Prospect Info: 2024 Development Camp

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Shutdown guy in an abysmal program, good size and skating ability who has played against top opposition throughout his college career. His numbers like +/- are solid relative to his team's goal differential taking on hard assignments in likely the best college conference in the states. There's often blind spots in analytic based evaluation of defensive defensemen. Munzenberger made a significant development mistake not going CHL route to play high number of games, pro travel schedule, and peer age competition. Instead he's tried to keep his head above water in a bad, chaotic program.

They clearly see value in the prospect or wouldn't waste a development camp spot on him. Limited upside but core defending with skating and some edge.
So I definitely disagree with the bolded. If Munzenberger had gone the major junior route they would have had to make a decision on him 2 years post draft, versus NCAA where they’ve got 4 maybe 5 years. It would’ve been nice to see him go to a bit of a bigger program to get a better read but the fact that he’s been getting a ton of minutes basically since stepping foot on campus could also be a good thing. To me he’s a prime candidate to be a graduate transfer and spend a 5th year in NCAA, see what he could do with a stronger program.

I’m probably one of the bigger fans of his around, but that’s entirely based on seeing him playing internationally for Germany. The numbers at Vermont are bad, but he always stood out playing with his peer group internationally. Strong defender with good awareness and he had a decent first pass. His ceiling is definitely a 4/5/6 at best but I don’t think he’s a write off by any means yet.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So I definitely disagree with the bolded. If Munzenberger had gone the major junior route they would have had to make a decision on him 2 years post draft, versus NCAA where they’ve got 4 maybe 5 years. It would’ve been nice to see him go to a bit of a bigger program to get a better read but the fact that he’s been getting a ton of minutes basically since stepping foot on campus could also be a good thing. To me he’s a prime candidate to be a graduate transfer and spend a 5th year in NCAA, see what he could do with a stronger program.

I’m probably one of the bigger fans of his around, but that’s entirely based on seeing him playing internationally for Germany. The numbers at Vermont are bad, but he always stood out playing with his peer group internationally. Strong defender with good awareness and he had a decent first pass. His ceiling is definitely a 4/5/6 at best but I don’t think he’s a write off by any means yet.
He needed a high volume of games not a college schedule. And a situation where he could develop a broader game against peer competition. Vermont has been a very poor program in which he has stagnated. If he stays in college four years and goes to a graduate studies fifth year then he will become an accountant or profession other than a pro hockey player.

I liked Munzenberger's U20 tournament where he showed a pretty solid two-way game driven by decent skating. I've also kept an eye on his time at Vermont. It hasn't served him well with its instability and rebuilding reality.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Always interesting seeing the prospects in, even if it's just off-ice stuff here. Akey missing basically an entire year of development, especially since it was his draft +1, is really concerning. Hope he catches up on lost time with Barrie, seems like a good kid with a good outlook. RHD with great skating, I really liked his pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad