Prospect Info: 2024 Draft 144th Overall John Whipple

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My criticism last year was that they picked Cleveland in the second round instead of waiting. This draft they waited until the 5th round. Draper is showing some patience, that is a good sign.

5th rounders rarely make the NHL, but if he can skate and play with an edge then he'll at least be useful in GR.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Fun fact - Dr. Allen Whipple created the Whipple procedure, which is the name for a pancreaticoduodenectomy, the procedure done to remove pancreatic cancer. It’s a very big deal in surgery. This is all I can think of with this guy.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not gonna lie, always a bit concerned when the only tangible hockey skill referenced is being physical. Don't get me wrong, physicality is great, I just want to see some other tangible hockey skill to go along with the physical play. Being able to skate backwards is nice, but the way his skating is described doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 01-02-09 John Whipple John Whipple Profile John Whipple Scouting Repo...png

https://sites.google.com/view/upsidehockey/2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profiles#h.ms4end1716v5

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I posted this in another thread, so I'll just paste it all in here.

***​

I want to add some background I read somewhere: Whipple was supposed to be the best defenseman on the NTDP going into this season, and for whatever reason, he didn't take that step. But he's got a lot more tools than that weird scouting report you guys saw. Think of him more as a McIsaac type where he was hyped from a young age as an all around defenseman and it just didn't happen in his draft year. It's not a safe pick, it's a gamble.

Like, here, look at this, especially the first few posts:

Edit:

I found it, that original bit is from Wheeler.
Viewed by many as the star D prospect in the American 2006 class when he arrived at the program, Whipple became more of a piece of the puzzle with the national team than the guy. He's a solid player with a competitive spirit and decent tools and skill. It took him some time to find out who he was and then to make better decisions on both sides of the puck (though his decision-making can still frustrate), but he slowly figured it out and I believe he'll show more creativity and offense in college than he was able to at the NTDP. He can defend, make reads, move it (he snaps his outlets) and can execute difficult plays (some of which I think was beat out of him by the way he was asked to play at the program). It was nice to see him involving himself more at U18 worlds offensively even if the points didn’t necessarily come. He does see the ice well when he’s dailled in (which isn’t always). He can play hard and firm defensively, too. But he’s prone to making mistakes with and without the puck and that soured some on him over time. I still think he's got another level to find in college hockey if the right team is willing to be patient. I know not all NHL scouts feel the same way, though. I'd consider him in the later rounds to see if he can put it back together.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My criticism last year was that they picked Cleveland in the second round instead of waiting. This draft they waited until the 5th round. Draper is showing some patience, that is a good sign.

5th rounders rarely make the NHL, but if he can skate and play with an edge then he'll at least be useful in GR.
Maybe it has something to do how Tuomisto , Wallinder, Buam , ASP and AJ performed last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad