Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (1/1): Macklin Celebrini (C) | Boston University (NCAA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Eventually this is going to be filled with scouting reports and research material but for now:

OutletRank
NHL Central Scouting#1 North American Skater
TSN Bob McKenzie#1
TSN Craig Button#1
EliteProspects#1
Future Considerations#1
THN Ryan Kennedy#1
THN Tony Ferrari#1
Tankathon#1
FloHockey#1
Daily Faceoff#1
Dobber Hockey#1
The Hockey Writers#1

EliteProspects
Player type keywords: Cerebral Tactician, Playmaker, Sniper

Macklin Celebrini is special – there’s no other way to put it. An overwhelmingly skilled and dynamic two-way centre with franchise player potential. The best draft-year college prospect we’ve ever scouted.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Hockey Writers

There’s not much more to say at this point. Celebrini may not be a generational talent like Connor Bedard, but he is the best prospect available. If there was any doubt, he silenced it by becoming the youngest player to win a Hobey Baker Trophy as the NCAA’s top men’s player, then put up five points in three Frozen Four games. He’s asserted himself all season long as the most complete player of the 2024 Draft and earned the right to go first overall.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Athletic
Tier: Elite NHL player

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: High-end
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: High-end
Shot: High-end

Player comparable: Sidney Crosby

Analysis: Celebrini was the best player in college hockey this season and a leader for a top team in the country. He checks every box you want in a top prospect, and is one of the few players I’ve scouted where it’s hard to see any noticeable weakness. He skates very well. He has a very powerful stride with a quick twitch in his first few steps and is able to get by a lot of defenders. He’s extremely skilled and creative with high-end offensive sense. Celebrini makes a ton of difficult plays with the puck on the move, in tight areas and from a standstill. He has a bullet shot and projects to run a first power play in the NHL. He’s average-sized, but Celebrini is highly competitive, wins a lot of battles and projects as a two-way center in the NHL. He has all the makings of a potential superstar that you can build a contender around.

Pick grade: B+

Thoughts on the pick: Celebrini is one of the best and most complete prospects I’ve ever seen. He checks every box with emphasis between his skating, skill, hockey sense, compete and scoring ability. He looks like a no doubt two-way first line center one day in the NHL who the Sharks can form their rebuild around. He was the consensus first pick all season for a reason.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5598387/2024/06/28/sharks-rangers-nhl-draft-picks-grades-2024/ (****PAYWALL****)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

FloHockey

The most complete player in the draft, Celebrini is a high-producing forward who can take care of the defensive responsibilities of being a center as well as anyone. He’s highly skilled and creative, owns a goal-scorer’s shot and has elite hockey sense. Celebrini also has higher-end skating ability that allows him to separate from opponents and combines that with good quickness and agility to maximize his speed.

Celebrini became just the fourth freshman to win the Hobey Baker Award as college hockey’s best player, but was the youngest ever winner at 17 years old. He has all the makings of a No. 1 center that can be a franchise cornerstone player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sportsnet.ca (Jason Bukala)

Macklin-Celebrini-Front-1.png
Macklin-Celebrini-Back.png

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

"It is almost a consensus, Macklin Celebrini is the number one prospect in the 2024 NHL Draft. The Vancouver native has helped the Boston University Terriers to a spot in the NCAA’s Frozen Four tournament as a 17-year-old freshman. He has scored 32 goals and 32 assists for 64 points in 37 games. In the process, Celebrini racked up a number of individual awards including Hockey East Rookie of the Year, Player of the Year, and 1st All-Star Team. He won the conference scoring title and is a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award."

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have a feeling he wants to get out of Vegas. Felt bad for the kid people were stopping him left and right. I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was out by the rideshare by the sphere and his publicist asked if we could leave him alone. While he was sitting there for maybe 5 minutes at least 25 people came up asking for pictures and stuff. Crazy.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I have a feeling he wants to get out of Vegas. Felt bad for the kid people were stopping him left and right. I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was out by the rideshare by the sphere and his publicist asked if we could leave him alone. While he was sitting there for maybe 5 minutes at least 25 people came up asking for pictures and stuff. Crazy.
I mean it's a media moment. He won't get that anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad