I’m forgetting anyone please let me know

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's the pool not him. I would have no problem with him being anywhere after like 8 or 9.

Yup.

Pasta had an injury plagued year in his rookie season in the AHL. Gaucher and Hinds both took drops in this year's ranking as they too where rookies in the AHL this past season. Production drops happen when you go from non-pro to the pros. Pasta's last year in the CHL/OHL, he put up 1.63 ppg (60 games, 41g + 57a). That beats Sidorov's last year in the CHL/WHL where scored 1.33 ppg (66 games, 50g + 38a). 'jov & 'rov are eerily similar type players: big time scores who can't skate.

Gaucher put up 0.35 ppg in his rookie season in the AHL, but Pasta scored 0.50 ppg.

Reactions: Arthuros and Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Yup.

Pasta had an injury plagued year in his rookie season in the AHL. Gaucher and Hinds both took drops in this year's ranking as they too where rookies in the AHL this past season. Production drops happen when you go from non-pro to the pros. Pasta's last year in the CHL/OHL, he put up 1.63 ppg (60 games, 41g + 57a). That beats Sidorov's last year in the CHL/WHL where scored 1.33 ppg (66 games, 50g + 38a). 'jov & 'rov are eerily similar type players: big time scores who can't skate.

Gaucher put up 0.35 ppg in his rookie season in the AHL, but Pasta scored 0.50 ppg.
True, but poor comparison. One guy is an offensive winger. The other is a defensive center that is physical.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
True, but poor comparison. One guy is an offensive winger. The other is a defensive center that is physical.
But it is a truism that production tends to drop as prospects step up in professional ranks, at least at first. But I agree the comparison isn’t on all fours because arguably Gaucher’s production is more impressive than Pasta’s, given how they each produced in juniors.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

And one guy was drafted in the 1st round and the other in the 3rd round. One guy is 6'3 and 207 lbs who has good straight line speed while the other is 6'0 and 183 lbs, but can't skate fast. Gaucher and Pasta were linemates on the 3rd line. I just remember Pasta playing on the 4th and 3rd lines often. Gaucher has the pro build since he was drafted, but it's the little guy doing offensive damage in the bottom-6. Gaucher's offense pops to life when he has RW Caulfield and an offensive winger in Tracey or Pastujov. Remove Caulfield and that line's offense dwindles.

Gaucher is ranked 10th on our list. Now, factor in the previous paragraph that identified Sidorov, who I did specifically cite as essentially the same player except that Pastujov had a higher offensive output in his D+2 season in the CHL, and how Sidorov was ranked 13th on our list. Those two forwards are ranked at #10 and #13, but Pasta isn't ranked close to either one reveals that Pasta has been severely overlooked. As I have often stated, if you love Sidorov, then how do you not love Pastujov equally or more?

The only reason to not love Pastujov is recency bias. Last season in the AHL was Pasta's D+3 season. Last season in the CHL was Sidorov's D+2 season, where he scored 50 goals, but his ppg rate was weaker than Pasta's D+2 CHL productions.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What is best case scenario for Gaucher ? Nate Thompson, David Steckel, Vermete or Konopka ?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
And one guy was drafted in the 1st round and the other in the 3rd round. One guy is 6'3 and 207 lbs who has good straight line speed while the other is 6'0 and 183 lbs, but can't skate fast. Gaucher and Pasta were linemates on the 3rd line. I just remember Pasta playing on the 4th and 3rd lines often. Gaucher has the pro build since he was drafted, but it's the little guy doing offensive damage in the bottom-6. Gaucher's offense pops to life when he has RW Caulfield and an offensive winger in Tracey or Pastujov. Remove Caulfield and that line's offense dwindles.

Gaucher is ranked 10th on our list. Now, factor in the previous paragraph that identified Sidorov, who I did specifically cite as essentially the same player except that Pastujov had a higher offensive output in his D+2 season in the CHL, and how Sidorov was ranked 13th on our list. Those two forwards are ranked at #10 and #13, but Pasta isn't ranked close to either one reveals that Pasta has been severely overlooked. As I have often stated, if you love Sidorov, then how do you not love Pastujov equally or more?

The only reason to not love Pastujov is recency bias. Last season in the AHL was Pasta's D+3 season. Last season in the CHL was Sidorov's D+2 season, where he scored 50 goals, but his ppg rate was weaker than Pasta's D+2 CHL productions.
I agree to the extent that it doesn’t make sense that Sidorov ranks above Pasta. Pasta is a better version of him, at least on paper.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Gaucher projects as a bottom six defensive center and PK'er. The offensive production isn't as important for a player in that role. Pastujov is a scoring winger. He needs to put up points to get an NHL shot.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Gaucher projects as a bottom six defensive center and PK'er. The offensive production isn't as important for a player in that role. Pastujov is a scoring winger. He needs to put up points to get an NHL shot.
If production is not important for a player, then his potential is 4th line at best, not bottom six.
Ofc in regards to Pasta, his production is less important, as you said, it's a scorer or bust for him. Albeit I do recall he had been playing PK in San Diego but don't quote me on that.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If production is not important for a player, then his potential is 4th line at best, not bottom six.
Ofc in regards to Pasta, his production is less important, as you said, it's a scorer or bust for him. Albeit I do recall he had been playing PK in San Diego but don't quote me on that.
To be fair, He did say it is not AS important for Gaucher, which is accurate. He didn’t say it wasn’t important at all.

Reactions: Kalv and Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

You are mixing up future projections with current productions.

Both Gaucher and Pasta played as rookies in the AHL. Gaucher played mostly as a 3C in the AHL. Pasta played mostly 3rd and 4th line duties in the AHL, usually playing with Gaucher if on the 3rd line. It's pretty impressive for Pasta to be generating points in a bottom-6 role. Gaucher didn't really stand out as much without Caulfield on his right side. When that duo is together, they play hard defense and produce offensively. Gaucher-Caulfied have great chemistry.

• First season in the AHL:
    • Lundestrom: 12 games, 0g + 6a = 6 pts (0.50 ppg), and -6 rating.
    • Groulx: 42 games, 10g + 19a = 29 pts (0.69 ppg), and +14 rating.
    • Gaucher: 72 games, 10g + 15a = 25 pts (0.35 ppg), and +1 rating.

I've often compared Gaucher to Groulx. Gaucher is a bigger and slightly faster Groulx. But if offensive production doesn't matter for a shutdown bottom-6 center, then I hope I never hear complaints about Lundy not producing offense.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
You are mixing up future projections with current productions.

Both Gaucher and Pasta played as rookies in the AHL. Gaucher played mostly as a 3C in the AHL. Pasta played mostly 3rd and 4th line duties in the AHL, usually playing with Gaucher if on the 3rd line. It's pretty impressive for Pasta to be generating points in a bottom-6 role. Gaucher didn't really stand out as much without Caulfield on his right side. When that duo is together, they play hard defense and produce offensively. Gaucher-Caulfied have great chemistry.

• First season in the AHL:
    • Lundestrom: 12 games, 0g + 6a = 6 pts (0.50 ppg), and -6 rating.
    • Groulx: 42 games, 10g + 19a = 29 pts (0.69 ppg), and +14 rating.
    • Gaucher: 72 games, 10g + 15a = 25 pts (0.35 ppg), and +1 rating.

I've often compared Gaucher to Groulx. Gaucher is a bigger and slightly faster Groulx. But if offensive production doesn't matter for a shutdown bottom-6 center, then I hope I never hear complaints about Lundy not producing offense.
I'm not using AHL point totals at all in my projections. Gaucher (if he becomes an NHL player) will be used as a defensive center that is physical and kills penalties. That's what he was drafted to be. Gaucher will be expected to address the softness and lack of size on the current Ducks roster. Grouix and Lundestrom are not comparable players. Verbeek wants to change the vibe of the organization (hard to play against, in his words). Lundestrom is fine, skates well and is defensively responsible. I don't expect him to score much. But he is soft and we have enough forwards that don't hit anyone.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm not using AHL point totals at all in my projections. Gaucher (if he becomes an NHL player) will be used as a defensive center that is physical and kills penalties. That's what he was drafted to be. Gaucher will be expected to address the softness and lack of size on the current Ducks roster. Grouix and Lundestrom are not comparable players. Verbeek wants to change the vibe of the organization (hard to play against, in his words). Lundestrom is fine, skates well and is defensively responsible. I don't expect him to score much. But he is soft and we have enough forwards that don't hit anyone.
What if Gaucher becomes Pahlsson + Moen rolled into one player. Wins the faceoffs, shuts down the opposition, throws hits around drops the gloves whenever needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad