2024 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I just want Catton at 9. I think he's gone before then, but he's so clearly the best WHLer in this draft. I haven't seen the guys in other leagues to really comment, but I question the hockey acumen of anyone who has seen Tij and Catton play who thinks Tij is better.

I think we better study the Russian contingent for picks 28 onward. We've been heavily scouting Russia and I think we're going there heavily this draft.
It’s about projection though, not who is “the best”. I don't think I’ve seen many people dispute that Catton was the best player this season out of Lindstrom, Iginla, Yakemchuk, and Catton.

Does he clearly project to be a better NHL player? I think that’s an incredibly interesting conversation, but I also don’t think it’s a question that has a clear answer.

To question the hockey acumen of anyone who have ranked them in any other order means questioning essentially every individual who has put out a rankings list.

For full disclosure, I have them as: Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Yakemchuk.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d be happy with Catton for sure. But I agree it’s about projecting, not who’s better now.

I think Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Buium and Demidov are all gone. It will come down to one of the following:

Parekh: maybe the highest potential of any player not named Celebrini, also probably the lowest floor. Really the straw that stirred the drink for a very meh Saginaw team

Catton: super skilled but tends to do too much. Bit of a turnover machine but I think that’s from playing on a brutal Spokane team. Not sure if he projects as a C but he’s about as sure a bet to become a top 6 as any forward.

Iginla: not as dynamic yet as Catton. But he just never makes a bad play. His ability to hold onto pucks and make plays out of the corner reminds me of Matt Tkachuk.

Yakemchuk: Physical. Crazy vision and a booming shot. I feel his skating issues are way overblown. Similar to Catton he does too much in a bad team and can put himself in a bad place. Projecting 3-4 years down the road he’s got a chance to be special imo.

Silayev: I think he could be a hidden gem. A guy that 6’7 and can skate like him with a mean streak is something that you can build a backend around. Would I take him over the forwards? probably not. But I think there is a chance he ends up being a pretty special player.

Sennecke: he’s good but he won’t be a player that can become elite like those other guys can. He’d be a good player on a team like NJ that already has their stars in place. I’m leery of players with production issues Virtanen, Ritchie, etc. as they tend to bust pretty often. Honestly I’d want anyone but him from this list.

Reactions: User1996

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Silayev: I think he could be a hidden gem. A guy that 6’7 and can skate like him with a mean streak is something that you can build a backend around. Would I take him over the forwards? probably not. But I think there is a chance he ends up being a pretty special player.
With that in mind, what do you think about trading Van's pick and something else (a second+prospect or something) to Buffalo or Philly (pick 11 or 12) to grab Silayev if he's still there. Because that's the kind of D I feel would be incredibly important for us in the future

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
With that in mind, what do you think about trading Van's pick and something else (a second+prospect or something) to Buffalo or Philly (pick 11 or 12) to grab Silayev if he's still there. Because that's the kind of D I feel would be incredibly important for us in the future
I don’t mind getting another pick in that range, but Silayev wouldn’t be the target. He’s a guy I think you hope is there at 9. I don’t see anyway he lasts until 11 or 12. 9 may even be pushing it.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Yakemchuk: Physical. Crazy vision and a booming shot. I feel his skating issues are way overblown. Similar to Catton he does too much in a bad team and can put himself in a bad place. Projecting 3-4 years down the road he’s got a chance to be special imo.
Yakemchuk would be the only of the realistic options at 9 that I would be disappointed in. I honestly think there’s a solid chance you end up with a better defenceman if you were to wait until 28 or the early 2nd and select a Badinka, Pulkkinen, Muggli, Freij.

I just don’t love his game. The upside is probably worth betting on mid-1st for me, not 9. I think a lot has to go right in his development for that upside to ever be reached.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’d be happy with Catton for sure. But I agree it’s about projecting, not who’s better now.

I think Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Buium and Demidov are all gone. It will come down to one of the following:

Parekh: maybe the highest potential of any player not named Celebrini, also probably the lowest floor. Really the straw that stirred the drink for a very meh Saginaw team

Catton: super skilled but tends to do too much. Bit of a turnover machine but I think that’s from playing on a brutal Spokane team. Not sure if he projects as a C but he’s about as sure a bet to become a top 6 as any forward.

Iginla: not as dynamic yet as Catton. But he just never makes a bad play. His ability to hold onto pucks and make plays out of the corner reminds me of Matt Tkachuk.

Sennecke: he’s good but he won’t be a player that can become elite like those other guys can. He’d be a good player on a team like NJ that already has their stars in place. I’m leery of players with production issues Virtanen, Ritchie, etc. as they tend to bust pretty often. Honestly I’d want anyone but him from this list.

I dig this.
It's hard to project some of these guys when they stir the drink for their clubs at this age when the clubs really stink.

I think Catton is a decent pick. The skill is there, and I know there's been talk about is he a centre in the NHL or a winger which a lot is based on size; I mean, there's this similar sized guy from Calgary whose dad begged us to pick and we passed on. Turns out he's a really good centre. I'll also add, I really like Calgary drafting out of Western Canada on some of these high skill guys. Really like idea of guys who'll be here for a decade.

This is a can't miss draft spot for this team though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I got nothing against Catton but the Flames taking another spin around the 'is it a center or a winger?' track might just finally kill me.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I got nothing against Catton but the Flames taking another spin around the 'is it a center or a winger?' track might just finally kill me.

Aren't Celebrini and Lindstrom the only two guys this early that are pure centres? Then guys like Konsta Helenius?
Pretty sure this team will either spin the what are they wheel or go D there right?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Aren't Celebrini and Lindstrom the only two guys this early that are pure centres? Then guys like Konsta Helenius?
Pretty sure this team will either spin the what are they wheel or go D there right?

I don't even think Lindstrom is a sure thing to be a top 6 center honestly. His playmaking ability isn't great. But he's big and fast so he's got that advantage. Helenius from what I've seen should be a C but more in the Backlund mold than a big time producer.

I think they want a forward with #9, all the young defenseman they've acquired over the last year it'd be surprising to not have at least 1 or 2 top 4 D quality from what's in their system already. Will be an interesting draft for sure, especially with the lack of separation 3-12.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Of the realistic options, my preference is definitely Catton. Iginla would be fun.

Any of the D (including Yakemchuk) I could live with.

Don't really want Helenius or Sennecke they look like role players to me more than potential elite pieces. Maybe higher floors, but we are rebuilding. Now isn't the time to be sniffing around for a 3C.

Reactions: Janks

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Noel Fransen has had a pretty nice development curve. From pointless in 5 J20 games in Sweden and just over a PPG in J18 in Sweden last year to a PPG in J20 this year, and getting SHL games in.

Moves the puck very well, and defends pretty physically. Definitely on my list of targets for the 2nd round, along with a few others.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Noel Fransen has had a pretty nice development curve. From pointless in 5 J20 games in Sweden and just over a PPG in J18 in Sweden last year to a PPG in J20 this year, and getting SHL games in.

Moves the puck very well, and defends pretty physically. Definitely on my list of targets for the 2nd round, along with a few others.
Must be a riser, he's not even on my 2nd rnd radar. Don't think I've seen him on other lists.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Must be a riser, he's not even on my 2nd rnd radar. Don't think I've seen him on other lists.
I might have him a bit higher than the consensus, but I’ve seen a couple lately that have him in 2nd round range. I like him as an option with the second 2.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
My 2nd rnd wish list is hoping 1 of Beaudoin, Miettinen, Emery, Elick, Pulkkinen are available

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Idk about Lindstrom. He's a really interesting player but his injury history is concerning.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Silayev will not be picked in the 10s. I’d be fairly shocked if he’s available at 9, and if he is it’s because the top of the draft went more forward heavy than most predicted with Levshunov and maybe a Buium or Dickinson being some of few defense picked. My bet is from 2-5 a GM is picking him, and they’re doing so with the hope they just picked the next Chara. If he’s there at 9 and the main group of forwards are gone Calgary should sprint to the table. His floor is a relatively high end shutdown defenseman.

Reactions: User1996

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
So help me god, we better be really sure if we’re eyeing a Dman at pick 9. Or at least find a way to get another top 15 pick

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So basically barring a run on defence prior to 9th, the Flames are probably taking a defenseman with their pick

“There’s probably seven defencemen and five forwards in that mix,” Button said. “With that said, the odds might be that you get a defenceman, but we’re going to get to Vegas, do our top-15 in so and then we’ll put that in place and do the rest of the draft.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So basically barring a run on defence prior to 9th, the Flames are probably taking a defenseman with their pick

1719345592344.png

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
I haven't been following the draft this year at all, but I really want flames to pick Tij and for him to become Jarome 2.0.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I haven't been following the draft this year at all, but I really want flames to pick Tij and for him to become Jarome 2.0.

If you expect Tij to become Jarome you will be very disappointed. It's partly why I don't want the Flames to draft him even though I expect him to be a good player.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad