Prospect Info: 2024 Development Camp

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Anyone know anything about Munzenberger?

Haven't really seen the name at all since the draft, and I know people were upset about it. Does he have a shot at becoming a player at all?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Haven't really seen the name at all since the draft, and I know people were upset about it. Does he have a shot at becoming a player at all?
I watched a handful of Vermont games this year. I'll be surprised if he gets a contract. Even defensive defensemen need some puck skill and he's about as skilled as your average beer leaguer in Edmonton.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I watched a handful of Vermont games this year. I'll be surprised if he gets a contract. Even defensive defensemen need some puck skill and he's about as skilled as your average beer leaguer in Edmonton.
Well that's unfortunate.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
No camp invites? I know very few lead to contracts, but we signed Brady Stonehouse through such avenue just last year. And we should have signed Misskey out of development camp last year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Loved watching Akey at the young stars tournament last year. Hopefully the injury hasn’t hampered his physical gifts.

Interesting that Mazura will be at the development camp. Wonder if he will ever play in the AHL. I always root for him because he was one of my favourite post draft interviews.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think they usually save camp invites for the fall camp.

This camp is all off ice, so it doesn't make much sense to bring in any randoms.

That is my understanding as well. Development camp is usually for guys you either own the rights to or played on either your AHL or ECHL team.

it is also a meet and greet with media of course

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That is my understanding as well. Development camp is usually for guys you either own the rights to or played on either your AHL or ECHL team.
Lots of teams are inviting undrafted guys to their development camps. Pretty sure that Montreal brought Alexander Zetterberg to theirs. It seems like a good opportunity to get a look at guys who you may still have left over from your draft list.

I didn't see anyone invite Tomas Galvas. And it'd be a good idea to bring in Tnias Mathurin, a teammate of Wakely's and a former 3rd round pick. Odds are he's getting a pro contract at some point this year if he stays healthy.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

it is also a meet and greet with media of course
Not true. They’ve invited undrafted prospects and free agents who haven’t agreed to signing ELCs as well. Henry Rybinski and Jan Spunar was at the Oilers’ 2022 camp. The former signed a ELC with Washington the same year.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Lots of teams are inviting undrafted guys to their development camps. Pretty sure that Montreal brought Alexander Zetterberg to theirs. It seems like a good opportunity to get a look at guys who you may still have left over from your draft list.

I didn't see anyone invite Tomas Galvas. And it'd be a good idea to bring in Tnias Mathurin, a teammate of Wakely's and a former 3rd round pick. Odds are he's getting a pro contract at some point this year if he stays healthy.
I thought it had to do with insurance who paid for the guys to come

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How do you know how good the average beer leaguer in Edmonton is???? My guess is that you easterners don't even watch Edmonton beer league games and only go by stats.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Guys like Zetterberg and Galvas aren’t even eligible to be signed afaik because they played in Europe last year(remember the Tkachev fiasco). Sure you could invite them but it really has minimal benefit, as neither will be around for main rookie camp in September due to their commitments for next season.

Reactions: belair

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Shutdown guy in an abysmal program, good size and skating ability who has played against top opposition throughout his college career. His numbers like +/- are solid relative to his team's goal differential taking on hard assignments in likely the best college conference in the states. There's often blind spots in analytic based evaluation of defensive defensemen. Munzenberger made a significant development mistake not going CHL route to play high number of games, pro travel schedule, and peer age competition. Instead he's tried to keep his head above water in a bad, chaotic program.

They clearly see value in the prospect or wouldn't waste a development camp spot on him. Limited upside but core defending with skating and some edge.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Will Akey go back to junior or AHL next year?
I could be wrong but I thought there was an agreement in place between the AHL and CHL where the player must be 20 years of age before he was eligible to play in the AHL besides signing a Amateur Tryout Contract Again could be wrong but regardless I wonder if his injury from last season might have him playing one more year of Jr since he only got into 14 games last year for the Colts.

Reactions: FlameChampion

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I could be wrong but I thought there was an agreement in place between the AHL and CHL where the player must be 20 years of age before he was eligible to play in the AHL besides signing a Amateur Tryout Contract Again could be wrong but regardless I wonder if his injury from last season might have him playing one more year of Jr since he only got into 14 games last year for the Colts.

You're right. Akey has one more year of junior before he's eligible for the AHL.

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
Nice article about Dalyn Wakely. Sounds like a high quality kid who would be easy to root for: https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer...cle_171bd5ce-57f5-579f-ab47-94a84aa9c405.html
Some nice interviews with the draftees (including Wakely) on the Oilers site. Also a good interview with Beau Akey, too. Tony Brar seems genuinely interested in the players he talks with. Hoping Wakely lines up with a fellow North Bay Battalion, Matvey Petrov in Bakersfield someday.
wakely-dalyn.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad