GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I like what we do with our 1st round picks. I think Stevie has done exceptionally well if not downright perfect when it comes to 1st rounders in Detroit.

You lose me on day 2 - but it's nice going into a draft day 1 and trusting your group.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Don’t think Eiserman will be there for us at 15.
Rumors are SJ moved up to get him.

He is close friends with Celebrini and they played 2 years together at Shattucks. He is going to BU, Mike Grier is a BU guy aswell. Apparently he wants them to play together again.

If Eiserman somehow goes top 10. That means one of the big 5 defenseman fell to them at 11. Which they would also be very pleased with, since they need defense. 11 was the perfect spot. They know they will get one or the other. If true, it makes sense they paid the premium.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I know they hype it this way every year, but I hope it really does happen:

ESPN's Emily Kaplan relays that four general managers have told her they're open to moving their first-round picks and adds "blockbuster trades involving NHL players could go down."

Martin Necas of the Carolina Hurricanes and Winnipeg Jets prospect Rutger McGroarty are among the names that have popped up in the rumour mill, but could something come out of left field?

"I'd be shocked if we got through Friday without something shocking," an unnamed general manager told Kaplan.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
1. I woke up this morning feeling that we are taking Yegor Surin at 18 OA. Oddly enough, I am totally on board with him at 15OA. I sense we are picking towards the beginning of a pretty big talent tier in the first round and that there isn't a ton separating a lot of guys.

2. Helenius or Yakemchuk are my personal "best possible outcomes."

3. I would also be happy with Luchinko, MBN, Greentree and Chernyshov

4. I am indifferent to Hage, Eiserman and Solberg

5. My other dark horse pick (apart from Surin) is Boisvert

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Another off the board possibility...?

Nikita Artamonov - he just basically posted a season in the KHL in his draft year comparable to what Buchelnikov did in his +3 season.

coached by Igor Larionov....

Ya never know?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is Helenius projected to stick at C at the next level?

Maybe? The way he thinks the game and with how good a skater Helenius is I think he could stick there. The kid is a terrific skater and puck transporter. I think there are some similarities between him and Danielson in that their games are mature for their age, but Helenius is a bit flashier. I'd be pretty thrilled with him even if Helenius became a winger.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Time for draft day tradition, watch Draft Day on draft day.

Vontae Mack, no matter what.

Sonny Weaver Jr is kinda like Stevie, GM who values grit and character over the poster boys.
1719602975807.png

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I like Sennecke if he’s there. I like Hage, but I’m heavily predisposed to favor kids from the Steel to U of M route. I think I’m probably more optimistic on Greentree than consensus, if only a little. I think Eiserman, when sizing up our roster and prospect pool, would be a nice hedge. Content with MBN. Like a few of the defensemen projected just above us so that could be interesting. My brother and his fiancée are Jewish and are big Red Wings fans, I’d personally feel much more comfortable swerving Connolly based on the information available to me as a fan.

Whatever happens LGRW!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For what it's worth, Solberg is much stronger than both Seider and Ed were in their draft years and for several years after, too. Seider had an edge to his game - Solberg is legitimately violent. I would much rather a high-skill forward, but I wouldn't hate the pick. He would be an ideal partner for ASP.

Being physically ready is always a negative for me.

I'd rather have guys who have succeeded without any physics and could build the physics on later years.

That's what happened to Lidström. That's what happened to Datsyuk. Our greatest picks of all time.

Players who have succeeded the junior career thanks to physics, will mostly fail vs. expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: Tatar Shots

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is Helenius projected to stick at C at the next level?

I see him only at Center. That skating transition game was just marvellous sometimes.

Also Tappara is the best place to develop (selke trophy) Center skills. Barkov will be training with him at summer.

I see no chance Helenius falling to #15, or other NHL organizatios are just arrogant idiots.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another off the board possibility...?

Nikita Artamonov - he just basically posted a season in the KHL in his draft year comparable to what Buchelnikov did in his +3 season.

coached by Igor Larionov....

Ya never know?

Interesting player. Currently 28th on my list.

Predict him to fall, so it could be a steal with a 2nd rounder.

Why falling?

A) early birthday
B) winger
C) russian

Attributes are definitely what Yzerman likes. Hardworking playmaking winger.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I think if you have to choose between Connelly and Hage, I'm going Hage all day long.

My wish list for today (any of these guys):
Catton
Helenius
Luchanko
Hage
Jiricek

What guys do you guys want us to draft today (besides the obvious ones lol)?
I'm on board with this. If Catton, Helenius, or (I know you didn't mention him, but) Sennecke fall, I would be all over it. I would be also fine with Luchanko or Hage if the scouts think they are going to progress into top 6 players.

I know we don't NEED defense, but I think Jiricek may actually be the best value we could get at 15. If not for his injury this year, he'd likely be a surefire top 10 pick. Even if we don't need him, it would give us lots of trade options in the future.

Almost every mock I've seen has us taking Nygard at 15. I'm not in love with the idea because a lot of analysts don't think he has the skill to be a top 6 guy. I'd be okay with it because he does look like a surefire NHLer and will add yet another guy who is a pain in the ass to play against. I just think we need an injection of skill and creativity, at some point. But, if it isn't available, you have take who you think is the BPA. If the Wing's scouts think he is it, then I'm okay with this route, too.

It will be an interesting night...

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Just thinking the Flames must be sweating it out for Iginla. It just seems he should naturally go there. However he seems to be a riser and might not be there.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’m starting to like Hage at our pick almost as much as Nygard and Solberg. I’ve written one of my big four off, Sennecke, as already gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad