• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
That doesn't make sense. If you are not going to do it against college players, how do you expect to be able to do it against pros? And Trevor Connelly is a non-sequitur. His draft stock dropped due to off-ice issues. That does not apply here.

You comment about Jackson Blake is my point. He's not projected as a line driver in the NHL, but he is still having success in college without having a great supporting cast. Snuggerud didn't have a good year at all. He is supposedly NHL ready and he finished 65th or something in points, and 90 something in ppg. His level of play dropped to that of his linemates. And that is worrisome.

People say, oh just put him with Thomas. What if Thomas gets hurt. Then we lost 2 guys because Snuggerud's success is 100% related to his linemate? Snuggerud's shot is lethal, and he can potentially carve out an NHL career based on that. But nobody is clamoring for Laine, who has an incredible shot. You have to be able to do more. Hopefully Snuggy figures it out, but he went back to college because he is not ready.

Of course. Perunovich won the Hobey Baker too. They did it when they were older, so it is less impressive than Fantilli, Celebrini or Eichel. But I am not going to argue that players can be good in colege and bad in the pros.

But what about the reverse? Has any player been meh in college and become a star NHL player?

It’s the tools vs production argument.

Snuggy was having a pretty good season until the end of the season.

Snuggerud is a shooter. If he’s a middle 6 5v5 player but is also potting 10 PPG and changing the dynamic of our power play. That’s still a very good prospect.

I think alot of teams would love to add Laine, the issue is he’s being paid 9m nearly and it’s hard to fit him in in the cap era.

My viewpoint of Snuggerud is that he can be what David Perron was for us very soon.

Reactions: HighNote

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Stuck with Lindstein.

Probably Jiricek next as his potential is the highest IMO but Stenberg and Bolduc are right there too and safer bets.

I’ll probably start poll 4 sometime this evening but want folks to have some time to comment on this poll if they want to first.

Also, let me know who you want added as options as we go along. Not likely needed for the next few polls but I know some of us have personal favorites.
I’m going to recommend Aleksanteri Kaskimaki and then Simon Robertsson, like I did in the 2nd poll.

(I suppose Vadim Zherenko is also an option, but I absolutely never vote goalies.)

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
That doesn't make sense. If you are not going to do it against college players, how do you expect to be able to do it against pros? And Trevor Connelly is a non-sequitur. His draft stock dropped due to off-ice issues. That does not apply here.

You comment about Jackson Blake is my point. He's not projected as a line driver in the NHL, but he is still having success in college without having a great supporting cast. Snuggerud didn't have a good year at all. He is supposedly NHL ready and he finished 65th or something in points, and 90 something in ppg. His level of play dropped to that of his linemates. And that is worrisome.

People say, oh just put him with Thomas. What if Thomas gets hurt. Then we lost 2 guys because Snuggerud's success is 100% related to his linemate? Snuggerud's shot is lethal, and he can potentially carve out an NHL career based on that. But nobody is clamoring for Laine, who has an incredible shot. You have to be able to do more. Hopefully Snuggy figures it out, but he went back to college because he is not ready.

Of course. Perunovich won the Hobey Baker too. They did it when they were older, so it is less impressive than Fantilli, Celebrini or Eichel. But I am not going to argue that players can be good in colege and bad in the pros.

But what about the reverse? Has any player been meh in college and become a star NHL player?
If you want to throw out his freshman season then I guess your argument makes sense. It did happen though, and though he had good linemates (a lot of prospects do) Jimmy was critical to that lines success.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If you want to throw out his freshman season then I guess your argument makes sense. It did happen though, and though he had good linemates (a lot of prospects do) Jimmy was critical to that lines success.

I didn't throw out his freshman year. That started the conversation. I have concerns he requires great linemates and cannot create for himself or his line. That greatly diminishes his value to me. Was he critical to that line? You say that, but can you prove it?

It’s the tools vs production argument.

Snuggy was having a pretty good season until the end of the season.

Snuggerud is a shooter. If he’s a middle 6 5v5 player but is also potting 10 PPG and changing the dynamic of our power play. That’s still a very good prospect.

I think alot of teams would love to add Laine, the issue is he’s being paid 9m nearly and it’s hard to fit him in in the cap era.

My viewpoint of Snuggerud is that he can be what David Perron was for us very soon.

Perron had a lot more well rounded skills. He had better vision, playmaking, stick handling. Snuggerud could still get there. I just think a lot of people are making excuses for some red flags around Snuggerud due to wishful thinking. Red flags don't mean he will bust for sure, but he still needs to work on a lot of stuff.

Reactions: Celtic Note

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I didn't throw out his freshman year. That started the conversation. I have concerns he requires great linemates and cannot create for himself or his line. That greatly diminishes his value to me. Was he critical to that line? You say that, but can you prove it?

Perron had a lot more well rounded skills. He had better vision, playmaking, stick handling. Snuggerud could still get there. I just think a lot of people are making excuses for some red flags around Snuggerud due to wishful thinking. Red flags don't mean he will bust for sure, but he still needs to work on a lot of stuff.
I guess we just have fundamentally different evaluations of Snuggerud. I think his vision, playmaking, and stick handling are all strengths. I can't prove a subjective claim, but I think it's pretty obvious to be honest. He passes very well through the NZ, his positioning and offensive IQ is excellent, and obviously he puts the puck in the net. During the WJC that year Knies was exchanged for Gauthier who seems to be a consensus top 10 prospect in the world right now, and he was the passenger along for the ride on the Cooley and Snuggerud show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad