Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you're thinking of Wheeler here. Wheeler's bias is definitely towards skilled, and in particular smaller skilled, players. It's why he generally hates what the Sens do.

Pronman is a bit less predictable, I find, but in general I'd say he's more focused on projectable NHL tools, not unlike the Sens.
That's why I said earlier on, he definitely had an offensive skill bias going back, but has changed his approach a bit over the years (likely due to more exposure to pro scouts opinions)

I agree Wheeler is currently more biased towards high end skill than Pronman.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Yak stays for any regular season games this year. If I had to guess he'll go back to Calgary and be traded later this year to a WHL contender.

I think next year Yak likely splits between the AHL and NHL, but I wouldn't be adverse to him going back to the WHL if he has a chance to lead a team to a Memorial Cup.
I hope he gets dealt to Medicine Hat that team is an absolute wagon. Mckenna, Lindstrom, Basha that pp could be a top 5 NHL power play in a few years.

Why dont you think he will? The 3 RD spot is about the most open position on the team with very little quality competition if Zub or Jensen get hurt he will for sure get a shot. I think he is going to get some games in the NHL though but he should absolutely not stay up all year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hope he gets dealt to Medicine Hat that team is an absolute wagon. Mckenna, Lindstrom, Basha that pp could be a top 5 NHL power play in a few years.

Why dont you think he will? The 3 RD spot is about the most open position on the team with very little quality competition if Zub or Jensen get hurt he will for sure get a shot. I think he is going to get some games in the NHL though but he should absolutely not stay up all year.
the only thing that makes me skeptical he'll get a few games is this team needs to get out the gate hot, and they can't afford to test drive guys that aren't going to be here all season. Green seems really impressed with him though so there's a chance, but maybe more like when Formenton stayed up for a while but only got the 1 game. Still lots of value for an 19 year old to put in some practices with pros,

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His skating isn't close to being fully developed yet is more the point. He has lots to work on for sure but I think the way some people described it on here people expected a guy that couldn't move. His first steps and pivot has to and absolutely will get better as he gets stronger but they aren't NHL feet yet. Which I think is what makes him so exciting. Such a unique raw package of skill, size, offensive hockey IQ and talent.
to that point, what i read in the chat when he was drafted and even in the past few weeks, I didn't see a kid that is anywhere close to how some people described his skating. Sure he has work to do but he looks like he's going to be a hell of a player. I read a fair bit about his offence not translating too....not sure i get that either. He looked offensively long before the OT goal

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
to that point, what i read in the chat when he was drafted and even in the past few weeks, I didn't see a kid that is anywhere close to how some people described his skating. Sure he has work to do but he looks like he's going to be a hell of a player.
Peoples description of his skating was typical HF hyperbole, you'd think he needed to push a chair around the ice the way some guys talked about him.

He's got work to do, but I think he'll get there.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
to that point, what i read in the chat when he was drafted and even in the past few weeks, I didn't see a kid that is anywhere close to how some people described his skating. Sure he has work to do but he looks like he's going to be a hell of a player. I read a fair bit about his offence not translating too....not sure i get that either. He looked offensively long before the OT goal
If he is already this effective it speaks volumes to his potential. He anticipates the play really well. Once he fills out, gets stronger and faster he is going to be a beast.

Reactions: Dionysus

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

On HFBoards, if you're over 6'2 and from Canada, you're automatically considered slow and are destined to only be a grinder.

Reactions: Daffy and bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If he is already this effective it speaks volumes to his potential. He anticipates the play really well. Once he fills out, gets stronger and faster he is going to be a beast.
completely agree. He's going to fill out, get stronger. Both upper body and on his skates. He's going to be a very big man. Right shot. Howitzer. Not afraid of the moment - how many dump the puck by Austin Matthews in OT?

I just get a kick out of the hot takes. Can't skate. Offence won't translate. It's funny.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
That's why I said earlier on, he definitely had an offensive skill bias going back, but has changed his approach a bit over the years (likely due to more exposure to pro scouts opinions)

I agree Wheeler is currently more biased towards high end skill than Pronman.
Wheeler is such a whiny donkey. Can't stand him

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You can see how much potential there is watching him. He physical engages but isn't NHL-strong yet. I get he is 200+ pounds, but he is also 6'4" - 200+ pounds at 6'4" isn't much higher than a regular athletic baseline for weight. He could easily add 20 lbs naturally so long as he isn't a Kyle Turris style ectomorph. It's encouraging that he can battle in front of the net already, but seemed to be knocked down a few times when engaging physically on the move.

It seems like the system Travis Green is using has the team and defensemen fairly aggressive in the neutral zone. Early on with other defensemen, it lead to two quick Leafs breaks where the D-pairings got caught flat footed because ultimately we were playing AHLers against top NHL players. (Not Yakemchuk). If this is in fact his system, I can see why he loves Yakemchuk. Yakemchuk seems to have excellent vision in the neutral zone to disrupt plays and create turn overs.

I've only rewatched most of the first period. I generally pick up on nothing when I watch live. While he is jumping up into the play, he doesn't seem to be getting caught.

Reactions: bicboi64

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
His skating isn't pretty, and the Leafs were slow last night and just going through the motions, so it's really hard to judge the kid on one preseason game.

But it is encouraging to see that he will carry the puck and try to make plays (and succeed) in his first game. That's what you want. a kid with some confidence who also played smart defensively and kept the game pretty simple in his own end. That shows some good hockey IQ...which is something we desperately need.

But we also don't want to throw him into the deep end of the pool. Confidence and taking things one step at a time and letting the kid develop is important. He's still a good 3 years away from full time NHL duty, so let's not rush things here.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
His skating isn't pretty, and the Leafs were slow last night and just going through the motions, so it's really hard to judge the kid on one preseason game.

But it is encouraging to see that he will carry the puck and try to make plays (and succeed) in his first game. That's what you want. a kid with some confidence who also played smart defensively and kept the game pretty simple in his own end. That shows some good hockey IQ...which is something we desperately need.

But we also don't want to throw him into the deep end of the pool. Confidence and taking things one step at a time and letting the kid develop is important. He's still a good 3 years away from full time NHL duty, so let's not rush things here.
2 years, tops.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I love the confidence Yak showed last night, but AM34 and Marner have the most puck steals in the league in the last few years.

Unless Yak becomes a one of a kind dangling defender, odds are that move doesn't work and you have to make the safer play, but bloody hell was it fun to see.

May we get more of those with Yak either taking advantage of a situation where there's lesser competition on the ice or he actually becomes a dangling demon.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

a good 3 years away? I don't agree with that. I won't be surprised to see him play in the NHL full time next year. Kid turns 19 on September 29 so if he plays full time NHL next year, he's playing as a 20 year old. That's not uncommon at all for high draft picks. And having the size really helps in that regard.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
a good 3 years away? I don't agree with that. I won't be surprised to see him play in the NHL full time next year. Kid turns 19 on September 29 so if he plays full time NHL next year, he's playing as a 20 year old. That's not uncommon at all for high draft picks. And having the size really helps in that regard.
I think he'll get at least some AHL time, it's a big jump to go from the WHL direct to NHL, but him becoming a regular at some point next season is certainly plausible.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think he'll get at least some AHL time, it's a big jump to go from the WHL direct to NHL, but him becoming a regular at some point next season is certainly plausible.
maybe there's an AHL stint and he's up by the 2nd half. I just don't see 3 years development needed. Huge kid. Good wheels for his size. Offensive instinct. Right shot.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think he'll become a regular by the time Jensen's current deal is up and he'll get 30-40 games next season if he keeps progressing in his development.

Sandy and Chabot were with the big club 2 years after being drafted so I wouldn't be surprised if Yak followed that trajectory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad