• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’ll probably stop adding additional options soon unless there’s others some would vote for in their top-25?

The remaining players I’d consider eligible for these polls are: Abramov, Biakabutuka, Cranley, Dorian, Korotky, Laferriere, Malmstrom, McIsaac, Skinner and Washkurak. Anyone else I’m missing?

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
I'll go Paul Fischer here but there's legimately 6-8 guys worthy at this spot so its just who you prefer. I like Fischer much in the way that STL in MN sees him as a Kessel type of prospect. Kos, Jecho, etc could pass him but I want to see them do it first.

Also, it shows the organizational depth when any of Susuyev, Jecho, Kaskimaki, Kos, etc could be the 20th ranked prospect. These are all top 10-12 guys over the years for the Blues and thats exciting.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Went with Fischer. Kos/Jecho next.

I’ll probably stop adding additional options soon unless there’s others some would vote for in their top-25?

The remaining players I’d consider eligible for these polls are: Abramov, Biakabutuka, Cranley, Dorian, Korotky, Laferriere, Malmstrom, McIsaac, Skinner and Washkurak. Anyone else I’m missing?

McIsaac could be decent, I'd be cool if he got added at some point.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Washkurak was non-tendered and signed an AHL deal with the Senators’ affiliate in Belleville. He is no longer a Blues prospect.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Side note: I wonder if we’ll ever let our Russian scout draft anyone higher than the 7th round!

Yeah, it almost seems like every year when there is no one left on our list when we hit the 7th-round, we decide to call good 'ol Jerzy if he has some scraps left.

Wish we'd call him sooner tbh so we would've drafted a guy like Yegor Graf instead of Dorion.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I really think Paul Fischer has a good chance to play some NHL games.

Probably Ellis next for me. Great to see him have a bounce back year last season, hoping he can pick up right where he left off and push Zherenko for AHL games. I’ve been down on him in the past, but you never know!

After that it’s some mix of bigger guys with NHL frames who may carve out a bottom 6 role like Peterson, Stancl, or Jecho. Kaskimaki, Kos, and Vorobyov in the mix as well.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
We’re at the 15th spot and I feel like we still have plenty of guys with at least a decent chance of playing in the NHL. Most obviously won’t but guys like Kessel, Toropchenko, Reaves, Binnington were all routinely way down the prospect rankings…until suddenly they were NHLers.

Fischer is a solid unassuming d-man. The guys at the Athletic projected some of the WJC rosters today and they have Paul making it as the 3LD.

Peterson lacks skill but he absolutely has size and speed/skating ability. He could be another Toropchenko type. Not a needle mover but I could absolutely see him playing some in the NHL and possibly soon too.

Kos looks like a good energy, hustle guy. Hard to get a read on him as he missed a lot of last season but he checks a lot of boxes that make for a good bottom-6 forward.

Kaskimäki led Finland’s Jr league in scoring his draft year and has progressed fairly well since then. He’s likely going to need to adapt his game to a bit more of a grinder role to play in the NHL but he has top notch speed and drives the net so there could be something there.

Stancl is another that doesn’t bring much offense but a lot of attributes that work well in a bottom-6 role. Lots of size and tenacity certainly doesn’t hurt either.

Jecho brings a lot of size, effort and a nice shot. The knock on him are his puck skills and hockey sense. But again, maybe a good bottom-6 option in time.

Koromyslov split time between the KHL, VHL and MHL this past season. He’s being loaned out to Lada Togliatti this season so hopefully he spends the full season in the KHL not being with the league’s best and deepest team anymore. I only saw him in the MHL a handful of times as I was watching Demidov but he’s very solid. At least at that level. Hard to get a read from the Russian Jr league but tbh he probably belongs in the same tier as Fischer, Fischer, Ralph, Burns, etc. I’ll be interested to see if/when he comes over though.

I had basically written off Ellis but he really did well last season. Maybe something finally clicked for him like it did for Binnington? Who knows but I’ll be watching closely on if he can be good in the AHL again and maybe challenge Zherenko for the starters job.

Johannesson is a wildcard. Only seen a little video. He’s a 5’11” d-man but seems talented. I don’t think the Blues would bring him over if all they thought of him was AHL filler but I guess we’ll see what we have in him soon.

Susuyev absolutely has the talent. Not sure how rounded out his game is though and we’ll have to see if he ever comes over.

Vorobyov is also clearly talented but I wasn’t as impressed with his play a year ago as I was with Susuyev this time around as his defensive effort was non-existent. But again, another wildcard that clearly has talent.

Robertsson is one I’m not super high on but he’s solid all-around so if he can reinvent his game and go from the scorer/finisher he was in Jrs and be more of an energy/support guy, maybe he could make it.

Lööf is one I’ve never really been high on as he doesn’t really have any separating skills and while I like that he’s physical, he takes himself out of position to deliver a hit way too often. But still, he’s shown he’s at least AHL caliber so this will be a big season for him.

Mrsic is clearly very talented. His game is just devoid in almost all other areas though. But he still has 2 years of Jrs left so if he can make some strides to round out his game then he could be a late round steal.

Mayich is one of the best defensive d-men in the WHL.

McIsaac is said to be similar. Maybe one of them surprises?

I’m not a fan of Gaudet’s gaps and general defensive play and don’t see his offensive skill being enough to take him to the NHL but maybe he can at least earn a spot in the AHL this season.

Dickinson’s game was unfortunately probably detailed with the broker femur and all the lost time by them having to go back in and redo the surgery because it wasn’t healing right. But he did earn a promotion to the AHL at the end of last season so who knows.

Korotky…I honestly don’t know much about. He also played on the same team as Demidov and Koromyslov so clearly I saw him play but I don’t recall him really sticking out. But the stats are at least decent.

Those are the guys I see with at least a shot of playing in the NHL. The rest…I don’t really see much of any NHL future…but there’s always surprises. Malmstrom, Skinner, Laferriere, Abramov, Dorian, Biakabutuka and Cranley.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I’m really curious what kind of step Malmstrom makes this year. Every camp and every game I watched he played in, there are always a couple plays made where I have to rewind and see who made that play or something catches my eye like his skating. He could have a break out season if he could stay healthy. It’s a long shot, but he has looked good in previous camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad