2024 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I, on the other hand, want Tij to be a Flame and will be quite honestly disappointed if it doesn't happen simply due to sentimental reasons. I don't care if he's his dad or not, he'll be a great player for his team and I want that team to be us. What I do expect to be similar to his dad, and I don't think this is unreasonable at all, is his character and dedication, and his willingness to devote himself to this city. There's just fewer question marks there with him.

I hate it when we let local kids we should have known better go to other teams and have amazing careers (like Brayden Point) while we outsmart ourselves going after other guys. I don't want to see it here.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
With Detroit paying a 2nd to dump cap, Conny better be in on deals like this. More picks this year is what this team needs. Plus I bet SJ can dump Walman at the deadline for another pick. I’m pissed Conny missed out on that one. But maybe he’s gunna land another first for someone else. Too many prospects I want.

Colton Roberts is another dude on my wish list. There’s some massive RH D this draft.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Funnily enough, it's the entire reason I don't want the Flames to draft him.

Too much pressure on the kid to be his dad and save the franchise.

Yeah I'd rather he not be here at all than have to watch fans run Jarome's son out of town because he isn't his dad. He's going to be a good player and I do want him here but he's not going to save us and he'll never be what Jarome was for this franchise.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Tij is definitely not Jarome. On the other hand, I do see some elements of what has made Chucky successful. With that said, I'd still prefer Catton over Tij.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Tij is definitely not Jarome. On the other hand, I do see some elements of what has made Chucky successful. With that said, I'd still prefer Catton over Tij.
A cross between Jarome and Tkachuk is intriguing however I do kind of hope in a way that between 4 and 8 a team takes Tij and leaves Catton for the Flames to take. The ideal would be figuring out how to get both of them because i think they both bring something that will be required to contend in the future but I just think Catton is the type of player that after drafting Tij the Flames would be spending the next 15 years looking for to play with Tij

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The concerns about the org/fans putting too much pressure on Tij are valid, I feel. That said, we are staring down the barrel of a long rebuild and frankly we need something, anything to be excited about. Sign me up for picking Tij if he is there. Whatever happens happens.
I concur, I think picking Tij is something that the fans can really rally around especially if the rebuild is going to take a few years. But ultimately I just want the Flames to pick guys who will be successful, core pieces of the team. If it's Tij, great! If it's Catton or someone else, that's good too.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I, on the other hand, want Tij to be a Flame and will be quite honestly disappointed if it doesn't happen simply due to sentimental reasons. I don't care if he's his dad or not, he'll be a great player for his team and I want that team to be us. What I do expect to be similar to his dad, and I don't think this is unreasonable at all, is his character and dedication, and his willingness to devote himself to this city. There's just fewer question marks there with him.

I hate it when we let local kids we should have known better go to other teams and have amazing careers (like Brayden Point) while we outsmart ourselves going after other guys. I don't want to see it here.
Bobby Margarita has him at 10, with 5 D going before him. That's as accurate a picture as we're going to get before the draft. If he's there at 9 he'll be a Flame.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I just hope they won't have Jarome announce the pick on stage if we do draft Tij. The Flames already have too much of an "old boys club" miasma surrounding them and that would not help.
So this perceived miasma would dissipate if they don't have Jarome announce his son, even with Conroy and Iggy running the team?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I just hope they won't have Jarome announce the pick on stage if we do draft Tij. The Flames already have too much of an "old boys club" miasma surrounding them and that would not help.
both Conroy and Jarome have stated that Iggy will be playing the part of a dad on draft day. and has played no part in the final decision on who that pick will be and will play no part related to the announcing that pick.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Don Maloney wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to be centre of attention, it’ll be him inviting Jarome to come and officially make the selection.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The root cause of the no.9 vs no.5 picks were silly comeback wins in the last 2 weeks of the season against Sharks and Arizona where we were losing before entering last periods.

Just be smarter next year and loose those games you don't need to win.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Should just make it easy and go full Flames alumni kid 1st round. Iginla and Ritchie.

Joking aside, I’d actually be quite happy to add those two players to the prospect pool. Then go Badinka in the 2nd.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Do you think that if we draft Tij, Jarome will come out of retirement and we’ll have our own Lebron/Bronny moment?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If you expect Tij to become Jarome you will be very disappointed. It's partly why I don't want the Flames to draft him even though I expect him to be a good player.
I want him to be like Matty vs Keith situation. May ain't the same player as Keith, but he's got his name on the grail.

I'd want same... But Flames silks for Tij.

Montreal probably takes him tho.

Should just make it easy and go full Flames alumni kid 1st round. Iginla and Ritchie.

Joking aside, I’d actually be quite happy to add those two players to the prospect pool. Then go Badinka in the 2nd.

There's a prospect named Badinka? That's awesome!

Reactions: User1996

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
My top 12 is as follows:

1. Celebrini
2. Catton
3. Buium
4. Levshunov
5. Parekh
6. Demidov
7. Eiserman
8. Helenius
9. Dickinson
10. Iginla
11. Lindstrom
12. Luchanko

I'm not saying this is the order they will go in. Just that is the order I'd draft them in. Obviously I'm higher on Catton and Buium than any scouts I've seen. Higher on Eiserman and Luchanko too.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
My top 12 is as follows:

1. Celebrini
2. Catton
3. Buium
4. Levshunov
5. Parekh
6. Demidov
7. Eiserman
8. Helenius
9. Dickinson
10. Iginla
11. Lindstrom
12. Luchanko

I'm not saying this is the order they will go in. Just that is the order I'd draft them in. Obviously I'm higher on Catton and Buium than any scouts I've seen. Higher on Eiserman and Luchanko too.
Most of it I get, but the complete absense of Silayev in the top 12 baffles me. If he scored a little more (and if he weren't Russian), there'd be no question he'd be a top 3 (and arguably, potential #1 instead of Celebrini). As it is, he's arguably the best skater in the draft (skating ability wise), is 6'7, just set scoring records in the KHL for a 17 year old (turned 18 over a month after the season was over), is physical, and has played a steady shut down middle pairing role on a playoff team. He's also been a captain or alternate on pretty much every international team he's played on.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I was low on Silayev for the longest time, and struggled to rank him high, but he’s my #4 prospect on my final list.

With him, I think it’s obvious there’s no huge offensive upside. But even at that, the overall upside is massive. He has the potential to be one of the best shutdown D in the league.

In Silayev’s case, you have to be aware that there is a very good chance he puts up Chris Tanev counting stats. But once you get over that, I think he’s got the potential to have a positive impact on the outcome of a game every bit as much as Lindstrom, Catton, Levshunov, etc.

If there’s even a 30 point D, you’re incredibly happy.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Silayev would be a great pick at 9. He compliments Morin, Brewski, Poirier so well. So would Dickinson.

I love Iginla at 9 but no way am I trading up for another winger. If I’m trading up it’s for Cayden Lindstrom. Hes the guy with 1C potential.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The cost to trade up inside the top 10 is going to monumental IMO, I wouldn't do it unless it's for an absolute bargain, and instead focus on trying to improve the 28th pick if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad