Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Canadian mini stu
Instead of a potential Shea Weber. I'm still waiting for everyone that hates this pick so much to show me all the other 6'3 205 pound physical right handed d men that lead the WHL in goals on D that don't go top 10.

Unicorn type skillset for a defenseman. For all the people that don't like the pick what is it that you don't like about the player?

But yeah let's get another small skill left handed forward. Easiest asset to aquire in hockey.

Meanwhile team picks a mean heavy, skilled RHD the hardest position to fill in hockey.

I said this before the draft these types of players don't get picked in the teens.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess but it feels like everyone outside of the Sens Org(and Pronman, lol) is critical of Yakemchuk's skating.
When you watch him the only thing he needs to really work on is his first step pushing off when pivoting the rest is good for a guy his size at 18. Edgework is great, strong stride just needs to work ok some mobility which will come. He has a powerful stride.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Unicorn skillset, but also high risk. He has a very long developmental road ahead of him, and he could stall out at any point.

If he hits his ceiling, it's one hell of a pick. If he doesn't.....

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Unicorn skillset, but also high risk. He has a very long developmental road ahead of him, and he could stall out at any point.

One thing is we really can't afford to miss out on this pick...

I mean, how the hell could a rebuild be successful after missing out on 4 consecutive high first round picks? (10th OA, 7th OA, 12th OA, 7th OA)

It's already in jeopardy as of now with the hope that Yakemchuk turns into a good Top-4 RHD

If he doesn't work, we're in big trouble regarding the RD position. Zub turns 29 in October and has 3 seasons left on his contract.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
When you watch him the only thing he needs to really work on is his first step pushing off when pivoting the rest is good for a guy his size at 18. Edgework is great, strong stride just needs to work ok some mobility which will come. He has a powerful stride.
I'm not shitting on the pick but his edgework is very far from great. He is powerful but his skating needs work overall.

Went to 5 Hitmen games this year and he took 3 penalties from being beat to the dots off the boards in his own zone.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One thing is we really can't afford to miss out on this pick...

I mean, how the hell could a rebuild be successful after missing out on 4 consecutive high first round picks? (10th OA, 7th OA, 12th OA, 7th OA)

It's already in jeopardy as of now with the hope that Yakemchuk turns into a good Top-4 RHD

If he doesn't work, we're in big trouble regarding the RD position. Zub turns 29 in October and has 3 seasons left on his contract.
Don’t forget to mention, some of those turned into Jensen and Ullmark, and drafting Yak doesn’t mean missing out.

Just adding some perspective.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

This seems to be the consensus about Yak is that he is going to need a long time to develop and that he is "raw".
I know it is very early to really say right now but how long do we think it will take to for this player to get to the NHL?

The way I see it is he will go back to Calgary (WHL) for another year (24-25) then turn pro and then a full year (25-26) in Belleville (AHL) and then probably starts the next season (26-27) in Belleville and then maybe gets called up at some point that season, so a split AHL/NHL season in 26-27 and then goes full time NHL in 27-28. This would be a similar type of development path as Kleven, who also had the same type of language ("raw, needs time") when he was drafted in 2020.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm not shitting on the pick but his edgework is very far from great. He is powerful but his skating needs work overall.

Went to 5 Hitmen games this year and he took 3 penalties from being beat to the dots off the boards in his own zone.
Great memory. what were the things he did well in those games.

This seems to be the consensus about Yak is that he is going to need a long time to develop and that he is "raw".
I know it is very early to really say right now but how long do we think it will take to for this player to get to the NHL?

The way I see it is he will go back to Calgary (WHL) for another year (24-25) then turn pro and then a full year (25-26) in Belleville (AHL) and then probably starts the next season (26-27) in Belleville and then maybe gets called up at some point that season, so a split AHL/NHL season in 26-27 and then goes full time NHL in 27-28. This would be a similar type of development path as Kleven, who also had the same type of language ("raw, needs time") when he was drafted in 2020.
That seems like a fair development path.

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That's roundabout where I'd figure, as well. Give him 4 years to be a full time NHLer.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm still waiting for everyone that hates this pick so much to show me all the other 6'3 205 pound physical right handed d men that lead the WHL in goals on D that don't go top 10.

Did you see my post in the polls section?

A Wings fan said "a lot of sens fans lurking in the water" as to why Yakemchuk was voted #30. This is my response :

"A LOT! Only 6 of the 15 voters were Sens fans. I started voting Yakemchuk in poll #29, didn't vote for him before and he started getting votes a while ago

Here's where the other high end D prospects from the 2024 draft have been voted in the current ranking :

#7. Artyom Levshunov
#11. Zeev Buium
#17. Anton Silayev
#19. Sam Dickinson
#21. Zayne Parekh
#30. Carter Yakemchuk

Even though he was the 2nd D picked in the real draft and you can read this in McKenzie's article :

"There’s actually a sixth consideration, too. That would be TSN’s No. 13-ranked Carter Yakemchuk, the big 6-foot-3, 30-goal man from the Calgary Hitmen. He warrants inclusion in the same universe as the others. He was ranked as high as No. 4 on one list and as low as No. 20 on another, with four scouts having him in their Top 10."

But clearly, Yak has been voted #30 here because sens fans were lurking!
"

I even used the bit of info you and some other posters told me. I don't know why some act like if I was a Sens hater or even a Habs fan lol just because I have some concerns... which I think is pretty NORMAL after the terrible stretch of management we had.

Don’t forget to mention, some of those turned into Jensen and Ullmark, and drafting Yak doesn’t mean missing out.

Yeah, Ullmark and Jensen could be very beneficial as soon as next season but the question is "for how long?"

Jensen is soon 34 y/o and only has 2 years left. Doubt he'll be more than a stop gap piece. Ullmark is 31 y/o but is UFA at the end of the season, hopefully that turns out well for us and he extends reasonably as a bonafide #1

That said, if I was the owner and you told me that you paid a 7th OA pick and a 12th OA pick (plus multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks mind you) to acquire these 2 vets, I'd be quite upset. I invested a lot of money in this, these top prospects are worth a GOLD MINE to me.

Reactions: Sensators

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did you see my post in the polls section?

A Wings fan said "a lot of sens fans lurking in the water" as to why Yakemchuk was voted #30. This is my response :

"A LOT! Only 6 of the 15 voters were Sens fans. I started voting Yakemchuk in poll #29, didn't vote for him before and he started getting votes a while ago

Here's where the other high end D prospects from the 2024 draft have been voted in the current ranking :

#7. Artyom Levshunov
#11. Zeev Buium
#17. Anton Silayev
#19. Sam Dickinson
#21. Zayne Parekh
#30. Carter Yakemchuk

Even though he was the 2nd D picked in the real draft and you can read this in McKenzie's article :

"There’s actually a sixth consideration, too. That would be TSN’s No. 13-ranked Carter Yakemchuk, the big 6-foot-3, 30-goal man from the Calgary Hitmen. He warrants inclusion in the same universe as the others. He was ranked as high as No. 4 on one list and as low as No. 20 on another, with four scouts having him in their Top 10."

But clearly, Yak has been voted #30 here because sens fans were lurking!
"

I even used the bit of info you and some other posters told me. I don't know why some act like if I was a Sens hater or even a Habs fan lol just because I have some concerns... which I think is pretty NORMAL after the terrible stretch of management we had.

Yeah, Ullmark and Jensen could be very beneficial as soon as next season but the question is "for how long?"

Jensen is soon 34 y/o and only has 2 years left. Doubt he'll be more than a stop gap piece. Ullmark is 31 y/o but is UFA at the end of the season, hopefully that turns out well for us and he extends reasonably as a bonafide #1

That said, if I was the owner and you told me that you paid a 7th OA pick and a 12th OA pick (plus multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks mind you) to acquire these 2 vets, I'd be quite upset. I invested a lot of money in this, these top prospects are worth a GOLD MINE to me.

Its not so much I don't like Yakemchuk as a young man or a prospect. I'll repeat he has some attractive traits. I don't think he was the best player available . According to the NHL scouts Mackenzie is using and likely has for some time he was 6 out of 6. Silayev for example had 7 votes in the top 5, Yakemchuk had 1. Silayev had 4 vote him as the top D . He fell and we passed for Yakemchuk. Buium had 9 /10 scouts vote him in the top 10 the 10th had him 11. He fell and we passed for Yakemchuk. Yakemchuk is a RD a position of need and typically less available. He is physical and the Sens can use more physicality. He has skill and put up a very impressive stat line. Why didn't the scouts take all that in and rank him higher.. Mostly they are not looking at need and they may simply believe the 5/6 D ranked ahead bring enough of what they bring to be ranked higher. The ranking wasn't a pickem between Yakemchuk and someone else... only 4 Scouts had him in their top 10 where the others were 10,9,8,7. This is another look at how NHL scouts and execs saw the D going into the draft. https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5554081/2024/06/17/2024-nhl-draft-scout-survey/
17 NHL Scouts/Execs
Best/Least of the D available
1. Silayev / Yakemchuk
2. no vote comment Solberg / Jiricek below the 1st half of the 1st ; no vote
3. Levshunov / Yakemchuk comment Solberg or Jiricek are close to Yakemchuk
4. Parekh / Yakemchuk
5. no vote
6. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
7. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
8. Parekh / Yakemchuk
9. Silkayev / Dickinson
10 Parekh or Silayev / Dickinson
11. no vote likes Solberg outside that top 6
12. no vote
13. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
14. no vote
15. no vote
16. Dickinson / Yakemchuk
17. Levshunov / Dickinson
Removing the 6 no votes (meaning no best / least vote)
11 voted ; 8/11 had Yakemchuk ranked last out of the 6. ; 3/11 had Dickinson on the bottom.

People here should not be asking others to defend their position when we have these samples of NHL scouts/execs saying the same thing.

Scout 13 comment "Yakemchuk. Tremendous year and from a draft profile standpoint he meets all the standards. Size, right shot, 30 goals, 100 PIMS but the skating, particularly backward and his inability to defend are more concerning than others in this group."

Reactions: Xspyrit and Frank8

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Its not so much I don't like Yakemchuk as a young man or a prospect. I'll repeat he has some attractive traits. I don't think he was the best player available . According to the NHL scouts Mackenzie is using and likely has for some time he was 6 out of 6. Silayev for example had 7 votes in the top 5, Yakemchuk had 1. Silayev had 4 vote him as the top D . He fell and we passed for Yakemchuk. Buium had 9 /10 scouts vote him in the top 10 the 10th had him 11. He fell and we passed for Yakemchuk. Yakemchuk is a RD a position of need and typically less available. He is physical and the Sens can use more physicality. He has skill and put up a very impressive stat line. Why didn't the scouts take all that in and rank him higher.. Mostly they are not looking at need and they may simply believe the 5/6 D ranked ahead bring enough of what they bring to be ranked higher. The ranking wasn't a pickem between Yakemchuk and someone else... only 4 Scouts had him in their top 10 where the others were 10,9,8,7. This is another look at how NHL scouts and execs saw the D going into the draft. https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5554081/2024/06/17/2024-nhl-draft-scout-survey/
17 NHL Scouts/Execs
1. Silayev / Yakemchuk
4. Parekh / Yakemchuk
5. no vote
6. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
7. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
8. Parekh / Yakemchuk
9. Silkayev / Dickinson
12. no vote
14. no vote
15. no vote
11 voted ; 8/11 had Yakemchuk ranked last out of the 6. ; 3/11 had Dickinson on the bottom.

People here should not be asking others to defend their position when we have these samples of NHL scouts/execs saying the same thing.

Scout 13 comment "Yakemchuk. Tremendous year and from a draft profile standpoint he meets all the standards. Size, right shot, 30 goals, 100 PIMS but the skating, particularly backward and his inability to defend are more concerning than others in this group."
Yet 3 of those D, teams let them slide to 10, 11 and 12., so they didn’t go with any consensus.
So like I said before the draft, the rankings might not reflect what scouts of teams think, it could be hard to predict this year.

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yet 3 of those D, teams let them slide to 10, 11 and 12., so they didn’t go with any consensus.
So like I said before the draft, the rankings might not reflect what scouts of teams think, it could be hard to predict this year.
ezgif-2-f7cf2d6a21[1].gif

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Great memory. what were the things he did well in those games.

That seems like a fair development path.

The first game I went to he was a bull around both nets. REALLY stood out in a positive way with how assertive he was in high traffic areas. He looks really big out there at all times.

It's kind of a junior move but I remember him being really good at dangling past a forward in the o zone and coming down the wall before getting either himself or the puck into the slot. He seems to really like that play but I'm concerned that NHL defenders will seal that off and he'll be out of position. But he certainly made it work in the WHL.

Reactions: DrEasy

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Instead of a potential Shea Weber. I'm still waiting for everyone that hates this pick so much to show me all the other 6'3 205 pound physical right handed d men that lead the WHL in goals on D that don't go top 10.

Unicorn type skillset for a defenseman. For all the people that don't like the pick what is it that you don't like about the player?

But yeah let's get another small skill left handed forward. Easiest asset to aquire in hockey.

Meanwhile team picks a mean heavy, skilled RHD the hardest position to fill in hockey.

I said this before the draft these types of players don't get picked in the teens.

I get favouring Yakemchuk but

A. "Another" implies we are filled with small forwards, we really aren't.
B. Game-breaking centres-which Catton has the potential to become-are at least as hard to obtain as top pair RHD, if not harder.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
17 NHL Scouts/Execs
1. Silayev / Yakemchuk
4. Parekh / Yakemchuk
5. no vote
6. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
7. Levshunov / Yakemchuk
8. Parekh / Yakemchuk
9. Silkayev / Dickinson
12. no vote
14. no vote
15. no vote

Ottawa drafted for need and it was a smart thing to do

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ottawa drafted for need and it was a smart thing to do
They checked all the boxes that we as fans have been clamouring for.

- Go for upside, not a high floor American that is big and “plays the right way”.

- Draft to fill a hole/need

- Draft BPA-ish and don’t go completely off board.

They’ve done everything that we have wanted and yet some fans still complain.

Reactions: Bileur

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Not a particularly impressive performance from Yakemchuk in today's summer showcase game.

Early on he showed a bit of jump and aggressiveness, but then late first he got burned going for a neutral zone pinch that resulted in a goal against, and from that point forward he never looked the same. Not a factor offensively and not someone I was confident in defensively (when he's flat footed, he's really flat footed). By the third period he'd been taken off the 2nd PP unit (Dickinson took his place) and in overtime Canada played three defenceman (Parekh, Dickinos, Mynio) over him.

It's just one game in August, and a disjointed one at that, but not a great showing nonetheless. Hopefully he looked better throughout the camp.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not a particularly impressive performance from Yakemchuk in today's summer showcase game.

Early on he showed a bit of jump and aggressiveness, but then late first he got burned going for a neutral zone pinch that resulted in a goal against, and from that point forward he never looked the same. Not a factor offensively and not someone I was confident in defensively (when he's flat footed, he's really flat footed). By the third period he'd been taken off the 2nd PP unit (Dickinson took his place) and in overtime Canada played three defenceman (Parekh, Dickinos, Mynio) over him.

It's just one game in August, and a disjointed one at that, but not a great showing nonetheless. Hopefully he looked better throughout the camp.
He had a rough showcase.

I really don’t know what role he’d fill, at this point in time of his development, in a 2 week tournament for Canada.

Like you said, Summer camp doesn’t mean too much, but looking at the guys there and the roles, I’m not sure where I’d have him.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
He had a rough showcase.

I really don’t know what role he’d fill, at this point in time of his development, in a 2 week tournament for Canada.

Like you said, Summer camp doesn’t mean too much, but looking at the guys there and the roles, I’m not sure where I’d have him.

The fact that they had him with Molendyk for most of camp suggests they see (or at least saw) him being on the team and in a fairly prominent role. But I think Parekh is showing he's the better player right now at this level, and if Parekh is in their top 6, and Bonk is in the top 6, does it really make sense to also have Yakemchuk?

I do think he makes the team, but I could see him being a guy who's riding the bench deeper into the tournament because he doesn't really fit a role - not elite enough offensively to play an offensive role against the best competition, and not strong enough defensively to make sense in a defence-first role, either.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

- Go for upside, not a high floor American that is big and “plays the right way”.

The five players chosen after Yakemchuk also have high upsides. And frankly, Yakemchuk being 6'3 and having loads of PIMs probably skewed things in his favour with our scouting group.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sounds like the kind of kid who needs to learn how to play it simple and structured, and get comfortable before playing his own game. Probably inside his own head too much in a short tournament like this instead of just playing.

Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

It’s because fans are dumbs and don’t want to believe teams draft for need and they always draft BPA from Bob McKenzies list (even when Bob says this list is crazy innacurate) and then the Sens team is Litterally like “Yakumchuk fills a need on our team” - Sens chief scout 5 minutes after drafted Yakumchuk.

Sens fans want to believe it’s always BPA and when you don’t it’s a Tyler Boucher situation so that’s what we’re doing now

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00