2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I wonder if Montreal would think about drafting this kid at #5 or that might just be too early.

Either way, he's got some of the best hands I've seen.

I was just listening to a podcast and they were raving about him. Amazing play.

I agree with some of the names that have been thrown around here - we need d-men. But, if we get another pick in the late 1st/early 2nd (Lily trade?), maybe we consider two more names that some scouts really raved about on the podcast:

Marek Vanacker (LW)
Cole Beaudoin (C)

Vanacker was described as a fearless, fast, character guy who is a great competitor. 36 goals in the O too.

Beaudoin is another 200 foot, character, hard-working player. Big, great hockey sense and physical to boot.

Reactions: aingefan and weems

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How do we feel about Alfons Freij?

He could be an option for us.

I feel like we're at the spot where we can get a little lucky with 1-2 guys dropping to us.

If we traded back I'd be interested

Love a guy who can skate, his 4-way mobility is bloody good and he looks like he can be more than just an offensive defenseman

Reactions: uncleben

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Well e
We haven't drafted a D with our first pick since Sandin in 2019. He's gone and Lily I don't think is going to be here much longer. So yes we need a legit D prospect.
Eventually having no picks has a price. By about 2027 they will have some serious issues. No picks next year and no 2nd or 4th the next year. Outside Cowan the pool is weak. We have no choice but to do BPA and leave defense crippled. It's like this team was built by an amateur.I have suspected our GMs were intentionally destroying the team as every trade seemed suspect. It's hard to believe somebody that brain dead could be a GM. I would rate the average Leaf GM as slightly less IQ than a 13 year old fan.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if Montreal would think about drafting this kid at #5 or that might just be too early.

His skating is the one thing holding him back I think. Speed seems fine after a few strides, mostly his agility, strength and footwork needs refinement. Doing that stuff in Junior is one thing but as people get faster and stronger, you lose a lot of your space and time. He's obviously still very talented and he'll be picked in the first half of the first round I think, but I don't think he'll be in the top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Maybe I caught the wrong games, but neither Emery or Elick looked remotely skilled offensively. Emery seemed a little more explosive (could even just be the camera angles) but I don’t think there’s much separating the two. Both were making sort of reactionary and simple plays, which could be the product of coaching or teammate quality as well.

Defensively, the skating, size, and the competitiveness were great to see. At this point, think both are a level below the top tier guys in controlling the game, understanding the game and preventing plays, and playing with poise. But like you say, a little opportunity, growth in confidence and coordination/strength, these guys could be impact players. Tons of top 3 D are picked outside the top 15, could definitely happen with these two.

I think their floors are something similar to Benoit, which may sound bad but it’s valuable and playable in the playoffs. On the other hand, the floor for small offensive D who struggle on the defensive side (i.e Sandin) are unplayable. All that to say, I hope Stolberg is still available but wouldn’t mind Emery or Elick if our scouts see something they love. Might be able to trade back and still get one or both though
I looked around after I started to like Elick more to try and find comparables their draft years and Shea Weber came up somehow either from a comment I saw on a vid or somewhere and reading a scouting report on Weber his draft year it sounds kind of like Elick now. Fell so low because offensive game wasn't there. Weber had 2 goals and 16 assists in 70 games his draft year. Elick has 4 goals and 23 assists in 65 games and Weber was on a much better team his draft year. Both tall at 6'3 but only weighed like 190-200 and were told they needed to bulk up to play in the NHL. Look how good Weber became. Not saying Elick will be the next Weber but he's already a good skater and good defensive player who plays physical like Weber was. Brandon has some young players and could be a decent team and Elick will most likely be the #1 guy and possibly even get PP1. Could be a lock for Canada World JR team so he'll have plenty of opportunity to grow his offensive game if that's the case.

Again though, there's so many players I'd be ok with us drafting where we are that I won't say we should only draft Elick. He was just someone who at first I didn't think we should draft reading reports/comments on here about him but then he grew on me after I got to see him play a bit.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Hope Montreal drafts him as I think he has high bust potential. I went to a couple Oshawa games this year and wasn’t impressed. Impressive tools but he never seemed to be playing efficiently in the system. Kind of just doing his own thing and getting by with his skillset. Don’t see great hockey sense. Drafting him top 5 seems crazy to me with the talent available.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think we go a little off the board again and one guy I like is Spencer Gill. Up to 6'4" now and still growing RHD with decent offensive ability and is solid in his own zone.

Not as explosive as Yakemchuk on either end but could be a great pick in the late 1st/early 2nd.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think we go a little off the board again and one guy I like is Spencer Gill. Up to 6'4" now and still growing RHD with decent offensive ability and is solid in his own zone.

Not as explosive as Yakemchuk on either end but could be a great pick in the late 1st/early 2nd.
They will take the best player that drops and may even try and move up. That first rounder will be the last player to have any impact within their timeframe and Tre knows he may not be here after that anyway. The fact they interviewed a scoring LW is telling. Eiserman won't drop to 23.Yes, we are weak on D but is that Tres problem? Dmen take upto 4 years to develop. A forward who is cheap can help at 20. Just saying.... A Minten or Lily could get us a higher pick.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I still maintain I’ll be shocked if we pick in the 1st round.
Tre refused to trade it at the TDL for (Tanev and/or Zadorov) so I am guessing he will use it. Then again, if the player he wants in round 1 will be available in round 2, he could trade down.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dubas did trade backs, it cost Konency. We trade up for the next Cowan faller. Minten plus our 23rd will intrigue teams who need a guy next year. It will be a faller, there's always one. Lily goes for a high 2nd.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So trade back within the 1st. round?

40th. is from a team that is picking 8th..

Trading back in the first round probably gets you a 3rd. or 4th. rounder and they'd be later in that round unless the team has a pick from another team.

I doubt very much you get a 1st. and a 2nd. for a 23rd. overall.
I'd just pick at 23 but what did Burke give up when he moved up to take Biggs @ 22?

Answer: #30 and #39. If only the Leafs could pull that off and draft a good forward and goalie.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'd just pick at 23 but what did Burke give up when he moved up to take Biggs @ 22?

Answer: #30 and #39. If only the Leafs could pull that off and draft a good forward and goalie.
Burke gave up Seguin and Hamilton for a winger Boston didn't want. This pick has to count. We move up not down. Looks like Lily is gone

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad