2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 - Sphere Las Vegas

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd rather just sit at #23 and take our guy, I'm sure we're going to make some trades so try to make some picks up there rather than trading down

I think they kept the pick because the prospect pool is thin and we've traded away most of our picks recently, can't do that forever

What from the roster moves the pick up, without hurting the team over the next couple of seasons?

Perhaps the better question is whether there is a tier level that they could afford to move into, or perhaps the Tiers are like 1-5, 6-12, 13 - 24, 25 ...

So at their current position, they are in a tier that is too far away from the higher tier to be feasible.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What from the roster moves the pick up, without hurting the team over the next couple of seasons?

Perhaps the better question is whether there is a tier level that they could afford to move into, or perhaps the Tiers are like 1-5, 6-12, 13 - 24, 25 ...

So at their current position, they are in a tier that is too far away from the higher tier to be feasible.
This draft is pretty wide open. Like even 2-10 is very unknown and ask different people and theyll have different guys in their top 10. Theres probably about a 2-10 tier, 11-17ish and then youre in the 18-40/ish tier probably.

Reactions: ULF_55

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I could see Liljegren or Robertson getting moved for a pick, maybe somebody like Jarnkrok or Kampf would net you a pick to
(Cap moves and change of scenery types)

I could see a couple of picks thrown into a Marner deal to, no guarantee but player plus pick or prospect plus pick isn't an unusual return

I wouldn't trade up our first, I think somebody good will get to us (Solberg, Surin are my likes right now) but I'd love to get into that mid 2nd round, there's going to be some good players there still imo, hell even a 3rd

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Love this highlight clip of BIG D Stian Solberg smashing guys all over the ice...Mark Masters: Hard-hitting Stian Solberg poised to make history for Norway at NHL draft | TSN

The Butterfly Effect. Would would have imagined that this began his journey to becoming a Leaf? :laugh:
Now I am starting to worry this kid will be gone at 23. I like a guy that finishes his checks hard but has quick feet.

TSN: How did you become a defenceman?

Solberg: It was at a tournament in Sweden when I was 14. This player peed in [the shower] and our coach said that you can't do that, so you can't play. 'Stian, you're playing D.' And I was like, 'okay.'

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
With Wes Clark’s track record there’s a good chance we draft someone ranked much lower than Letourneau at #23
Wes Clark and his team will have their own rankings for sure. It is irrelevant whether it matches anything public. They will select what they believe is the BPA. Positioning or otherwise.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
At this point idk how we don't get a pretty good player where we're at. A lot of players ranked late 1st/early 2d are now being talked about going in the teens so players are gonna fall. BPA isn't even really the option where we're at because lucky for us a lot of the players who are BPA near us are C and D imo.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Yegor Surin, C, Yaroslavl-MHL
Surin is a very likeable player who was a leader for a top team in Russia’s junior league and third in their playoff scoring. Surin is a super competitive and physical forward who is a good skater and has enough offensive skills and playmaking to potentially be a solid scorer at the pro level. I think the way he plays translates up levels very well. I don’t think he’s going to be a super high-end offensive type, but like a Phillip Danault or Ivan Barbashev, I think he will endear himself to coaches and become a big-minute player in the NHL. I see a lot of lists with him outside the first round and I don’t think that’s what will happen on draft day.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
what does that mean?

Exactly, who cares what the player is ranked centrally or on Craig buttons list. All the matters is that player was the top player on the leafs list at the time of the pick.

Where our pick is located there will be teams who have players who are ranked centrally in the 30’s/40’s at the top of their internal team lists. So I’m not sure what the poster is saying either.

Reactions: shortfuze

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
My concern is that the Leafs will take a guy they shouldnt because they dont have a 2nd round pick. It isnt that long ago that 23rd was the same as a 2nd rounder. This seems to be a decent draft for us with a lot of C and Dmen. We need both.

So you think rather than drafting a player they have ranked at 23, they'll draft a player they have ranked 55?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
My concern is that the Leafs will take a guy they shouldnt because they dont have a 2nd round pick. It isnt that long ago that 23rd was the same as a 2nd rounder. This seems to be a decent draft for us with a lot of C and Dmen. We need both.
This is some serious high-level thinking. Mensa type stuff.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Let's say there is a guy ranked 2Nd round. You jump because you have no 2nd rounder.

There are times a guy could be 32nd and you use the 23rd because he will be gone.
But wouldn't the team take the player where they rank him internally?

Buttton might rank him 32nd., but the team's ranking would be 23rd.

Like Cowan.

They aren't going to miss out on own ranked better players.

Edit: Burke might, he even said as much on his North American only draft.

Reactions: francis246

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This is some serious high-level thinking. Mensa type stuff.
Yes we'll they need it.
But wouldn't the team take the player where they rank him internally?

Buttton might rank him 32nd., but the team's ranking would be 23rd.

Like Cowan.

They aren't going to miss out on own ranked better players.

Edit: Burke might, he even said as much on his North American only draft.
When I look at this draft it's full of C and Dmen 40 to 50 deep. We need both and we can forget next year's draft, 3rd rounders rarely play. I hope we land a 2nd rounder and grab a faller.

Reactions: horner

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
From a quick look at the stats he actually demolished his teammates in playoff production. Put up 23p and the next best had 14p. 108pim in the regular season, more than double any of his teammates as well.

Damn 108pims, most of the write ups I see say he's a bit "temperamental"

I want the kid even more now

Reactions: TMLife17

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So because the Leafs don't have a 2nd round pick, they would select a lower ranked player on their list over a higher ranked one 🤔

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad