Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (2/53): Leo Sahlin Wallenius (D) | Vaxjo Jr (SweJr)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This pick was acquired from Detroit in the Jake Walman trade. It had previously changed hands twice also involving Nashville and Tampa Bay

OutletRank
NHL Central Scouting#7 European Skater
TSN Bob McKenzie#42
TSN Craig Button#29
EliteProspects#69
Sportsnet Cosentino#29
Sportsnet Bukala#31
Future Considerations#40
THN Ryan Kennedy#39
THN Tony FerrariN/R
Tankathon#36
FloHockey#34
Daily Faceoff#39
Dobber Hockey#67
The Hockey Writers#49

EliteProspects
Player Type Keywords: Puck-Moving Defenseman, Speedster, Two-Way Defenseman

Leo Sahlin Wallenius is a sound puck distributor and in-zone defender. His defensive skating allows him to match speed in space with ease, contain opponents, and get stops along the wall. Constant scanning allows him to disrupt potential scoring plays as they develop. With the puck, Sahlin Wallenius can easily avoid forechecking pressure and generate exits and entries at pace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hockey Writers

I haven’t been blown away by Leo Sahlin Wallenius’ skating like some others. That’s not to say it wasn’t good, but it didn’t set him apart from others on the ice like his teammate Freij. I like his creativity in his passes, but like many other offensive-minded defencemen, he lacks commitment in the defensive zone and is usually looking to see where he can pick up the puck. I don’t think it was as bad as some others ahead of him and there were times he showed good anticipation and positioning as well as physicality, but his limited offensive ceiling makes him a second-round pick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Athletic

Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Erik Brannstrom

Analysis: Sahlin Wallenius isn’t the biggest defenseman but he’s a very solid two-way player who was the leading player on Sweden’s U18 team this season. He’s one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a powerful and efficient stride that allows him to easily evade pressure and skate pucks up ice. He closes on checks well and is great coming back on pucks in a way that should translate to pro hockey. Sahlin Wallenius has good hands and vision and can shoot the puck well, too, even though he doesn’t project as a major scorer at the higher levels. The sum of his parts looks like a regular NHL defenseman.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5598387/2024/06/28/sharks-rangers-nhl-draft-picks-grades-2024/ (****PAYWALL****)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
FloHockey

A high-end skater with a good all-around game, Sahlin Wallenius doesn’t have any one thing that really excites you about his game. He’s steady at both ends of the ice, but lacks a dynamic skill element which limits his upside. He did produce at a high level in various competitions including the Swedish U20 ranks and logged massive minutes internationally. He was reliable in any situation you put him in, which is a credit to his overall hockey sense, which I do believe is one of his better traits. There’s an outside chance at some top-four upside, but I feel like it will be challenging for him as an average-sized defender to carve out a defined role up the lineup. He's just such a steady and predictable-in-a-good-way player, it's hard not to think he'll find his spot and thrive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sportsnet.ca (Jason Bukala)

Wallenius is another in a long line of Swedish defencemen who are outstanding skaters, transition players, and power play quarterbacks. He leans distributor more than shooter in the offensive zone. Wallenius is smart enough to be used in all situations. He’s the kind of defender who can eat heavy minutes with his approach to the game.

NHL Projection: Second pairing. Deployed in all situations

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know very little about him other than I want to call him Walrenius for some reason, but reading more about him… is he… very good? He seems very good. Great skater, good offense.. needs to gain muscle but has top 4 upside. I like.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I know very little about him other than I want to call him Walrenius for some reason, but reading more about him… is he… very good? He seems very good. Great skater, good offense.. needs to gain muscle but has top 4 upside. I like.

one nice thing for this draft is that it seems like pretty much everyone they picked is a good skater. If you're gonna have one skill be the foundational thing for your entire prospect pool, skating's a solid choice.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He seems very solid all-around. Also, I want to call him "Sahlund." We need some Lunds on defense, right? Or Wallundius, maybe? Honorary Lund.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00