Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There were 12 guys for 10 slots. We'll of course never know for sure, but I think Yakemchuk definitely could have fallen outside the top 10 if the board fell a different way. It happened to Noah Dobson, another big, PPG RHD, after all.
RHD are valued more now and Yakemchuk has a physical aspect to his game and scored more goals. I dont think it happens under any circumstance. There was a top 12 but his skillset is so unique he wouldnt have been on the bottom. He didnt have a russian factor etc.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
What I don't understand is why anyone that actually watched the player. Saw the stat line, looked at his position and physical appearance then didn't like the prospect or thought he wouldnt be a top 10 pick. Didn't make any sense. Was such a strange phenomenon to me. I told everyone pre draft he was going top 10. Was told I was wrong by many posters on this board. Then voila, here we are. His physical package is so unique to have his level of skill. Not many 6'3 18 year Olds are physically mature. It takes time, he is gonna get there though. When he does oh man.
I agree with you, Bert; snagging Yak at 7 could be a great move for the Sens. While some fans believe they know better than the scouts, I tend to trust the professionals. After all, it's their job to evaluate and rank prospects, aiming to make the optimal selection for the franchise. Who are we to question their decisions? What insights do we have that they lack? Sure, they might occasionally miss the mark—drafting 18-year-old kids is inherently risky and far from an exact science.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree with you, Bert; snagging Yak at 7 could be a great move for the Sens. While some fans believe they know better than the scouts, I tend to trust the professionals. After all, it's their job to evaluate and rank prospects, aiming to make the optimal selection for the franchise. Who are we to question their decisions? What insights do we have that they lack? Sure, they might occasionally miss the mark—drafting 18-year-old kids is inherently risky and far from an exact science.
Which they took alot of the risk out of it when you look at the player overall. Plays the most valuable position, has tremendous size, had amazing production, plays a physical game. Those basis points are why he was never going to slide too far when other guys have risks. He checks all the boxes.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sanderson was playing full time in year 3. Never played a game in the minors. Was arguably our best D man by Christmas in his rookie year

Development is unique. I don't see this kid taking a long time to be ready. He'll be 20 prior to the start of next year and I won't be surprised to see him in the opening lineup next season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Catton is the only undersized forward that might have gone ahead of him, Heleinious at 5'11 190 might be a bit below average, but not so much that there's any serious concerns about his size. It's the 4 Dmen that went after him who all could have just as easily been ahead of him though. Silayev slid much further than I expected, as did Buium, and I could easily see a team preferring Parekh over Yakemchuk as evidenced by more scouts in Bob's list having Parekh in their top ten than Yakemchuk.

I'm happy with who we got, I just think there were a lot of viable options,
My initial choice was Yakemchuk, then I wavered to a forward, Catton, who I think will be a superstar. I also liked Parekh alot because I wanted someone creative like Karlsson out there. But I was always intrigues by the frame of Yakemchuk and his shot, which we are lacking as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad