2024 Draft Discussion

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Right, but in that range you everybody has deficiencies. And his skating is not Andrew Crystall levels of bad. Who'd you prefer?

I think Nygard will be available and possibly Eiserman or even Catton/Helenius. I think Greentree goes in the late teens.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At forward? Like who? This draft is paper thin at forward in the first.

What is your realistic expectation for who Detroit picks at 15 this year? You seem pretty reasonable so I don't think you're foolish enough to expect an 70+ point guy. This just isn't the draft for forwards. A 2-way, 50 point guy is solid for #15 in any draft year and that's about what I expect Detroit to grab, and what I think we safely get out of MBN.
I’m not opposed to taking a defenseman with the top pick if they are clearly better than the forward options, which I think is a very very real possibility for us at pick #15. I’m still super intrigued by Jiricek, for example.

I tried to come up with a list just now and I’d probably have MBN like 17-22 or so. So wouldn’t be too bad of a reach at #15. Like I said I just like other options better.

He’s kind of like the Bo Nix equivalent of prospect to me for this draft.

Greentree isn't a good skater and underwhelmed at the U18's. I'm very skeptical.
I also cooled on him since the U18’s. He was basically the 13th forward. I wonder if something is gonna come out saying he was sick or injured??? Just guessing.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Classic sniper, hot and cold streaks are always involved. But Cat is 3rd highest scoring player in his draft class, only behind Matthews and Tkachuk. It's highly unlikely that in any scenario Wings would get a similar player from this draft.

And that particular player won't be able to help Detroit in years, where Cat can and considering where Raymond is heading, Cat's numbers should increase.

With that pick it's more realistic to find another Veleno, in that scenario would you rather have Cat or another Veleno? And that scenario is way more realistic than Reinhart to Wings scenario, UFA Reinhart would cost what, 11-12 mill a year? After that eventually Wings would have to find cap room to re-sign Edvinsson, ASP, Kasper, Danielson, Cossa, Augustine. In addition to Larkin, Ray and Seider.

Dissapeared for 20 games when he was needed the most , small forward who will no doubt vanish as well in the post season

Again , my scenario would have reinhart whose a bigger player whose style of game we lack and can also score.

If yzerman was convinced he'd have been signed longer. Not convinced he'll play 8 games with raymond. Expect to see him on the 2nd line on a chunk of games

Veleno Was drafted 30th I believe, was hoping for a 16-20 slot. Veleno also fell during his draft class and I guess we now know why. Berggren was my pick which we got anyways

Whoever said I was dealing debrincat for pick 30 and that's it? My scenario was to get a high enough pick to get a connelly parascak nygaard etc... AND have reinhart as a wing.

I know yzerman wont deal debrincat for a 1st. If he knew 100% he was getting a player with a big cap hit moving debrincat's salary makes most sense. And I doubt reinhart gets 11+ if he does good on him and that teams stupid but I think he takes less and stays in florida,it's a no brainer

I know people like walman but hes the guy I'd move in a package for that 1st and replace him with gost for 2 yrs with edvinsson chiarot johanson on the left side and sign roy as well. Half the d core would be gone if I had my way

Lmao I was bored so had a look at 2020s Draft Live threads here. Oh the meltdowns :D
I was pushing for raymond for months... guessing you saw the cole perfetti fan club members

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
At forward? Like who? This draft is paper thin at forward in the first.

What is your realistic expectation for who Detroit picks at 15 this year? You seem pretty reasonable so I don't think you're foolish enough to expect an 70+ point guy. This just isn't the draft for forwards. A 2-way, 50 point guy is solid for #15 in any draft year and that's about what I expect Detroit to grab, and what I think we safely get out of MBN.
Team with Seider, Edvinsson, Danielson, MBN will be hard to play against. He is another mid 6 player, but what if that is Yzerman plan ?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Perfetti fan club in 2020
Eklund/Wallstedt in 2021 ( @OgeeOgelthorpe rare upset I noticed haha)
Savoie in 2022
Dvorsky/Moore/Benson in 2023

lol I was pushing hard for wallstedt as well as we needed a goalie in the pipeline but I guess it's a win since we picked a goalie and hes not sucking Lol

I wanted kasper for months as well so not upset Haha and last year I wanted wood and musty and kept bitching to move up for another pick for musty who fell at 26(hes looking good)

You win some you lose some

I remember "hat trick" dick axelson thinking hakan found another gem lmfao we know how that turned out . It's funny and sad to look back sometimes lol

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
2014 Larkin
2015 Zach Senyshin , have no idea who is that.
2016 Luke Kunin, have no idea
2017 Erik Brannstrom , kinda meh
2018 Denisenko meh
2019 Cole Coufield , finally good one
2020 Amirov past away
All this guys were drafted #15. Very good chance we got nobody in this draft

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
2014 Larkin
2018 Denisenko meh
2020 Amirov past away
Ya I dont pay attention to that stuff , therea always guys that come out 15 to 30 range we just have to do our job at the draft

I did a mock to try and guess who might be there at 15 ... I know it's never as you plan

Connelly parascak hage jiricek greentree were left ... first 2 are my picks but we get one of those I'm not upset at all

Had catton at 14, maybe he slips to 15 cause of his size? Someone repeats the caufield mistake and eiserman is there? Anyways I think we can get someone good at 15 .

Wouldnt be opposed to moving up and grabbing a sennecke or someone that they value as top 5 pick who's there at 11 for example. We'll see what happens

Reactions: Holden Caufield

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
2014 Larkin
2018 Denisenko meh
2020 Amirov past away
This is why I wouldn't mind seeing SY packaging this pick along with whatever else was needed and attempt to pry away a 'quality' roster player from a rival (is Calgary a team worthy of poaching?).

How deep is this draft, how long will it be before we see this #15 pick make an impact in the NHL (if ever), and finally - is Larkin going to be playing in the NHL when Detroit has a legit chance to win the Cup?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ya I dont pay attention to that stuff , therea always guys that come out 15 to 30 range we just have to do our job at the draft

I did a mock to try and guess who might be there at 15 ... I know it's never as you plan

Connelly parascak hage jiricek greentree were left ... first 2 are my picks but we get one of those I'm not upset at all

Had catton at 14, maybe he slips to 15 cause of his size? Someone repeats the caufield mistake and eiserman is there? Anyways I think we can get someone good at 15 .

Wouldnt be opposed to moving up and grabbing a sennecke or someone that they value as top 5 pick who's there at 11 for example. We'll see what happens
They all looking good until they not good at all, especially in this weak draft. You can get MND and you know he will make it , at 15 better aim at higher floor

Reactions: FMichael

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This is why I wouldn't mind seeing SY packaging this pick along with whatever else was needed and attempt to pry away a 'quality' roster player from a rival (is Calgary a team worthy of poaching?).

How deep is this draft, how long will it be before we see this #15 pick make an impact in the NHL (if ever), and finally - is Larkin going to be playing in the NHL when Detroit has a legit chance to win the Cup?
If we are not sure about our #15 better trade for player or trade down

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
If we are not sure about our #15 better trade for player or trade down
Agreed...I'm sure there's a few teams out there that would likely part ways with a roster player and take our #15 and a 2nd rounder (or a GR prospect that may/may not be in our future).

In another thread/post - I brought up that DBoss will be 28 when the puck drops in October...So if he is our 'best player' - how exactly are we building around him and what is the timeline? At this rate he may be near retirement before anything happens.

I'd be more than happy trading #15 + Berggren with some sort of addition like a 2025 2nd/Wallinder/Soderblom to get either a legit top 6 Fwd or top 4 RHD
yess!

EDIT - I mentioned Calgary; Mangiapane, Markstrom, Andersen (unlikely - unless sweetened offer) might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
They all looking good until they not good at all, especially in this weak draft. You can get MND and you know he will make it , at 15 better aim at higher floor

Top 20 is good . Sure you can play it safe take nygaard and watch the guy you wanted explode somewhere else or you can say f*** it and take a chance . I'd rather the 2nd option

I'd much rather take a chance that my leaders in the locker room will help Connelly than take the safe pick. Time to knock it off with the safe s*it

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Agreed...I'm sure there's a few teams out there that would likely part ways with a roster player and take our #15 and a 2nd rounder (or a GR prospect that may/may not be in our future).

In another thread/post - I brought up that DBoss will be 28 when the puck drops in October...So if he is our 'best player' - how exactly are we building around him and what is the timeline? At this rate he may be near retirement before anything happens.

yess!
This team will only take a step up when the kids are on the roster and can help lead us to glory

Larkin will be the old man when that happens (32-33) . If hes still here ( no trade is gone last year or 2 I think )

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
FYI: Not sure if you base this on your life, but my wet dreams do not include males. Further, unless it is Katarina Witt ice nor skate are part of the equation.
1000008256.png

Where did this come from???

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Top 20 is good . Sure you can play it safe take nygaard and watch the guy you wanted explode somewhere else or you can say f*** it and take a chance . I'd rather the 2nd option

I'd much rather take a chance that my leaders in the locker room will help Connelly than take the safe pick. Time to knock it off with the safe s*it
"Time to knock it off with the safe s*it" - that might be now and it may not involve drafting, but trading for a player.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
"Time to knock it off with the safe s*it" - that might be now and it may not involve drafting, but trading for a player.

Yes cause this Team as it currently is with its d core,goaltending etc... is built to make any noise

We Have alot of work to do and the likes of danielson kasper edvinsson pelikka have yet to even play a season. Were not even close to pulling the trigger on the big move

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This team will only take a step up when the kids are on the roster and can help lead us to glory

Larkin will be the old man when that happens (32-33) . If hes still here ( no trade is gone last year or 2 I think )
Kids on the roster to me is if/when and at what level of play?

Seeing Zadina fail, and Veleno not doing much better is worrisome.

Yes cause this Team as it currently is with its d core,goaltending etc... is built to make any noise

We Have alot of work to do and the likes of danielson kasper edvinsson pelikka have yet to even play a season. Were not even close to pulling the trigger on the big move
I'm not talking about a 'big move' - I'm talking about a 2nd line forward, or a 2nd pairing Dman...Something a rival GM may be willing to part with.

Reactions: jkutswings

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Kids on the roster to me is if/when and at what level of play?

Seeing Zadina fail, and Veleno not doing much better is worrisome.

I'm not talking about a 'big move' - I'm talking about a 2nd line forward, or a 2nd pairing Dman...Something a rival GM may be willing to part with.

Well imagine this team without seider and raymond?? What we need is the likes of danielson kasper edvinsson to take a big step . Faster they get in the lineup quicker it gets here ... raymond and seider need to go even higher

Need a berggen to come and surprise everyone and take off , or a mazur etc.. we havent hit squat with the later rounds

We can make a trade for a zegras or someone else for the top 6 and our dcore and goaltending will still need a ton of work.

Maybe were the capitals next season and make it and get out in 4-5 games but that's not the goal. If we want to add to the top 6 here's a crazy thought play one of our top 10 picks there and set them up with a chance to succeed

Kasper larkin raymond
Debrincat danielson compher

Wont happen but I wouldnt hate it

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
the funny thing is we all know that if he did end up taking him you'd be spamming in every related thread both here and on the main boards that it was a genius move like you do for literally everything Yzerman does

Yeah a few shiney YouTube highlight videos don't excite me. Yzerman is going to select a guy with strong work ethics and strong two-way play. Eiserman ain't that.

Sounds like you are ready smear-spam if Yzerman doesn't select your one-dimensional boi.

You know Eiserman isn't a Yzerman 1st pick type player. I'll promise not to spam if you promise not to cry.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Well imagine this team without seider and raymond?? What we need is the likes of danielson kasper edvinsson to take a big step . Faster they get in the lineup quicker it gets here ... raymond and seider need to go even higher

Need a berggen to come and surprise everyone and take off , or a mazur etc.. we havent hit squat with the later rounds

We can make a trade for a zegras or someone else for the top 6 and our dcore and goaltending will still need a ton of work.

Maybe were the capitals next season and make it and get out in 4-5 games but that's not the goal. If we want to add to the top 6 here's a crazy thought play one of our top 10 picks there and set them up with a chance to succeed

Kasper larkin raymond
Debrincat danielson compher

Wont happen but I wouldnt hate it
Berggren seems as though he'll get moved, or will be in GR while a member of this franchise - just doesn't seem to fit here for whatever the reason.

Not gonna hold my breath on the rest of the Red Wing prospects (outside of Ed) - just when you think we got sumthin - they don't turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad