• Ivan Vorobyov

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Sticking with Buchinger. Still think there’s big time puck moving/ PPQB potential there.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It's Buch then I feel like the next bunch is another tier, much like the guys after the first 6.

ToastedRavioli

Jun 29, 2023
The Susuyev hype from a contingent of this forum is nuts. There isn't a single GM out there that would trade a 2nd rounder for Susuyev. He isn't even close to as valuable of a prospect as a recent 2nd rounder like Ralph. Susuyev should not seriously be in this conversation for probably at least 5 more spots. Getting multiple votes to be ranked the seventh best prospect over guys like Dean and Pekarcik is what convinced me that the Susuyev hype on this forum has gotten so unbelievably out of control and detached from realistic expectations. People will justify it by saying that they value higher ceiling potential over safer prospects but they simply overestimate Susuyev's ceiling and his chances at reaching that ceiling.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
We have a handful of d-men all about the same level IMO. Different strengths and weaknesses but lots of these guys could be the next Kessel and be a 2nd to 3rd pairing d-man in time.

For this poll, it’s between Ralph, Buchinger and Burns for me. I’ll give the edge to Ralph for now. I may have to make the drive to St. Cloud this year to see him play a time or two.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The Susuyev hype from a contingent of this forum is nuts. There isn't a single GM out there that would trade a 2nd rounder for Susuyev. He isn't even close to as valuable of a prospect as a recent 2nd rounder like Ralph. Susuyev should not seriously be in this conversation for probably at least 5 more spots. Getting multiple votes to be ranked the seventh best prospect over guys like Dean and Pekarcik is what convinced me that the Susuyev hype on this forum has gotten so unbelievably out of control and detached from realistic expectations. People will justify it by saying that they value higher ceiling potential over safer prospects but they simply overestimate Susuyev's ceiling and his chances at reaching that ceiling.
Yeah I don't really get the fascination with Susuyev either. Not sure he’d make my top 20 prospects list, but oh well.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Stancl here. Being overseas it is hard to follow, but I thought he played pretty well in the WJC last year.

Buch is a pretty solid pick also and Fischer had a great year in college. I think you can make solid argument for any of those guys.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think we sometimes get swayed by toolsy prospects who stand out in prospect camp and online videos. Guys like Kaskimaki are less flashy but far more likely to be good nhl player than Susyev. Ralph with his size and tools is far better prospect at this point than Buchinger, who is skilled but not do much that he is likely to be 1pp guy; reality is he is smallish d who struggles to defend and didn’t make the type of progress this year that you would expect to see if he was going to be quality nhl player. This isn’t to say guy like susyev or buch2 can’t be good nhl player, but it’s rather unlikely. Skill is great, but without more you are Peter sejna. Ralph, Burns, Fischer, Kask, Stancl, Kos and other less flashy guys are the best prospects still left on board in my eyes.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Buchinger for me. Outside of Dvorsky, I've seen more of Buchinger than any other Blues prospect. He's going to be an NHLer. The question is whether or not he'll be able to stick when he gets his shot. Ralph could definitely surpass him but there's simply not enough to look at to give me the confidence he'll reach that level. I expect that to change in the next couple of seasons. I considered Kos as well because I see a player that could be a strong, long-term bottom-6 support piece but I don't see a very high ceiling there.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I went with my realistic option for this one given the rest of the prospects. In general, I like most of our prospects here and think they have unique tools, but out of the bunch I think Buchinger is probably better overall than the rest. The Russian kids all have interesting parts to their game, but the question is going to be can they do it on the smaller ice and play a game that works in the NHL. Stancl is a question mark, Burns and P Fischer are hard to project. MAG I think has a chance to be another Kessel, Loof needs to play a lot and prove he can defend in the AHL. Kaskimaki, Jecho, Kos, Robertsson, and Mrsic all have traits I like in a player, but they will have to fight their way to the NHL a la Toropchenko. Peterson is a body *shrug*

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Going with Kos.

His skating and balance are enough to warrant an NHL spot in the future. I liked him more than what I saw out of Stancl. He’s a bottom-6 fixture to be sure. But I see Upshall qualities in his game that should translate to higher levels.

Reactions: Reality Czech

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Went with Ralph.

Being 6'4, 226 lbs and a strong skater means we should be looking at a decent floor pick as a 3rd pair thumper at minimum with the chance to potentially develop into more. I think he could rise similar to how Parayko did and wouldn't it be nice to get another big body like that back on defense.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Buchinger for me. Outside of Dvorsky, I've seen more of Buchinger than any other Blues prospect. He's going to be an NHLer. The question is whether or not he'll be able to stick when he gets his shot. Ralph could definitely surpass him but there's simply not enough to look at to give me the confidence he'll reach that level. I expect that to change in the next couple of seasons. I considered Kos as well because I see a player that could be a strong, long-term bottom-6 support piece but I don't see a very high ceiling there.

As someone who hasn't seen Buchinger, how would you compare him to Perunovich? Seems like they are similar players in terms of style but can you or anyone else compare the two?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
As someone who hasn't seen Buchinger, how would you compare him to Perunovich? Seems like they are similar players in terms of style but can you or anyone else compare the two?
Peru is smaller but much, much more skilled. Honestly, if Buchinger plays as many nhl games in his career as peru has to date, that would be a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I wish we had more insight on Ralph. Super interesting prospect, but he's also super young, playing in High School with limited availability of viewings. You don't find a 6'5 Defenseman that can skate fairly well at a young age like that often though. Can't tell if he's a floor or a ceiling pick.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it’s a little disingenuous to say Ralph just played HS hockey. Shattuck is pretty universally considered the best prep program in the nation and likely including Canada as well. They don’t play in the normal MN HS league (which is the best HS league in the world) because they’d demolish it. They play in the MN Elite league which is basically SSM and then regional all-star teams made up of the best of the best HSers (basically the ones good enough to go on and play D1 college hockey). And then they also play in a league comprised of the best prep schools in N.A. And SSM routinely does very well in both leagues. And Ralph was their best player this past season.

600ish kids try to get accepted to SSM’s hockey program each year and a very select few actually make it. Ralph isn’t just some HS kid that happens to be big and skates well.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think it’s a little disingenuous to say Ralph just played HS hockey. Shattuck is pretty universally considered the best prep program in the nation and likely including Canada as well. They don’t play in the normal MN HS league (which is the best HS league in the world) because they’d demolish it. They play in the MN Elite league which is basically SSM and then regional all-star teams made up of the best of the best HSers (basically the ones good enough to go on and play D1 college hockey). And then they also play in a league comprised of the best prep schools in N.A. And SSM routinely does very well in both leagues. And Ralph was their best player this past season.

600ish kids try to get accepted to SSM’s hockey program each year and a very select few actually make it. Ralph isn’t just some HS kid that happens to be big and skates well.

I didn't mean that to be a knock on his playing level. I meant it moreso due to lack of availability of being able to view the games for the fan who isn't really dedicated to the draft or located in an area where the MN elite league is available.

College is pretty well exposed as well as major Canadian junior. Am I wrong to believe the exposure isn't there as much? I tried searching for Ralph in terms of viewing his play and the only thing that really came up was watching one game of shift to shift for him on youtube.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I didn't mean that to be a knock on his playing level. I meant it moreso due to lack of availability of being able to view the games for the fan who isn't really dedicated to the draft or located in an area where the MN elite league is available.

College is pretty well exposed as well as major Canadian junior. Am I wrong to believe the exposure isn't there as much? I tried searching for Ralph in terms of viewing his play and the only thing that really came up was watching one game of shift to shift for him on youtube.
Yes, that’s definitely true. At least for us. Not necessarily true for pro scouts though. I’m sure Shattuck games are available via flohockey or one of the other sports streaming services but not like many of us are dedicated enough to watch random SSM prep games.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Yes, that’s definitely true. At least for us. Not necessarily true for pro scouts though. I’m sure Shattuck games are available via flohockey or one of the other sports streaming services but not like many of us are dedicated enough to watch random SSM prep games.

Personally, I feel like it makes it hard on a consensus based ranking like this among fans to really see where we think he’d level in. I personally have higher hopes for him than about 3-4 guys currently ahead on the list. But I’ll admit it’s pretty blind hope based on frame, program he’s currently in and the limited reports/viewings I’ve been able to digest.

It makes it really hard for me internally to judge whether a guy like Ralph is an upside or a floor guy. Very likely could be a mix of both.

The only exposure a lot of us have had is from the dev camp, and rightfully everyone is in much different positions during a dev camp like that. For Ralph and Fischer it has to be a whirlwind so soon after the draft. For a guy like Dvorsky it’s the start of life or death trying to make the team

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Personally, I feel like it makes it hard on a consensus based ranking like this among fans to really see where we think he’d level in. I personally have higher hopes for him than about 3-4 guys currently ahead on the list. But I’ll admit it’s pretty blind hope based on frame, program he’s currently in and the limited reports/viewings I’ve been able to digest.

It makes it really hard for me internally to judge whether a guy like Ralph is an upside or a floor guy. Very likely could be a mix of both.

The only exposure a lot of us have had is from the dev camp, and rightfully everyone is in much different positions during a dev camp like that. For Ralph and Fischer it has to be a whirlwind so soon after the draft. For a guy like Dvorsky it’s the start of life or death trying to make the team
Right, but we fall for it every year. So many folks here just vote for guys whose skills flash at these camps that have virtually no chance to be impact NHLers. Like virtually EVERY young defenseman with size and skill of level of Buchinger today fizzles out between draft and NHL. Seriously, look at all of the D his side that don't have ELITE skills, they ALL bust. Fans fall in love with them, scouts talk them up, and then they have no viable role in NHL. He has virtually no chance to be top 4D. Maybe best case he can be like Calle Rosen where he can play occasional games as a fillin, but that feels way optimistic. Guy like Ralph or Fischer can fall well short of expectations and still be useful player.

Same with guys like Kaskimaki and Kos. Susuyev? Notsomuch. Tools but no toolbox, never produced in league he's in. It's far, far more likely that he never plays in NA than he becomes a top 6 NHL guy. When folks look at "upside" in terms of development camp skill, they are doing themselves a real disservice. This voting is fun, but the resulting lists after the top few guys are quite frankly a mess.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Right, but we fall for it every year. So many folks here just vote for guys whose skills flash at these camps that have virtually no chance to be impact NHLers. Like virtually EVERY young defenseman with size and skill of level of Buchinger today fizzles out between draft and NHL. Seriously, look at all of the D his side that don't have ELITE skills, they ALL bust. Fans fall in love with them, scouts talk them up, and then they have no viable role in NHL. He has virtually no chance to be top 4D. Maybe best case he can be like Calle Rosen where he can play occasional games as a fillin, but that feels way optimistic. Guy like Ralph or Fischer can fall well short of expectations and still be useful player.

Same with guys like Kaskimaki and Kos. Susuyev? Notsomuch. Tools but no toolbox, never produced in league he's in. It's far, far more likely that he never plays in NA than he becomes a top 6 NHL guy. When folks look at "upside" in terms of development camp skill, they are doing themselves a real disservice. This voting is fun, but the resulting lists after the top few guys are quite frankly a mess.

Eh it's the off-season, what else are we gonna talk about. It makes for good banter and I like hearing perspectives on prospects that I don't know much about.

Reactions: BrokenFace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad