2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't know that Robbie is going to be a fit for the Berube system. He gets pushed off the puck much too easily, he's got heart but it just doesn't seem to translate to winning puck battles.

He'd score 25 if he went to a team with lesser talent up front, more PP time, and more patience to let him learn on the job. Chicago/Seattle would be ideal spots
Utah.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
How is his skating and puck skills?

I know he had a very solid world championships according to many fans.

Solberg's a tricky one as a player who has, to this point in his career, played exclusively in Norway at both a junior and then pro level that seldom produce talent. But he has also played the better part of the last four (!) seasons against men. Now, after an excellent playoffs for Valerenga and an even better showing playing first-pairing minutes against NHLers for Norway’s national team at men’s worlds, he’s getting first-round ratings. I’ve also moved him up from a second-round rating on my midseason list all the way into the 20s here, making him the biggest riser on my board in the second half of the season. He has also now signed with Farjestad in the SHL, which will be positive for his development. And even still, the more I watched of Norway’s pro level this year, the more I found it to be of a little higher quality than I thought, which does help with comfort level about his projection. Then there's his game, which has some real identity.

One of the most competitive players in the draft, Solberg plays really hard and firm on both sides of the puck, with a mean, strong, physical presence that has seen him make life hard on opposing players whenever he has played against his peers internationally and even against men. He's really physical in man-to-man coverage, sometimes even too much so. It's tough to take him one-on-one and then he can skate the other way, though he can also be a little too eager on that front. His reads and decision-making need some tightening as he can be sloppy/turnover-prone, but his game grew more mature as the season went on, leaving me less concerned about his brain. Players with his makeup — a hard-nosed, highly engaged defenseman with good size/athletic tools who’ve shown enough offense — are always going to be coveted. His style should really work on North American ice/in the North American game when he eventually comes over, too. He has moved his proejction from a third-pairing one to a potential top-four one.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
for those who have been following the draft prospects closely, how would you rank Elick, Brunicke, and Emery?

Seems like a great year to add a big, mobile RHD to the pipeline.

Jiricek is another option if he happens to fall to us.
Also Badinka, atleast 2 or 3 of those guys will be available at our pick, I trust our scouts to be able to determine who the best ones are.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've been rewatching Windsor games this week, and my goodness does Greentree have soft hands, and not just for a big man, for any sized forward. If he can add power in his stride he could be an impact top 6 forward in the league. My money is still on Luchanko out of the OHL guys though, he does everything at an average level or better. Whichever team gets him is getting a future 2C, IMO.

Luchanko was the Canadian kid in the U18's who was playing every second shift against the Yanks in the final isn't he?

Good skater with hands and skill, that kid really impressed me

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Luchanko was the Canadian kid in the U18's who was playing every second shift against the Yanks in the final isn't he?

Good skater with hands and skill, that kid really impressed me

I don't know if he's there for us if but if he is, I would be happy to add him, I prefer Emery but you win on C/D/G generally.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I hope we can acquire a second rounder! I want Beaudoin and Elick. If we can have Solberg drop to us that would be amazing.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I hope we can acquire a second rounder! I want Beaudoin and Elick. If we can have Solberg drop to us that would be amazing.
if Elick is as good a skater and defender as advertised, I'd just take him with our pick.
Basically he sounds like what we expected when we picked Schenn, except Elick has elite skating, while Schenn was below average.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
if Elick is as good a skater and defender as advertised, I'd just take him with our pick.
Basically he sounds like what we expected when we picked Schenn, except Elick has elite skating, while Schenn was below average.

Someone that I trust on scouting opinions described Emery as a right shot Dan Hamhuis / K'Andre Miller type which...to me is like....sold!

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Someone that I trust on scouting opinions described Emery as a right shot Dan Hamhuis / K'Andre Miller type which...to me is like....sold!

@mydnyte yes I’m sold on Elick. I think he’s exactly what we need in our system. But watching Beaudoin at the Under 18’s, he impressed me. We also need Center depth. I think if we can get an early second we can end up with both. Looks like Elick is going to drop to the second round

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Emery is like those guys, except without the Offensive Upside, or much offensive upside at all.

Elick doesn't really have much more offensive upside, but he's a little better.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Emery is like those guys, except without the Offensive Upside, or much offensive upside at all.

I think Hamhuis cracked 30 points twice so that tracks.

Miller has already outproduced Hamhuis but I would say isn't as elite defensively.

I know a lot of guys dumped on the idea of picking Carlo because of lack of offensive upside but that player would fit like a glove right now. You pretty much always need RD, if Elick or Emery project as top 4 type guys, you gotta do it.

Reactions: supermann_98

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

The difference with Elick is his mean streak and physicality. He also has a pretty good slapshot from the point albeit no puck skills. EJ is rawer so there may be some more untapped offensive upside than Elick. He may also end up bigger physically. Overall they have similar toolboxes, whichever guy the scouts tell me has the better IQ or processor is my pick between the two.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think Hamhuis cracked 30 points twice so that tracks.

Miller has already outproduced Hamhuis but I would say isn't as elite defensively.

I know a lot of guys dumped on the idea of picking Carlo because of lack of offensive upside but that player would fit like a glove right now. You pretty much always need RD, if Elick or Emery project as top 4 type guys, you gotta do it.
These are guys... who if they are lucky, might crack into the teens a couple of years in their career in points. But typically, more like single digit points producers. Really good defensively, and physical.. but it's often said you need to reach a bit higher in the first round. I'm good with Elick personally in the late first. Emery, I like too... and I'd love to grab an early second, and grab him too. Find me a second, second rounder for Solberg, even better... Make my trade with Utah, grab Dickinson, and now I'm in heaven.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
These are guys... who if they are lucky, might crack into the teens a couple of years in their career in points. But typically, more like single digit points producers. Really good defensively, and physical.. but it's often said you need to reach a bit higher in the first round. I'm good with Elick personally in the late first. Emery, I like too... and I'd love to grab an early second, and grab him too. Find me a second, second rounder for Solberg, even better... Make my trade with Utah, grab Dickinson, and now I'm in heaven.

I think Solberg is going to be moving up into the teens.

Reactions: horner and uncleben

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021

I didn't find Hamhuis all that similar to Miller. Hamhuis depended on his ability to process the game quickly whereas Miller seems more reliant on athletic ability.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

23. Toronto Maple Leafs: Sacha Boisvert, C, Muskegon (USHL)
Boisvert is well-liked in the league due to his well-rounded play. He’s a center with size who has good pace in his game and legit offensive touch too even though he’s not dynamic. He’d become a potential middle-six center for the Leafs.

Solberg, Luchanko, and Beaudouin are gone I'm this scenario. Elick and Emery still on the board. I do like Surin quite a bit and Stiga (who reminds me of Cowan) as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

Solberg, Luchanko, and Beaudouin are gone I'm this scenario. Elick and Emery still on the board. I do like Surin quite a bit and Stiga (who reminds me of Cowan) as well.
He wouldn't be my pick there, but he is a great prospect. C with size and skill.

Sidenote on Boisvaert: He can fight, fought 6 times in the USHL, His dad is a boxer and owns a boxing gym and Boisvert has boxed and played hockey growing up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad