GDT: 2024 Blues Draft Day Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Is that why Logan Stanley and Logan Brown are good? oh. wait. Judging whether someone will be good or not just because they are tall is Silly. I want them to be good, and their height will be an asset, but there is way more that goes into being a good NHL player.
Big guy who can skate and do nothing else is my least favorite player type. I hate seeing those guys out there because they're blocking smaller skilled guys who can actually play the game. Size is just not that much of an advantage anymore. Most of the top Dmen in the league are 6'1 or shorter(Makar, Fox, Hughes, Josi etc.) They play defense by constantly keeping the puck in the offensive zone and creating chances, which is far more effective than just slamming guys into the boards and scrambling around in your own zone like Mikkola.

Reactions: joe galiba

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
For our resident actuaries, I think maybe Armstrong is mis-using the term here...I'll take your word for it. But the point he's making is still pertinent. They're using projections of how many NHL games played and how far into the future these drafted players are likely to be NHL players. That's what I take away from those comments. He's talking about building a team with projecting into the future when the young players will contribute, and the value of a particular draft pick.

(That conversation makes paying a 2nd to part with Hayes more maddening, but it also speaks to how much they wanted to part with Hayes.)

I don't think Armstrong is the one misusing the term.

Actuaries analyze the financial costs of risk and uncertainty. They use mathematics, statistics, and financial theory to assess the risk of potential events, and they help businesses and clients develop policies that minimize the cost of that risk

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Big guy who can skate and do nothing else is my least favorite player type. I hate seeing those guys out there because they're blocking smaller skilled guys who can actually play the game. Size is just not that much of an advantage anymore. Most of the top Dmen in the league are 6'1 or shorter(Makar, Fox, Hughes, Josi etc.) They play defense by constantly keeping the puck in the offensive zone and creating chances, which is far more effective than just slamming guys into the boards and scrambling around in your own zone like Mikkola.
I do think we will start seeing more big guys that are genuine athletes and really good skaters. In an ideal world one of the guys we took in the 2nd develops into a Brandon Carlo type. It would be great if they exceed that, but if we can get a 2nd pair quality guy that can handle defensive minutes, we're golden.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Speaking of analysis. Should’ve have a best and worst of the mockers figured out in the next day or so.

If we’re doing it future-wise, could you please make sure you have my picks compared to who we got as future comparables to see just how right/wrong I am, and how much crow needs to be eaten. (As a note, my picks are left, Blues are on the right.)

Michael Hage / David Jiricek
Leo Sahlin Wallenius / Colin Ralph
John Mustard / Lukas Fischer
Luca Marrelli / Ondrej Kos
Adam Jecho / Adam Jecho (Yeah, no issues with this pick.)
Aron Kiviharju / Tomas Mrsic
Luke Misa / William McIsaac
Miroslav Satan Jr. / Antoine Dorion
Matvei Korotky / Matvei Korotky (No issues with this pick either.)

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Tale of the Mock draft tape.....
Most correct picks based on the 1st round - 3 way tie with 7 Pronman (6-4) Peters, Kimmelman

Most correct picks within 3 picks 1st round 2 tie between Pronman (6-4) our own stl fan from Minn

Most correct picks within 5 picks 1st round Peters with 24

Highest success rate correct is 3 pts, within 3 is 2 pts, and within 5 is 1 pt
Pronman 6-4 mock 46 points
Peters and our own Stl fan from Minn with 45 points
Wheeler 42 points
Kimmelman, Bukala, Pronman (7 round) and Pronman (5-14) with 40 points

Who had the worst score?
Scouch 25 points
McKeens 27 points
Horn 5-29 mock 30 points
Reimers and draft analyst 31 points
FC and Pron Wheel Bultman 32 points

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Tale of the Mock draft tape.....
Most correct picks based on the 1st round - 3 way tie with 7 Pronman (6-4) Peters, Kimmelman

Most correct picks within 3 picks 1st round 2 tie between Pronman (6-4) our own stl fan from Minn

Most correct picks within 5 picks 1st round Peters with 24

Highest success rate correct is 3 pts, within 3 is 2 pts, and within 5 is 1 pt
Pronman 6-4 mock 46 points
Peters and our own Stl fan from Minn with 45 points
Wheeler 42 points
Kimmelman, Bukala, Pronman (7 round) and Pronman (5-14) with 40 points

Who had the worst score?
Scouch 25 points
McKeens 27 points
Horn 5-29 mock 30 points
Reimers and draft analyst 31 points
FC and Pron Wheel Bultman 32 points
Hahahaha! Now that’s funny. Who’s hiring? :laugh:

Maybe if I had done 20 mocks over the last month like Pronman one or mine would’ve beat his lol.

Interesting to see McKeens with such a low score. Brock and his staff are usually pretty spot on. But I think some get too swayed with what they’d do in those positions and their mock is much closer to their personal ranking than it should be.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
After letting it digest a bit, I’m feeling a little more ok than I was Friday night. Here’s my thoughts on the draft:

16. Jiricek - I’ve warmed up to the pick a bit as he absolutely fills a need and has high potential. But he’s a risky pick given the injury and lost development time. I think my disappointment stemmed from two things mainly. For one, the first 15 picks were my top 15. Not in the same order but when it was the Blues turn to pick, none of the players I REALLY wanted were still available. Picks 12-15 were just especially a kick in the nuts. Secondly, Buium seemed within reach and we didn’t get it done. Maybe Jiricek ends up better or at least a better fit being a righty but man, I really liked Buium. I’d like to know what Briere’s ask was but we’ll likely never know. Hopefully Jiricek is ready to go by camp. I’ll be interested to see if he stays in Czechia or goes elsewhere.

48. Ralph - I figured Ralph would go in the 2nd as he was a riser and a D with size but I didn’t expect it to be us, at least not with our first 2nd. I didn’t research Jiricek a ton as well, I couldn’t as he didn’t play much and Ralph was also a bit of a blind spot as well. I watched so many prospects but obviously can’t catch them all and Shattuck games aren’t exactly easily assessable. Of course the Blues first 2 picks are 2 of the guys I watched the least. :facepalm: I know a guy that follows Shattuck closely so once I run into him I’ll have to see what he thinks of Ralph. My initial guy feeing is it was a bit of a reach and Artamonov and Eriksson were right there!

56. Fischer - I liked this pick as I liked Fischer. Thought he was underrated. Fills a need. Only grumble, and it’s a petty one, is that we now have to differentiate which lefty d-man Fischer we’re talking about - Paul or Lukas. ;)

The Kos pick surprised me. Liked the Jecho pick. Was surprised they had Kos higher. Mrsic seems like a good gamble. McIsaac pick seemed fine. I’d never heard of Dorian. I do t see the appeal with him but that’s admittedly stat watching at this point. I recall Korotky from Demidov’s playoff games I watched. A solid 7th round stab.

All in all it was fine. Not elated but it was fine. Hopefully the Blues are right about Jiricek.

I liked Memento’s idea so here’s who I would’ve taken using my board. () is who was next on my list.

16. Solberg (Surin)
48. Artamonov (Eriksson)
56. Eriksson (Fischer)
81. Shuravin (Wetsch)
95. He (Roberts)
113. Roberts (Misa)
145. Misa (Hynninen)
209. Hynninen (Ustinkov)
211. Ustinkov (Ruohonen)

I was surprised Hynninen and Ustinkov went undrafted.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Seems like the Blues see something in terms of players coming out of Eastern Europe in recent years (not including Russia).

In the last two drafts, we've taken two Slovakians and four Czechs, that's a third of our picks.

Dvorsky, Pekarcik
Stancl, Jiricek, Kos, Jecho

To give you an idea, in the 11 drafts before 2023 we took just one player from Eastern Europe, Philip Helt (CZE) in 2016. Before that you have to go back to Jaskin (CZE) in 2011.

Found that interesting and thought I'd share.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Seems like the Blues see something in terms of players coming out of Eastern Europe in recent years (not including Russia).

In the last two drafts, we've taken two Slovakians and four Czechs, that's a third of our picks.

Dvorsky, Pekarcik
Stancl, Jiricek, Kos, Jecho

To give you an idea, in the 11 drafts before 2023 we took just one player from Eastern Europe, Philip Helt (CZE) in 2016. Before that you have to go back to Jaskin (CZE) in 2011.

Found that interesting and thought I'd share.
I have wondered about waves like this example. Is it because there are just good waves of players coming from there? Or did we add a scout over there, so we now have coverage we didn’t before?

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I have wondered about waves like this example. Is it because there are just good waves of players coming from there? Or did we add a scout over there, so we now have coverage we didn’t before?

It's possible we couldn't do any Russian scouting the last few years and rotated someone to eastern europe instead. No actual idea though.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It's possible we couldn't do any Russian scouting the last few years and rotated someone to eastern europe instead. No actual idea though.
Jan Vopat is our head European scout and has been for a decade. He is brother of Roman, the former Blue. He is presumably well plugged in back in his homeland and this year was thought to be strong Czech year and last year was particularly strong Slovak year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad