Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (2/33): Igor Chernyshov (LW) | Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sorry probably should have elaborated rather than just posting a one-liner lol.

From the Sharks’ perspective, the Cuda are a pro team where they assign prospects to develop. If they think he’s ready for that league they should assign him there.

If he’s overwhelmed, wouldn’t the ECHL also be an option.
Yes ECHL is technically an option but not a good one.
In hindsight Eklund probably should have played on the Cuda in his D+1 season. But at least he had a guaranteed top line role waiting for him on Djurgarden. Chernyshov would be hard pressed to get more than 4th line minutes in the KHL this year.
I’m a bit confused by your overall point. Are you mostly just saying AHL would be a better development league than KHL for Chernyshov right now?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I’m a bit confused by your overall point. Are you mostly just saying AHL would be a better development league than KHL for Chernyshov right now?
I think so, at least considering how KHL teams typically handle prospects in Chernyshov's position.

AHL should certainly benefit Chernyshov more than playing in the MHL for a 4th season.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In hindsight Eklund probably should have played on the Cuda in his D+1 season. But at least he had a guaranteed top line role waiting for him on Djurgarden. Chernyshov would be hard pressed to get more than 4th line minutes in the KHL this year.
I disagree, I think Chernyshov would have comfortably been given top-9 KHL minutes this year. Like Danila Yurov.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
In my brain, I see that he's signing an ELC, and assume he's going to the AHL. If that's the case, I'm thrilled! Like hellz yeahhhh thrilled!

If he's going to play Canadian juniors, I'd much rather him stay in the KHL. I guess we'll see when this all shakes out.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I didn’t actively realize he’s a dangler. A power forward dangler is like everything I love and everything Grier loves in one Russian.
thats why he compares so well to Sennecke and why I don't understand Sennecke getting picked so high. He can do basically the same thing that he does but has the power forward mentality of pushing opponents out of the way and battling along the boards with high compete.

Perhaps in four years Sennecke will be better when he fills out and becomes less raw. but right now Chernyshov > Sennecke

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He's played against men already, why would we want to send him to juniors?

He's the exact kind of player you do gift the ahl spot to......
Have to assume the Sharks want him to play on the smaller rink and be able to watch him regularly and help him develop. Hard to do that with no Russian scout.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Saginaw would be a pretty decent landing spot if he did go CHL. I think they should at least try him out at the AHL level though.

Edit: One thing I will say is that Saginaw being the ones to choose him makes me feel like the CHL is a legit option if only because Zayne Parekh is another high profile Dan Milstein client.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
How does that not feel like gifting it to him? If he’s not drafted to the CHL, as far as I’m aware that means there’s no plan B.
He was drafted out of Europe. So he can be assigned /play in AHL (unlike player drafted FROM CHL).
Picked by Saginaw in the CHL import draft
Now he has a NA option for junior playing.

Could follow Haltunen's path through junior after being drafted. Gives player opportunity to learn to play on the smaller ice.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think so, at least considering how KHL teams typically handle prospects in Chernyshov's position.

AHL should certainly benefit Chernyshov more than playing in the MHL for a 4th season.

Chernyshov won't play another year in the MHL. If he stays home he'll be in the KHL, with some games in the VHL too I assume.

Have to assume the Sharks want him to play on the smaller rink and be able to watch him regularly and help him develop. Hard to do that with no Russian scout.

Dynamo already plays on N.A. sized ice.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Assigning our prospect to our AHL club doesn’t feel like “gifting” to me.
It is, but it's like when you get underwear for Christmas. You put on a forced smile, say thank you, then wonder if there's a gift receipt.

Yeah that’s just not true. Unless you mean that played in the AHL? Even then Eklund is a far better prospect than Chernyshov.
Smurfs don't count

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Apart from Celebrini and Smith, who will obviously never play in the AHL, we haven't had a forward prospect as good as Chernyshov in a long time.
I think it is on par with when Meier played for the Cuda. Coincidentally their last successful season.

Ah okay then.

Does he have to report to the CHL? I assume the answer is yes if he signs his ELC, right?
No he can play in the AHL if he chooses to.

Napreemer

Oct 5, 2016
I disagree, I think Chernyshov would have comfortably been given top-9 KHL minutes this year. Like Danila Yurov.
If he's determined to leave Dynamo after his contract is over, there's no point for the club to give him lots of playing time. They're a competitive team, they're not quite interested in growing up a talent that will jump off next spring.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If he's determined to leave Dynamo after his contract is over, there's no point for the club to give him lots of playing time. They're a competitive team, they're not quite interested in growing up a talent that will jump off next spring.
If Dynamo is gonna stunt his development because he intends to play in NA at some point, then I fully endorse Chernyshov coming to NA now. Kind of a bummer since I think the KHL is the best place for him right now, but it is what it is I suppose.

Don’t really understand why they bothered to give him KHL minutes at all last season if that’s the case.

Reactions: coooldude

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
From the standpoint of the Sharks, if Chernyshov can be assigned to the Cuda, what is the benefit to him playing in Saginaw? I could see the case for a prospect like Eklund that had some filling out to do, but Chernyshov’s measurables seem to indicate he would be capable of navigating the physicality of playing in the AHL.

Also, IMO, it’s not “gifting” an AHL spot to a prospect that has already played in the KHL. The AHL is a developmental league that exists, at least from the perspective of the NHL, as a way station for preparing players for the NHL. If there weren’t restrictions included in the various league transfer agreements we’d see a bunch more players assigned to the AHL earlier in their careers (Musty). Since Chernyshov is free of his contract and there is no transfer agreement with the KHL, If the org believes in McCarthy and its development staff wouldn’t they prefer to have Chernyshov in San Jose working with them for the whole year?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
From the standpoint of the Sharks, if Chernyshov can be assigned to the Cuda, what is the benefit to him playing in Saginaw? I could see the case for a prospect like Eklund that has some filling out to do, but Chernyshov’s measurables seem like he would be physically capable of playing in the AHL.

Also, IMO, it’s not “gifting” an AHL spot to a prospect that has already played in the KHL. The AHL is a developmental league that exists, at least from the perspective of the NHL, as a way station for preparing players for the NHL. If there weren’t restrictions included in the various league transfer agreements we’d see a bunch more players assigned to the AHL earlier in their careers (Musty). If the org believes in McCarthy and its development staff wouldn’t they prefer to have Chernyshov in San Jose working with them for the whole year?

I agree, seems weird to play a guy who would’ve been a KHL player in the CHL and not the AHL. He’s big, he’s strong, he should be placed where he is the most challenged. He also allegedly plays a fairly complete game, he’s not only shooter mcshooterson like Halts.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
From the standpoint of the Sharks, if Chernyshov can be assigned to the Cuda, what is the benefit to him playing in Saginaw? I could see the case for a prospect like Eklund that had some filling out to do, but Chernyshov’s measurables seem to indicate he would be capable of navigating the physicality of playing in the AHL.

Also, IMO, it’s not “gifting” an AHL spot to a prospect that has already played in the KHL. The AHL is a developmental league that exists, at least from the perspective of the NHL, as a way station for preparing players for the NHL. If there weren’t restrictions included in the various league transfer agreements we’d see a bunch more players assigned to the AHL earlier in their careers (Musty). If the org believes in McCarthy and its development staff wouldn’t they prefer to have Chernyshov in San Jose working with them for the whole year?

It's probably two questions the Sharks org will answer in training camp:

1.) How ready is he? Is he a year away from the NHL or longer?

and

2.) How much do we (the Sharks org) want his ELC to slide?

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It's probably two questions the Sharks org will answer in training camp:

1.) How ready is he? Is he a year away from the NHL or longer?

and

2.) How much do we (the Sharks org) want his ELC to slide?
They can slide his contract in the AHL. For the purposes of sliding contracts only NHL regular season and playoff games count.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad