2024 Cup engraving

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Are a bunch of those former players now scouts or something? I know Hornvist is retired...

Hornqvist is scouting and development consultant for them.

Campbell is assistant GM (and AHL GM).

Luongo is special advisor to the GM.

McCabe is director of player personnel.

Ruutu is assistant coach.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Any English teachers here?

I’ve always wondered if “engraved” is a misnomer when it comes to the Stanley Cup. The names are inscribed by stamping each individual character onto the metal band, so that the letters are indented into the surface of the metal. My understanding of the term “engraving” is that it necessarily entails removing material by cutting, etching, etc.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Any English teachers here?

I’ve always wondered if “engraved” is a misnomer when it comes to the Stanley Cup. The names are inscribed by stamping each individual character onto the metal band, so that the letters are indented into the surface of the metal. My understanding of the term “engraving” is that it necessarily entails removing material by cutting, etching, etc.

Forner English teacher here. Engrave is a process of cutting into the surface. Inscribe can also mean the same thing. However, contextually to "inscribe" means to honor a person, place or event. So technically speaking, both words can be used in this case. But the contextual usage differs. In an over simplified way, engrave can be determined as an action, whereas inscribe can be determined as an action of honor or to honor. Ultimately both are actions with different contextual meanings.

Further Example:

Engrave:

I had my favorite, funny quotation engraved into a coffee cup. (a cutting action but not an honor)

Inscribe:

I inscribed the names of my family members into a limestone monument. (a cutting action being used to honor something/someone)

Engrave can be used in an honorable or non-honorable way. Whereas inscribe is only used in an honorable way.

Last edited:

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
I know they replace a ring after every 13 years. Do they not touch the top rings, and just replace the larger bottom ones?

So your name stays on the cup for 65 years? Would be pretty thought out.

Between 52 and 65 years depending on where in the current ring a team is located. Interesting sidenote here, if neither Toronto nor Philadelphia win the Cup before the next ring is replaced (after the 2029-30 season), both teams will fall off it entirely.

What Happens When The Stanley Cup Is Full?​

The redesign of the Stanley Cup was done with the purpose of being able to go to the centennial of its origin, which would have been 1992. However, the 1965 Montreal Canadiens took two spots so it filled up a year early.

A new ring is then added to the bottom of the Stanley Cup that will be filled up after another 13 teams have won.

Up to this point there have been three barrel rings to be retired:

• 1927–28 to 1939–40 champions
  • 1940–41 to 1952–53 Cup winners
  • 1953–54 to 1964–65
The 2017-2018 Washington Capitals started a new ring and the next ring is not set to be retired until after the 2029-30 season.

What Happens To The Rings?​

When it filled up the NHL took the top most ring of the barrel off, which were the 1927–28 to 1939–40 champions, and took it to the Hockey Hall of Fame to be displayed flattened out on the wall of the trophy room.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
Forner English teacher here. Engrave is a process of cutting into the surface. Inscribe can also mean the same thing. However, contextually to "inscribe" means to honor a person, place or event. So technically speaking, both words can be used in this case. But the contextual usage differs. In an over simplified way, engrave can be determined as an action, whereas inscribe can be determined as an action of honor or to honor. Ultimately both are actions with different contextual meanings.

Further Example:

Engrave:

I had my favorite, funny quotation engraved into a coffee cup. (a cutting action but not an honor)

Inscribe:

I inscribed the names of my family members into a limestone monument. (a cutting action being used to honor something/someone)

Engrave can be used in an honorable or non-honorable way. Whereas inscribe is only used in an honorable way.
To clarify: my confusion wasn’t over a distinction between the two words ‘engrave’ and ‘inscribe’.

I’m asking whether it is correct to use the term “engrave” when the names are added to the cup in a way that doesn’t involve cutting, etching, carving, etc.

The names are stamped into the cup, and as far as I can tell that technique is not consistent with the definition of “engraved/engraving”

en·grave
verb
  1. cut or carve (a text or design) on the surface of a hard object.
    "my name was engraved on the ring"

Reactions: uncleben

IceManCat

Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
To clarify: my confusion wasn’t over a distinction between the two words ‘engrave’ and ‘inscribe’.

I’m asking whether it is correct to use the term “engrave” when the names are added to the cup in a way that doesn’t involve cutting, etching, carving, etc.

The names are stamped into the cup, and as far as I can tell that technique is not consistent with the definition of “engraved/engraving”

en·grave
verb
  1. cut or carve (a text or design) on the surface of a hard object.
    "my name was engraved on the ring"

A stamp uses colored ink, and is what you would use to certify documents and letters as postage. The Stanley Cup names are absolutely not stamped. They are etched in by hand, using a hammer and stencil. This very much fits the definition of an engraving / inscription.

Screen Shot 2024-07-24 at 2.37.46 PM.png

Reactions: CanadienShark

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
A stamp uses colored ink, and is what you would use to certify documents and letters as postage. The Stanley Cup names are absolutely not stamped. They are etched in by hand, using a hammer and stencil. This is very much fits the definition of an engraving / inscription.

View attachment 896829

Not sure if you’re being serious but the word “stamp” has multiple meanings, one of which is to create an impression or mark by imprinting. It also refers to the tool used for such purpose. In the video you linked you can see one being used at about the 0:31 mark. Here’s a picture of the tool in question:

IMG_5298.jpeg

From doing some further reading it appears, as far as I can tell, that the letters and numbers are first stamped into the cup, and then the lines and contours of individual characters are accentuated using hand engraving tools which cut into the metal and deepen the impression made by the initial stamp. Because that 2nd step involves cutting, the process would be considered engraving.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I mean....it feels like a bit of stretch to include so many non players on it. IMO it should be the following.....

Owner - GM - Head Coach - Assistant Coaches - Players.

No scouts. No player development. No assistant GM's. No waterboys. Keep it simple.

Pft, the only name should be the guy who scores the winning goal in the final game.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
I mean....it feels like a bit of stretch to include so many non players on it. IMO it should be the following.....

No scouts. No player development. No assistant GM's. No waterboys. Keep it simple.
Just wait til they're adding the winning team's daily fantasy sponsor on the Bet99 Stanley Cup™ Brought To You By DraftKings

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

IceManCat

Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Not sure if you’re being serious but the word “stamp” has multiple meanings, one of which is to create an impression or mark by imprinting. It also refers to the tool used for such purpose. In the video you linked you can see one being used at about the 0:31 mark. Here’s a picture of the tool in question:

View attachment 896831

From doing some further reading it appears, as far as I can tell, that the letters and numbers are first stamped into the cup, and then the lines and contours of individual characters are accentuated using hand engraving tools which cut into the metal and deepen the impression made by the initial stamp. Because that 2nd step involves cutting, the process would be considered engraving.

I still have no idea what you are talking about? The best thing I can gather here is that the word "stamp" is synonymous with the word "engrave". As long as there is a "cutting" of the metal that would be considered an engraving. If the tool being used is called a stamp that would make it a noun not a verb. So we have stamp as a noun and then to stamp as a verb? Why not just call the cutting action what it is, which is an engraving? Also, if there is a tracing of some sort that tracing device would be called a stencil. Maybe there is a vocabulary difference between Canadian or American English because it makes zero sense to me lol.

UPDATE:

Iv'e gone back to do a little more research. According to "some" definitions a stamp involves *one action* to make a mark, and that's it. Engrave involved multiple actions. So if it were a single letter, a single logo, or a single design that would be considered a stamp. However, if it involves multiple letters, numbers, or names, or designs that would be considered engraving. So there is a sort of plural - singular element to it.

On another note, I have seen the difference defined as the *removal* of metal from the object (engrave) or alternately the *pressing down* of the metal into the object as (stamp).

From my side of things, I almost always hear the word stamp being used as postage or to certify official documents. I have yet to hear it the context of cutting into metal. But I am a white-collar worker not a blacksmith lol.

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I still have no idea what you are talking about? The best thing I can gather here is that the word "stamp" is synonymous with the word "engrave". As long as there is a "cutting" of the metal that would be considered an engraving. If the tool being used is called a stamp that would make it a noun not a verb. So we have stamp as a noun and then to stamp as a verb? Why not just call the cutting action what it is, which is an engraving? Also, if there is a tracing of some sort that tracing device would be called a stencil. Maybe there is a vocabulary difference between Canadian or American English because it makes zero sense to me lol.

UPDATE:

Iv'e gone back to do a little more research. According to "some" definitions a stamp involves *one action* to make a mark, and that's it. Engrave involved multiple actions. So if it were a single letter, a single logo, or a single design that would be considered a stamp. However, if it involves multiple letters, numbers, or names, or designs that would be considered engraving. So there is a sort of plural - singular element to it.

On another note, I have seen the difference defined as the *removal* of metal from the object (engrave) or alternately the *pressing down* of the metal into the object as (stamp).

From my side of things, I almost always hear the word stamp being used as postage or to certify official documents. I have yet to hear it the context of cutting into metal. But I am a white-collar worker not a blacksmith lol.
To clarify further, "stamp" can be additive like to leave an inky (or some other foreign substance) mark, or it can be subtractive by removing pieces, as in to "stamp" (cut) something out, like a cookie cutter, OR it can also mean to "press" or leave an impression, which is the definition applicable here.

They use the stamps (noun) to stamp (verb) the metal on the Cup, leaving a dent or impression in the desired shapes (each letter type)

It's a little confusing with all the different versions of the word, and the Stanley Cup process specifically has the added layer where they apparently do also hand carve and engrave the letters after stamping the impression in
But this is an off-season topic that I pleasantly surprisingly here for :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Honestly I wish they would just leave all of the bands on there. You know how funny it would be to see players hoisting a 4m, 45kg trophy around the ice?
The serious idea I've had is that they need to attach the retired rings to the original, retired cup, or at least roll them back into barrels and display them under it rather than plastered on the wall.

Reactions: uncleben

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I wonder if they ask the players how they want their name to appear, i.e. Samson vs. Sam.

Cousins’ first name is apparently actually Brian, rather than Nick/Nicholas.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

This take is (to me) so wrong. Scouts, player dev. asst. GM’s and what you call waterboys (trainers) are integral parts of building a winner.
I’d say limit to 2 owner names (no corporations) 1 president, 1 VP.
But the water boys earned their spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad