Prospect Info: 2024 Draft Day One Winners/Losers + Best Available For Day Two

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Draft Day Winners & Losers/ Best Available for Draft Day Two

It was a fun 1st round, with lots of twists, turns and surprises. Our Devils did quite well in getting LD Anton Silayev, who is an extremely unique potential shut down D with a size/speed combination the NHL may never have seen to quite his level.

Though several teams did well, I feel there are a few standout winners and losers of the day.

WINNERS

1. San Jose: a future franchise C in Macklin Celebrini was only the beginning, as they also lucked out with LD Sam Dickinson falling to them at #11. Just an incredible haul for the Sharks.
  2. Montreal: a franchise-caliber wing in Ivan Demidov fell to them at #5 — he’s closer to Celebrini in talent than the rest of the 2024 draft class. But they weren’t done yet, as my #10 overall prospect Michael Hage fell to them at #21, giving them 2/3 of a potentially dominant future 1st line in a single draft.
  3. Utah: after breaking all the hearts in Calgary with a #6 overall grab of potential 40+ goal-scorer Tij Iginla, Utah again knocked it out of the park at #24 with C Cole Beaudoin who might have the best intangibles in the draft would be a top 10 pick if he skated better.
  4. Minnesota: the single steal of Day One was getting the best defenseman in the draft in Zeev Buium at #12 overall after a shrewd trade with Philadelphia to move up. Buium has elite potential on both sides of the puck and a hockey IQ so high it can rightly be considered rare.

LOSERS

1. Vegas: Trevor Connelly at #19 was a slap in the face of the hometown draft crowd — a low character kid both on and off the ice who was reputedly on several teams “No Draft” lists.
  2. Boston: Dean Letourneau’s singular elite skill is his height measurement. He certainly has the ability to develop into a strong bottom 6 center, but he’s miles away from the NHL and #25 overall is certainly a reach pick.
  3. Toronto: the body language of the Maple Leafs braintrust seemed to sink as their reported intended pick of RD EJ Emery went one pick earlier to the Rangers. Instead of pivoting to another position, they seemed to throw a dart at “best available Canadian RD” with Ben Danford when not only were there far better foreign RD options in Badinka or Pitner, but also far better Canadian options in Elick and Brunicke.

Best Available for Day Two:

There’s still a lot of talent left on the board. My ideal scenario would be for the Devils to trade up (John Marino as bait) into the 2nd round and select former Bergen Catholic standout C John Mustard. But some of these guys should also last deeper into the draft.

11 W Igor Chernyshov

21 LW Andrew Basha
24 LW Nikita Artamonov
26 LD Matvei Shuravin
27 RD Dominik Badinka
28 RW Ryder Ritchie

29 C/LW John Mustard
31 RD Charlie Elick
32 LW Teddy Stiga
34 LD Daniil Ustinkov
36 LD Will Skahan

37 C Linus Eriksson
38 LD Alfons Freij
39 LW Tanner Howe
40 LW Kevin He
41 LD Leon Muggli

42 LD Aron Kiviharju
46 LW Ondrej Kos
47 RD Tory Pitner
49 RD Harrison Brunicke
50 RW Justin Poirier

51 C Kamil Bednarik
52 RW Miguel Marques
53 RW Carson Wetsch
54 C/LW Kieron Walton
55 LW Eriks Mateiko

56 LD Veeti Vaisanen
57 RW Hiroki Gojsic
58 C Julius Miettinen
59 RD Henry Mews
60 LD Timur Kol

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

It was a fun 1st round, with lots of twists, turns and surprises. Our Devils did quite well in getting LD Anton Silayev, who is an extremely unique potential shut down D with a size/speed combination the NHL may never have seen to quite his level.

Though several teams did well, I feel there are a few standout winners and losers of the day.

WINNERS

1. San Jose: a future franchise C in Macklin Celebrini was only the beginning, as they also lucked out with LD Sam Dickinson falling to them at #11. Just an incredible haul for the Sharks.
  2. Montreal: a franchise-caliber wing in Ivan Demidov fell to them at #5 — he’s closer to Celebrini in talent than the rest of the 2024 draft class. But they weren’t done yet, as my #10 overall prospect Michael Hage fell to them at #21, giving them 2/3 of a potentially dominant future 1st line in a single draft.
  3. Utah: after breaking all the hearts in Calgary with a #6 overall grab of potential 40+ goal-scorer Tij Iginla, Utah again knocked it out of the park at #24 with C Cole Beaudoin who might have the best intangibles in the draft would be a top 10 pick if he skated better.
  4. Minnesota: the single steal of Day One was getting the best defenseman in the draft in Zeev Buium at #12 overall after a shrewd trade with Philadelphia to move up. Buium has elite potential on both sides of the puck and a hockey IQ so high it can rightly be considered rare.

LOSERS

1. Vegas: Trevor Connelly at #19 was a slap in the face of the hometown draft crowd — a low character kid both on and off the ice who was reputedly on several teams “No Draft” lists.
  2. Boston: Dean Letourneau’s singular elite skill is his height measurement. He certainly has the ability to develop into a strong bottom 6 center, but he’s miles away from the NHL and #25 overall is certainly a reach pick.
  3. Toronto: the body language of the Maple Leafs braintrust seemed to sink as their reported intended pick of RD EJ Emery went one pick earlier to the Rangers. Instead of pivoting to another position, they seemed to throw a dart at “best available Canadian RD” with Ben Danford when not only were there far better foreign RD options in Badinka or Pitner, but also far better Canadian options in Elick and Brunicke.

There’s still a lot of talent left on the board. My ideal scenario would be for the Devils to trade up (John Marino as bait) into the 2nd round and select former Bergen Catholic standout C John Mustard. But some of these guys should also last deeper into the draft.

21 LW Andrew Basha
24 LW Nikita Artamonov
26 LD Matvei Shuravin
27 RD Dominik Badinka
28 RW Ryder Ritchie

29 C/LW John Mustard
31 RD Charlie Elick
32 LW Teddy Stiga
34 LD Daniil Ustinkov
36 LD Will Skahan

37 C Linus Eriksson
38 LD Alfons Freij
39 LW Tanner Howe
40 LW Kevin He
41 LD Leon Muggli

42 LD Aron Kiviharju
46 LW Ondrej Kos
47 RD Tory Pitner
49 RD Harrison Brunicke
50 RW Justin Poirier

51 C Kamil Bednarik
52 RW Miguel Marques
53 RW Carson Wetsch
54 C/LW Kieron Walton
55 LW Eriks Mateiko

56 LD Veeti Vaisanen
57 RW Hiroki Gojsic
58 C Julius Miettinen
59 RD Henry Mews
60 LD Timur Kol

i love the line about Connelly if only for the no f***ing holds barred opinion.

nice.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i love the line about Connelly if only for the no f***ing holds barred opinion.

nice.
He is often reminiscent of DeAngelo in that his defenders try to excuse his off-ice buffoonery with his on-ice ability. Then, DeAngelo falls apart at crucial moments in the playoffs year after year after year and costs his team huge games and series.

We saw this with Connolly in the world tourney, when he singlehandedly cost Team USA the gold medal game vs. Canada with an attempt to assault and injure Ryder Ritchie. The ensuing 5 minute major turned a 4-2 lead into a 5-4 deficit and the rest is history.

This is the player you're picking in the top 20? With so much talent still on the board? It's inexcusable.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Vegas got A+++

There is no chance Connelly plays for the team. None of their first round picks play for the team.

He'll be more valuable in a trade where teams don't really care about the poor character.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

WINNERS

LOSERS

21 LW Andrew Basha
24 LW Nikita Artamonov
26 LD Matvei Shuravin
27 RD Dominik Badinka
28 RW Ryder Ritchie

29 C/LW John Mustard
31 RD Charlie Elick
32 LW Teddy Stiga
34 LD Daniil Ustinkov
36 LD Will Skahan

37 C Linus Eriksson
38 LD Alfons Freij
39 LW Tanner Howe
40 LW Kevin He
41 LD Leon Muggli

42 LD Aron Kiviharju
46 LW Ondrej Kos
47 RD Tory Pitner
49 RD Harrison Brunicke
50 RW Justin Poirier

51 C Kamil Bednarik
52 RW Miguel Marques
53 RW Carson Wetsch
54 C/LW Kieron Walton
55 LW Eriks Mateiko

56 LD Veeti Vaisanen
57 RW Hiroki Gojsic
58 C Julius Miettinen
59 RD Henry Mews
60 LD Timur Kol
did you forget that Chernyshov didn't get picked?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves No honorable mention as losers for ANA reaching for Sennecke?
Clearly I thought it was a very poor pick. But Anaheim also got a huge steal with Solberg in the early 20s. So, overall it wasn't a bad day, but we can say if they had taken Demidov at #3 it would be neck and neck with Anaheim or San Jose for the best Day One draft class.

did you forget that Chernyshov didn't get picked?
Yes -- maybe it's disbelief he didn't get picked. I'm editing now, thanks.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Clearly I thought it was a very poor pick. But Anaheim also got a huge steal with Solberg in the early 20s. So, overall it wasn't a bad day, but we can say if they had taken Demidov at #3 it would be neck and neck with Anaheim or San Jose for the best Day One draft class.

Yes -- maybe it's disbelief he didn't get picked. I'm editing now, thanks.
so Sharks potentially could have Celebrini, Dickinson and Chernyshov. That might be able to beat the Dallas Stars 2017 draft.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
so Sharks potentially could have Celebrini, Dickinson and Chernyshov. That might be able to beat the Dallas Stars 2017 draft.
San Jose's top 5 prospects right now are disgusting

1 C Celebrini
2 C W. Smith
3 LD Dickinson
4 LW Musty
5 C Bystedt

I think Chernyshov, if they picked him, would slip between Dickinson and Musty into that #4 slot. But I see San Jose going for a much-needed RD -- the best pick for them early in the 2nd round would be Badinka.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
San Jose's top 5 prospects right now are disgusting

1 C Celebrini
2 C W. Smith
3 LD Dickinson
4 LW Musty
5 C Bystedt

I think Chernyshov, if they picked him, would slip between Dickinson and Musty into that #4 slot. But I see San Jose going for a much-needed RD -- the best pick for them early in the 2nd round would be Badinka.
I hope they pick Chernyshov. Don't want the Canes to have him and the Ducks bungled hard and don't deserve him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have to say, having done this for a very long time? Both Dickinson and Chernyshov have a ton of qualities which project thoroughly into very good NHL careers. I'm extremely high on both.
Hopefully they don’t test you at work but would a test even show a positive for Dickinson or Chernyshov?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
San Jose and Montreal slayed the first round. Celebrini was a given and they were gifted Dickinson at 11OA.

The team I’m most impressed with though is Montreal. They didn’t fall into the “Russian factor” trap the way Anaheim and Columbus did. It was a steal drafting Hage where they got him. Montreal has drafted extremely well the last few years.

EDIT- San Jose lands Chernyshov with 1st pick in round 2. Amazing draft for those guys.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad