Who is the Blues’ #8 Prospect?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I am actually pretty high on Pekarcik but believe that Kessel should have gone last round. After that I am going Dean, Zherenko and Lukas Fischer

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Voting Kessel for the 2nd straight poll. He doesn't really meet my personal definition of a prospect at this point, but he is in the poll and I'm not holding it against him that I have a different opinion of 'who is a prospect' than the site's.

He showed me last year that he is legitimately an NHL D man. And while we are talking about a very limited sample size, he looked surprisingly adequate when we put him in a legit top 4 role. I see a guy who is very likely to play a few hundred NHL games and has the potential to be a legit 2nd pair guy.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I'm very intrigued after watching some clips of Mrsic.

I expect 'we' will probably put him around #15 on the Blues prospect poll. He has the potential to be a huge riser next year.

If we actually put him somewhere around #15, that would show how good our prospect pool has grown in depth compared to just a couple of years ago.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Voting for Susuyev again. I like Mrsic, but personally, I'd put Koromyslov above him. Just my opinion, of course; I've got nothing against Mrsic being the next prospect added.

Buchinger isn't getting nearly enough love, though, in my opinion; he's our best offensive defenseman prospect in the system, and definitely in the tier of Susuyev, Dean, Kessel, and Pekarcik. I could see him get to our NHL roster easily if Perunovich falters or if we need a spark, given Krug's status.

Reactions: LGB

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Awesome depth, I still believe Dean has a good chance to be an impactful middle six forward and he'll go 9th. After him my prospect knowledge isn't as deep, but I do like what I've seen from Buchinger and would have him next.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Voting for Susuyev again. I like Mrsic, but personally, I'd put Koromyslov above him. Just my opinion, of course; I've got nothing against Mrsic being the next prospect added.

Buchinger isn't getting nearly enough love, though, in my opinion; he's our best offensive defenseman prospect in the system, and definitely in the tier of Susuyev, Dean, Kessel, and Pekarcik. I could see him get to our NHL roster easily if Perunovich falters or if we need a spark, given Krug's status.
I think the Buchinger has the highest ceiling left of all players, but he is also the biggest boom/bust. I would not be in any way surprised to see him become a #3 Dman and prime PPQB in the NHL. But. He could easily end up being a #6/7 as well.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think the Buchinger has the highest ceiling left of all players, but he is also the biggest boom/bust. I would not be in any way surprised to see him become a #3 Dman and prime PPQB in the NHL. But. He could easily end up being a #6/7 as well.
Agree with his ceiling and that he is perhaps being a bit underrated here. Or at least should be a bit more in the discussion. But I’d say his floor is a fair amount lower than #6-7 d-man. It’s more than possible he is just a decent AHL PP QB.

I’ll be interested to see how he adapts to pro hockey this season.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Agree with his ceiling and that he is perhaps being a bit underrated here. Or at least should be a bit more in the discussion. But I’d say his floor is a fair amount lower than #6-7 d-man. It’s more than possible he is just a decent AHL PP QB.

100% agree. Everything with Buchinger depends on if his offense translates to pro. I absolutely think it will and he'll be the first Defenseman in our prospect pool that makes the jump from AHL to NHL. Without Kessel I put him higher than Pekarcik and Dean at #7 on my list.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
IDK about Buchinger...caught a couple Guelph games this past year and he just did not stand out at all. Good player for sure, but doesn't have any outstanding physical qualities and his offense isn't elite. Would love to be wrong about him, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he makes a significant impact in the NHL.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
IDK about Buchinger...caught a couple Guelph games this past year and he just did not stand out at all. Good player for sure, but doesn't have any outstanding physical qualities and his offense isn't elite. Would love to be wrong about him, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he makes a significant impact in the NHL.
Probably didn't help Guelph Storm wasn't the greatest team last year and he got injured at the end of the season.

Also doesn't help that Guelph's defense outside of Buchinger was absolutely terrible last season.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

I don't understand the sentiment that Buchinger is underrated at all. I expect he will probably be chosen 10th-12th in the poll and that's really not a knock on him but more a statement that our prospect depth hasn't been this good for ages.

In the past I felt we constantly had 10-ish prospects who could eventually turn into decent NHLers, it almost feels like we have 20 guys now. Not saying that all of them will make the NHL, but the potential is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
100% agree. Everything with Buchinger depends on if his offense translates to pro. I absolutely think it will and he'll be the first Defenseman in our prospect pool that makes the jump from AHL to NHL. Without Kessel I put him higher than Pekarcik and Dean at #7 on my list.

I think Loof gets the shot before Buchinger. Sounds like he really needs to focus on the defensive side of things.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
If you're voting most NHL ready I'm sure Kessel wins. If your voting for most offensive talent I can see voting Dean / Jecho (who some saw being taken in the first round and we stole). I voted Lukas Fischer because I think he has the highest floor of all remaining candidates. He's got great genes / pedigree from his dad. At 17 he seems to be so focused, mentally acute and aware, purpose driven thinker/player. I don't know and I can't really put my finger on why to be honest. I don't think he will ever light up the league offensively but I see a solid 2nd line shut down defender (at worst) that eventually will be able to put up big minutes and counted on every shift of every game day in and day out. Defensively consistent with some speed and outlet passing.

This being said, i can't say I've seen much video at all of Colin Ralph either. He's kind of a wild card that Blues brass must have seen something they liked in him. I really don't know where to place him in prospect rankings because of this. I can't get out of my head that we didn't pick Stian Solberg (and really liked him) so this was our 2nd best option in that same style of player.

Then again, i could be completely full of crap. :DD

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I expect 'we' will probably put him around #15 on the Blues prospect poll. He has the potential to be a huge riser next year.

If we actually put him somewhere around #15, that would show how good our prospect pool has grown in depth compared to just a couple of years ago.
Definitely. He feels like a guy that would've been around 10 for us a few seasons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad