Lucas Fischer D 6'4 USA
Spencer Gill 6'4 D Can
Ben Danford 6'2 D Can
Daniil Ustinkov 6'1 D Swi
Harrison Brunicke D 6'3 Can
Sebastian Soini D 6'2 Fin
Niilopekka Muhonen 6'4 D Fin

Trevliving built teams prefers big moblie dman
Head scout Wes Clark has drafted every small player he can find. Let's hope that changes

We have a 1st rnd pick
No second rnd pick
3rd rnd pick from NYI
4th rnd pick
5th rnd pick
5th rnd pick from chic
5th rnd pick from Vancouver
6th r d pick
7th rnd pick
7th rnd pick from Ottawa

We aren't getting Sam Dickinson.

Reactions: horner and arso40

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if Lilly has 1st round pick value like Sandin did.

Assuming the Leafs keep the pick, and they need a lot of changes so I'm not convinced they will but if they do I want Henrey Mews.

but I think there is going to be big changes and I don't think that pick is off the table.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Should be trying to get a RHD or C imo.

Elick/Emery and Luchanko could be some interesting options.

Jiricek been listed all over the place so could maybe still be avail at our pick, Freij could be an option for D if they want a more transition/puck moving dude.

Honestly I think Elick and Luchanko probably my top 2 hopes for the leafs pick (unless someone obviously falls).

Leafs desperately need someone like Elick. Tired of paying premium assets every year at the deadline just to get someone like that for a playoff run.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
Should be trying to get a RHD or C imo.

Elick/Emery and Luchanko could be some interesting options.

Jiricek been listed all over the place so could maybe still be avail at our pick, Freij could be an option for D if they want a more transition/puck moving dude.

Honestly I think Elick and Luchanko probably my top 2 hopes for the leafs pick (unless someone obviously falls).

Leafs desperately need someone like Elick. Tired of paying premium assets every year at the deadline just to get someone like that for a playoff run.

Assuming the Leafs keep the pick, and they need a lot of changes so I'm not convinced they will but if they do I want Henrey Mews.

but I think there is going to be big changes and I don't think that pick is off the table.
Find another sucker like Washington.
Maybe an early 2nd rd pk to a lier team
SJ 42nd
Utah 38 th

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Our drafting the past few years has been very good especially if you factor in where many of our picks were being made.

Right now is in theory the time you want to give them as many bullets as possible and hope they pull off a Dallas like drafting run.

This is very depressing...

View attachment 874498

It'll be interesting if they do trade Marner. I'd be opposed to a pure futures trade but if they could pick up a 1st for next year as part of the trade that would be nice.

Maybe they can turns guys like Kampf and Jarnkrok into some more mid-round picks. Not that mid-round picks necessarily have a good chance of turning into a better player, but I think both of those guys are replaceable and they might need the cap space for more important things.

Reactions: weems

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
There are a few dman available in the draft which is deep

Artyom Levshunov RD 6'3
Sam Dickinson 6'3 LD
Aron Kiviharju, D, 5'10 Fin
Henry Mews RD 6'0 Can
Cole Hutson, D, 5'10 USA
John Whipple D 6'0 USA
Veeti Vaisanen LD 5'11 Fin
Zayne Parekh, D 6'0 Can
Adam Jiricek RD 6'1 Cze
Jakub Chromiak, D 5'11 Can
Carter Yakemchuk RD 6'3 Can
Will Skahan LD 6'4 USA
Charlie Elick D, 6'3 Can
Zeev Buium, D 6'0 USA
Anthony Cristoforo, D 5'11Can
Tomas Lavoie D 6'4 Can
Owen Phillips D 6'0 Can
Anton Silayev, D, 6'7 Rus
Matvei Shuravin D, 6'3 Rus
EJ Emery D 6'3 USA
Alfons Freij D 6'1 Swe
Jesse Pulkkinen D 6'6 Fin
Leo Sahlin Wallenius D 5'11 Swe
Gabriel Eliasson D 6'6 Swe
Lucas Fischer D 6'4 USA
Spencer Gill 6'4 D Can
Ben Danford 6'2 D Can

Head scout Wes Clark has drafted every small player he can find. Let's hope that changes

We have a 1st rnd pick
No second rnd pick
3rd rnd pick from NYI
4th rnd pick
5th rnd pick
5th rnd pick from chic
6th r d pick
7th rnd pick
7th rnd pick from Ottawa
We don't have a 3rd from NYI or a 6th???

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The problem with D is its so rare that a D comes up and is actually effective while on their ELC. Its happening right now with Harley but its definitely very rare. With a D pick if they dont turn into a stud top pair D it isnt really worth it. Problem is you dont get those stud top pair Ds unless its through the draft. If they turn out to be second or third pair, you can find that in FA pretty easily and probably better to have the experienced guy. ELC forwards are very effective for scoring depth and a lot better to have in the pipeline when you are a contending team looking for effective salary savings.
100% agree on this. Defencemen picked in our range won’t be making an NHL impact for another 4-5 years.

Unless it’s a can’t miss Dman, I’d rather someone help us while Matthews is still locked up.

horner

May 22, 2007
100% agree on this. Defencemen picked in our range won’t be making an NHL impact for another 4-5 years.

Unless it’s a can’t miss Dman, I’d rather someone help us while Matthews is still locked up.
It's fine to draft a forward nut at some time you are going to have to use your forward depth to trade for young dman that are a year or two away.
Webber traded for a 5th that was a good trade hopefully he is 2 yrs away.
We need to start looking after d prospects.

horner

May 22, 2007
There are a few dman available in the draft which is deep

Artyom Levshunov RD 6'3
Sam Dickinson 6'3 LD
Aron Kiviharju, D, 5'10 Fin
Henry Mews RD 6'0 Can
Cole Hutson, D, 5'10 USA
John Whipple D 6'0 USA
Veeti Vaisanen LD 5'11 Fin
Zayne Parekh, D 6'0 Can
Adam Jiricek RD 6'1 Cze
Jakub Chromiak, D 5'11 Can
Carter Yakemchuk RD 6'3 Can
Will Skahan LD 6'4 USA
Charlie Elick D, 6'3 Can
Zeev Buium, D 6'0 USA
Anthony Cristoforo, D 5'11Can
Tomas Lavoie D 6'4 Can
Owen Phillips D 6'0 Can
Anton Silayev, D, 6'7 Rus
Matvei Shuravin D, 6'3 Rus
EJ Emery D 6'3 USA
Alfons Freij D 6'1 Swe
Jesse Pulkkinen D 6'6 Fin
Leo Sahlin Wallenius D 5'11 Swe
Gabriel Eliasson D 6'6 Swe
Lucas Fischer D 6'4 USA
Spencer Gill 6'4 D Can
Ben Danford 6'2 D Can

We have a 1st rnd pick
No second rnd pick
3rd rnd pick from NYI
4th rnd pick
5th rnd pick
5th rnd pick from chic
6th r d pick
7th rnd pick
7th rnd pick from Ottawa
Chadwick 6' 4"

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
I don't follow CHL much, but I figured I would look at the London Knights draft eligibles, as we should he hoarding players from that program every year.

How about Sam O'Reilly? Similar production to Easton Cowan draft eligible year and looks projected as a 2nd round pick. Maybe an under the radar pick like Cowan was.

Reactions: Budz

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't follow CHL much, but I figured I would look at the London Knights draft eligibles, as we should he hoarding players from that program every year.

How about Sam O'Reilly? Similar production to Easton Cowan draft eligible year and looks projected as a 2nd round pick. Maybe an under the radar pick like Cowan was.
Been watching some of the London games during the memorial cup run and he looks like a high energy guy. With a bigger role on London next year he could have that huge jump in production like Cowan did but if we really like him I can definitely see us trading back to pick him up and another pick or 2.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's fine to draft a forward nut at some time you are going to have to use your forward depth to trade for young dman that are a year or two away.
Webber traded for a 5th that was a good trade hopefully he is 2 yrs away.
We need to start looking after d prospects.

I think it’s not so much BPA or positional needs for us as much as it is a question of which player will be most valuable 12-24 months from now in a trade for a prime aged piece that fills a hole for us. Liljegren arguably fills a more important hole for us than Cowan next year but Cowan was drafted with #28 and is probably worth somewhere around 10th to 15th overall this year if we included him in a deal, Liljegren would maybe be valued at a 2nd in the same deal.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Sandin was younger and looked like he had upside still. Like the Leafs wouldn't pay him or use him enough. Lily fell off a cliff, so no, he won't get you a first until TD.

horner

May 22, 2007
Sandin was younger and looked like he had upside still. Like the Leafs wouldn't pay him or use him enough. Lily fell off a cliff, so no, he won't get you a first until TD.
I would say a mid 2nd rd pk, alor of od bottom teams need dman
Chicago
SJ
Utah
Anaheim
Pit
Phil

horner

May 22, 2007
Can't believe Chicago traded there 1st rd pk to move to spots before the draft bizar
Chic
18 and 50
Isl
20 54 61

We need to trade with Chicago

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Can't believe Chicago traded there 1st rd pk to move to spots before the draft bizar
Chic
18 and 50
Isl
20 54 61

We need to trade with Chicago

I don't understand this trade.

Unless they had Intel that the team ahead of them was gonna take their guy it makes no sense. Chicago is the rebuilding team. They are the ones that should be hoarding picks.

The Islanders should be too but they keep fooling themselves they can still compete.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Unless they had Intel that the team ahead of them was gonna take their guy it makes no sense. Chicago is the rebuilding team. They are the ones that should be hoarding picks.

The Islanders should be too but they keep fooling themselves they can still compete.
It's not over. They are after someone obviously. They may even jump up again. Maybe it's the next Joe Sakic?

Reactions: horner

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Never say never, there is a GM in Pittsburgh that just might be dumb enough to sacrifice another 1st

Reactions: horner

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm starting to lean towards Stian Solberg at pick 23, if he's still there. Still hoping we can get a 2nd. Would love to leave the draft with any two of the following:

Solberg
Boisvert
Hage
Brunicke
Luchanko
Elick
Stiga
Beaudoin
Surin
Eriksson
Zether
Pulkkinen
Skahan
Roberts

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

They might be trying to get in that range where Jiricek is gonna go. Hage could also be a target and he already plays in Chicago so they've probably scouted him a lot. Walking out of that 1st round with Demidov and Hage/Jiricek would be a great start to a draft imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad