• Vadim Zherenko

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
To your point, there have been plenty of players, even some HOF-ers, who fit his profile. Guys like Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Mike Bossy, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Dave Andreychuk, and Alex Ovechkin come to mind. Like you, I feel there is some push-back due to the idea that just because you're not a "play driver" that your value is somehow diminished. There is tremendous value in having guys who can finish the plays that the "play drivers" are driving, especially if they can score from just about anywhere in the O-zone without benefit of being set up for a play.
Yea I mean look at a guy like Saad. He's not a play driver but he's a very effective scorer, and that's why he's always had a fair bit of value. I think Snuggy has a chance to be a rich man's Saad at the very least, but scoring in different ways (Snuggy has a shot, Saad is simply a master at finding space/timing.)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not, I simply take exception to this idea that he, "Took over a game." To me that's someone who's controlling the play and generating chances for himself or his teammates. Tarasenko wasn't that guy. He was the drive in on the wing and snap a wrister out of nowhere that shocks the goalie as it whizzes by his ear. That's not taking over a game imo, it's a singular talent that barely anyone has and could happen from anytime and anywhere.

I liken it to like a Devin Hester in football. The dude didn't take over a game, but man when he got the ball something special could always happen.
Yeah, all this stuff is pretty vague, where we each have slightly different definitions. I'd say Schwartz was more of a driver, where Tarasenko was someone that just needed one play to turn the momentum, to bring us back into the game, or put the other team out for good.

Reactions: BadgersandBlues

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I love that selecting our 4th best prospect is such a difficult question. Bolduc, Jiricek, and Stenberg. This is a great problem to have.

I honestly could argue for all three. I picked Jiricek because I believe he's the only one to have top line/top pairing upside. I fully expect Bolduc and Stenberg to have a major impact on this team over in the next 5 seasons though.

Reactions: LogosBlue

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Jiricek definitely has the highest top end talent, skating and drive of the three. A top line defensive pair defenseman has much more overall value than a top line winger. A top line center (depending on the player) may be neck and neck in value. I'm not sure Bolduc or Stenberg ever reach top line minutes in the NHL but are for sure full time second line guys if they perform to their potential. I think Jiricek develops into a top line defensive guy. He's only 17 and is still very impressive already. No brainer for me.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Jiricek again as the highest upside Dman in the organization.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
My favorite part of these rankings is to see how different posters evaluate prospects. Some weigh more heavily on potential, others seem to value high floors, progress since being drafted or nhl readiness. I try to take everything into account but definitely lean more into higher ceiling/potential when I find myself stuck between multiple prospects.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think there’s a very good chance next year at this time assuming we don’t pick top 5 Jiricek could be our number 2 prospect.

However, I also think it’s very realistic Bolduc has graduated by that time. He looked like he really started to figure out how to be a plus while on the ice at the NHL level even when he wasn’t scoring down the stretch. And frankly, that was the only knock on him for the past couple of years.

Voted Bolduc, but i think it’s pretty clear we have a defined and pretty promising top 6 which is really exciting.

I’ve for some reason been convinced since we drafted Stenberg that he will be Steen at the NHL level, which theoretically if any prospect we have is as impactful as Steen throughout their career they should be number 1. However, I think that’s a pretty clear ceiling for him.

Reactions: BrokenFace

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I love it that Bolduc responds to adversity in what seems to be an emotionally-healthy manner. He's got that Jake Walman drive, which is not common.

He was turned down for the WJC team and was very disappointed, but came back even stronger. His start in the AHL was decent, but he wasn't showing up on the scoresheet. Those who watched T-Birds games noticed that he was working hard on his two-way game and then he suddenly started to score.

His stint with the Blues was similar. Kind of a boring start for him and then he figured it out. Quickly. I think most of us were pleasantly surprised by his ability to adjust.

Bolduc seems like a quiet guy, but he has the drive and emotional maturity to dig deeper. He believes in himself, just like Walman.

I also liked Dean's response after Bolduc was called up. He was promoted to a scoring line and immediately responded with points.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Jiricek definitely has the highest top end talent, skating and drive of the three. A top line defensive pair defenseman has much more overall value than a top line winger. A top line center (depending on the player) may be neck and neck in value. I'm not sure Bolduc or Stenberg ever reach top line minutes in the NHL but are for sure full time second line guys if they perform to their potential. I think Jiricek develops into a top line defensive guy. He's only 17 and is still very impressive already. No brainer for me.
I think Stenberg has a better chance of being a legit 1st liner than Jiricek does of being a legit 1st pairing D.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
As others have said, this is between Bolduc, Jiricek, and Stenberg.

Bolduc is obviously the closest to the NHL. I think he'll most likely end up being a 2nd line complimentary piece, but I think his ceiling is a low-end top line winger. I'm thinking Perron is somewhat comparable if he can get close to his ceiling; good hands, good shot, skilled but willing to get into the dirty areas, and yes, they are both French Canadian.

Jiricek I think has the highest ceiling but also the lowest floor. I think he has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman, but I could also see him on the 3rd pairing leaving us wanting more. But I do believe that with his talent, he's more likely going to be a 2nd pairing at worst. But I can't rule out the 3rd pairing as a possibility.

Stenberg I think is similar to Bolduc in terms of ceiling and floor. This says a lot about Stenberg given that he just turned 19 and is over two years younger than Bolduc. I agree with others when they say that he has one of the higher floors out of all of our prospects. He just seems to have that style of play that can't not be successful in the NHL. People mention Steen a lot, which I get, but I kinda think he's more like a Schwartz personally. I'd be happy if he ended up like either of those players, though.

It's tough, I can't blame anyone for choosing any one of these three. Considering I find Stenberg and Bolduc to have almost identical ceiling/floors, I think between those two I have to go with Bolduc because he has the edge in terms of being closer to the NHL. It's the safer pick.

So that leaves Bolduc and Jiricek. Yeesh. I normally lean towards the player with higher potential, which in this case is Jiricek, but given how far away he is and how close Bolduc is, it closes the gap quite a bit. It's very close.

I'll go with Bolduc, but it's painful.

So my personal list would look like this:

1. Dvorsky
2. Lindstein
3. Snuggerud
4. Bolduc
5. Jiricek
6. Stenberg

I can't believe I have Stenberg at 6. I love Stenberg.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
I think Stenberg has a better chance of being a legit 1st liner than Jiricek does of being a legit 1st pairing D.
And your entitled to that opinion. I believe that it will take 3 full years for Jiricek to mature but thru that maturation process, he definitely evolves into a legit top line guy. Alot of people on here think he also has a low floor potential as well but I'm not in that boat. I think the organization is going to be patient with him, and he puts the work in to hit his potential. I've said it before and i'll keep saying it. I see a Makar-esque type of dominant fluid skating and distributing top pair defenseman and i hope he proves me right.

Reactions: Goodman68

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
As others have said, this is between Bolduc, Jiricek, and Stenberg.

Bolduc is obviously the closest to the NHL. I think he'll most likely end up being a 2nd line complimentary piece, but I think his ceiling is a low-end top line winger. I'm thinking Perron is somewhat comparable if he can get close to his ceiling; good hands, good shot, skilled but willing to get into the dirty areas, and yes, they are both French Canadian.

Jiricek I think has the highest ceiling but also the lowest floor. I think he has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman, but I could also see him on the 3rd pairing leaving us wanting more. But I do believe that with his talent, he's more likely going to be a 2nd pairing at worst. But I can't rule out the 3rd pairing as a possibility.

Stenberg I think is similar to Bolduc in terms of ceiling and floor. This says a lot about Stenberg given that he just turned 19 and is over two years younger than Bolduc. I agree with others when they say that he has one of the higher floors out of all of our prospects. He just seems to have that style of play that can't not be successful in the NHL. People mention Steen a lot, which I get, but I kinda think he's more like a Schwartz personally. I'd be happy if he ended up like either of those players, though.

It's tough, I can't blame anyone for choosing any one of these three. Considering I find Stenberg and Bolduc to have almost identical ceiling/floors, I think between those two I have to go with Bolduc because he has the edge in terms of being closer to the NHL. It's the safer pick.

So that leaves Bolduc and Jiricek. Yeesh. I normally lean towards the player with higher potential, which in this case is Jiricek, but given how far away he is and how close Bolduc is, it closes the gap quite a bit. It's very close.

I'll go with Bolduc, but it's painful.

So my personal list would look like this:

1. Dvorsky
2. Lindstein
3. Snuggerud
4. Bolduc
5. Jiricek
6. Stenberg

I can't believe I have Stenberg at 6. I love Stenberg.
I had similar thoughts and was also surprised I had Otto 6th on my list as I really like Otto. But we just have a really strong top-6.

I have it:

1. Dvorsky
2. Lindstein
3. Jiricek
4. Snuggerud
5. Bolduc
6. Stenberg

Was also surprised having Snuggs at 4 but when I really thought about it, virtual ties went to the d-men over a winger.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I had similar thoughts and was also surprised I had Otto 6th on my list as I really like Otto. But we just have a really strong top-6.

I have it:

1. Dvorsky
2. Lindstein
3. Jiricek
4. Snuggerud
5. Bolduc
6. Stenberg

Was also surprised having Snuggs at 4 but when I really thought about it, virtual ties went to the d-men over a winger.

That's my list, only swap Jiricek and Lindstein. And I echo my surprise at Otto and Bolduc being bottom 2 for me. I've long been one of Bolduc's few strong supporters. I was the only one who voted for him in the sitewide team board mock the year he was drafted. It's weird now others are ranking him ahead of where I have him. But D trumps winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL fan in MN

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
And your entitled to that opinion. I believe that it will take 3 full years for Jiricek to mature but thru that maturation process, he definitely evolves into a legit top line guy. Alot of people on here think he also has a low floor potential as well but I'm not in that boat. I think the organization is going to be patient with him, and he puts the work in to hit his potential. I've said it before and i'll keep saying it. I see a Makar-esque type of dominant fluid skating and distributing top pair defenseman and i hope he proves me right.
Makar comp? I don't think we're seeing the same player.

Reactions: Thallis

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Jiricek is a completely different genre of defender than Makar. His offensive ceiling isn't in the same stratosphere.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Jiricek is a completely different genre of defender than Makar. His offensive ceiling isn't in the same stratosphere.
Yea seems like a weird comp, not even remotely similar players from what I've seen. Although if he turns into a Makar somehow I would be ecstatic!

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018

I don't think his offensive output will match Makar but his style of play is very similar from the multiple videos I've watched. His elite skating ability with great (at times) stickhandling control and desire to carry the puck into the offensive zone and maintaining control until he sees the right pass / outlet. Definitely Makar (light) but style of play is the same. He will take some time to develop but I'll stick to my guns and we'll see how he turns out. Let's circle back in three years or so.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think his offensive output will match Makar but his style of play is very similar from the multiple videos I've watched. His elite skating ability with great (at times) stickhandling control and desire to carry the puck into the offensive zone and maintaining control until he sees the right pass / outlet. Definitely Makar (light) but style of play is the same. He will take some time to develop but I'll stick to my guns and we'll see how he turns out. Let's circle back in three years or so.
One of the biggest differences is Makar’s vision.

I personally find Jericik’s lacking if the hope is a top paring/#1 guy. I am hoping the CHL exposure helps in that area.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
From what I've seen Jiricek has shown excellent vision at times. He's a strong distributor and he gets pretty flashy with it at times, looking away for deception but still threading the needle. His stickhandling and drive to the net is also impressive at times. Makar is a lofty comp. I don't see that level of offensive upside, but based on what I've seen there's certainly potential to exceed the offensive ability his shown thus far with more experience.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If you REALLY squint you can see some similarities between Jiricek and Makar move around on the ice and attack offensively. Makar is on another level tho, and has a much better shot. Jiricek is more of a passer and much more physical. I think Jiricek is more aggressive overall, but particularly in the dzone.

It’s not a great comparison IMO.

Reactions: Goodman68

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
If you REALLY squint you can see some similarities between Jiricek and Makar move around on the ice and attack offensively. Makar is on another level tho, and has a much better shot. Jiricek is more of a passer and much more physical. I think Jiricek is more aggressive overall, but particularly in the dzone.

It’s not a great comparison IMO.
Yeah man! I squinted really hard, but then my eyes were closed. I can’t see it. The comparison, I mean.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad