Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
might be better to burn a year.

rather sign him after a 40 point season in 2 years than a 60 point season in year 3.
I think his agent already has a lot of options in mind - and restricting his play to get him to 40 points isn't going to change the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs he's seeing right now and will continue to see

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I think there's 0% chance he stays for the entire season. The team probably know him better in terms of personality to determine if playing 9 games is a good or bad thing. Let's get real though, if 9 games is going to make or break your career you were probably never going to make it. You could have given McDavid 20 games at 15 and he'd still dominate at 22.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think there are definitely worse players who play in the nhl. And what’s that prove? Those players go out on the ice and are shit.

We agree that yakemchuk is at least better than some nhl d men currently. I wouldn’t want those players on my team.

Also has to do with confidence. I don’t want him getting caved in.
What that proves is what an NHL player looks like is not what you seem to think. 32 teams need 20-23 players, that what an NHL player looks like whether you want to admit it or not.

As to what's best for his development, that's a different question, I think giving him a taste and sending him down is the way to go, I would hope we wouldn't keep him up regardless of whether he's one of the best ~576 to 670 hockey players, I just think acting like the bottom 15% of NHL players somehow aren't NHL caliber players is a touch absurd. These guys are NHL players and teams have 3 of them each on average.

Reactions: Cosmix

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think there's 0% chance he stays for the entire season. The team probably know him better in terms of personality to determine if playing 9 games is a good or bad thing. Let's get real though, if 9 games is going to make or break your career you were probably never going to make it. You could have given McDavid 20 games at 15 and he'd still dominate at 22.

It may also have to do with the rest of the defensive corps.

If we have an injury or two on the backline, it may make keeping him for those 9 games easier.

If everyone is healthy, I'd probably still put my money on him not playing a regular season game.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If we have an injury or two on the backline, it may make keeping him for those 9 games easier.

If everyone is healthy, I'd probably still put my money on him not playing a regular season game.
I'd like to see him get a game or two, but I tend to agree if we have 7 healthy D, the value added having him push both JBD and Hamonic out probably isn't worth it, so they'll likely send him down with a "great job", and pat on the back.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think Yak has played well enough without being a defensive liability to have earned some NHL reg season games regardless whether we have injured D'men. I think it would be good for him to get a taste of reg season action and provide him with a sense of where he stands skill-wise versus playing against men and the best players in the world. Good for his development. BUT I think he should eventually head back to Junior unless he shines bright for his 9 or less games.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Still very early but a couple of Sens posters who are big mouth self proclaimed “draft gurus” looking pretty bad right now with their takes on Carter.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Yak has played well enough without being a defensive liability to have earned some NHL reg season games regardless whether we have injured D'men. I think it would be good for him to get a taste of reg season action and provide him with a sense of where he stands skill-wise versus playing against men and the best players in the world. Good for his development. BUT I think he should eventually head back to Junior unless he shines bright for his 9 or less games.

I'm glad he's actually making it a bit of a discussion.

Realistically, the idea of a defenceman who just turned 19 becoming a full NHL regular is almost an absurdity. Even Sanderson was 20.

I think we all want to see him play more, because he's been legitimately one of Ottawa's more important players, but I expect the coach to turn back into a pumpkin before too long when cooler heads put him where he belongs among players closer to his own age.

Then again, I was against bringing Karlsson back up when they did (burning a year in the process), and he stayed for the rest of his career.

So I don't really have a clue I guess.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Still very early but a couple of Sens posters who are big mouth self proclaimed “draft gurus” looking pretty bad right now with their takes on Carter.
Ya they were a little over the top, definitely some crow to eat.

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- has Yakemchuk silenced the draft critics yet? He will likely be returned to junior, they have JBD & Hamonic who both have plenty of NHL experience & a couple of options in Belleville & one way contracts. Would still be nice to give him an NHL game or two for having such a good training camp.

- while the TV crew missed completely the ref get in the way of the Yak pass, they blamed him for a give away which turned out not to be true.

- Ott should have kept Kastelic, he would have been in the middle of it last night while Janik was invisible. Maybe they should have kept Imama as well. Oh btw, there is no more fighting in hockey., I've hardly seen any this preseason.

- as I've said before most teams are getting bigger & tougher & Hughes has done a good job in Montreal drafting & bringing in bigger & tougher players. Funny how quickly things turn as soon as someone takes a cheap shot on star players. Montreal could have two Xhekajs in their lineup someday.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Realistically, the idea of a defenceman who just turned 19 becoming a full NHL regular is almost an absurdity. Even Sanderson was 20.

I think we all want to see him play more, because he's been legitimately one of Ottawa's more important players, but I expect the coach to turn back into a pumpkin before too long when cooler heads put him where he belongs among players closer to his own age.

Then again, I was against bringing Karlsson back up when they did (burning a year in the process), and he stayed for the rest of his career.

You are too hard on yourself; I think you have at least one clue! :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

To be fair, Sanderson likely would have challenged for a spot at 19, he just didn't want to lose his NCAA eligibility due to unfinished business.

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Very early is an understatement.

He's looking fantastic and I would love to be proven wrong about my criticism of the selection, but we'll need to wait a bit longer to see if he was the right pick at 7 than 3 pre-season games :laugh:

Your comment about people who didn't like the pick having "big mouths" and being pseudo draft gurus is just lame. People should express their opinions about moves the team makes whether they are positive or negative, as long as they are being honest and somewhat realistic. Trying to gatekeep discussion and create an echo chamber of positivity isn't helpful or valuable.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I have seen a lot of clappers from the point over the last 30 years in Ottawa. Maybe I can’t recall a lot of the earlier “glory days”, but I’m pretty f***ing sure I have not seen a puck go in and out that fast.

Holy shit. That’s two goals this year where I am yelling in my living room, and it is preseason. I can’t recall ever doing that in preseason. Maybe Pinto’s OT winner in preseason a few years back, or Greig’s goal .

At the stage he is going to make it impossible to not give him the 9 games

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Very early is an understatement.

He's looking fantastic and I would love to be proven wrong about my criticism of the selection, but we'll need to wait a bit longer to see if he was the right pick at 7 than 3 pre-season games :laugh:

Your comment about people who didn't like the pick having "big mouths" and being pseudo draft gurus is just lame. People should express their opinions about moves the team makes whether they are positive or negative, as long as they are being honest and somewhat realistic. Trying to gatekeep discussion and create an echo chamber of positivity isn't helpful or valuable.

Yes it is early I’ve already admitted that .

But there are a definitely a couple of posters who have a large voice when it comes to prospects who usually think they are smarter than everyone else when it comes to the draft around here and write with an air of arrogance when doing so.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Stop attacking people in every post. You're acting like you're so much smarter but believe me, you're not the smartest peanut in the turd. It's not just me and Saurus, you've been doing that to Hale, Alfsiversson and several others.

And for the Zub comment, what can I do if you can't even decipher such an easy sentence? You literally can't figure out what "maybe + will" means
Your post came off as “Jensen might be as good as Zub will be at 34”.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

But there are a definitely a couple of posters who have a large voice when it comes to prospects who usually think they are smarter than everyone else when it comes to the draft around here .

I can't speak for other posters, but I'm definitely someone who watches a lot of the draft eligible prospects each year. Probably more-so than most posters on HFSens.

I watched Yakemchuk over a dozen times last year. Couple times in-person but mostly via streams. Feel like that gave me a pretty good idea of the kind of game he plays and a reasonable confidence in projecting him to the next level.

Reasonable people can disagree regarding a prospects projection at the NHL level without thinking they are smarter than one another.

Heck Yakemchuk was one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft among actual NHL scouts. Some had him top 5 and others had him outside of the top 15. Personally I had him around 13-14 on my personal list and projected him more as a 2nd pairing guy, which I may end up looking silly over if he keeps up his stellar play, as he's clearly looked like a potential stud so far through 3 games.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens need to get off to a good start this yr which makes me wonder if they can afford to give Yak, a rookie 9 games. He may get a game or two as a reward for having a good camp, but it's more likely he is sent back soon so Green can get his roster set asap to assure a strong start to the season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Sens need to get off to a good start this yr which makes me wonder if they can afford to give Yak, a rookie 9 games. He may get a game or two as a reward for having a good camp, but it's more likely he is sent back soon so Green can get his roster set asap to assure a strong start to the season.

The way Ottawa has played in the last few games, what's funny is whether they can afford not to give Yak 9 games if they want a good start.

But there are a definitely a couple of posters who have a large voice when it comes to prospects who usually think they are smarter than everyone else when it comes to the draft around here and write with an air of arrogance when doing so.

Do you still rank them like this:

1. Buium
2. Dickenson
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Yakemchuk
6. Parekh

Reactions: Icelevel

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

The Sens did want Sanderson to leave college a year earlier, he would have likely still stepped in rather seamlessly and would have only been a few months older than Yak.

Remember wondering if Brady was going to make the team the year he was drafted?

But lets see how he plays the rest of the preseason even though its exciting to think of him on this team because of his potential and how the roster could use a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad