Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Let's remember Bouchard made the Oilers 4 years after being drafted.

There were a lot of questions marks about him early on, but he progressed and eventually became a full time NHLer. His 1st 2 seasons he was a .5 PPG player and then exploded last year.

Covid may have played a part in how long he took, but letting Yak develop and having him join the team in 3 or 4 years isn't the end of the world. We want a well rounded player.

I know this wasn't the narrative during the Oilers Cup run but I don't find Bouchard to be rounded even now. He's not very good defensively and I question his transition game when he doesn't have elite options to pass to. He's dynamite in the offenive zone and on the PP though.

I'm hoping Yak can be a better defensive player than Bouchard.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I know this wasn't the narrative during the Oilers Cup run but I don't find Bouchard to be rounded even now. He's not very good defensively and I question his transition game when he doesn't have elite options to pass to. He's dynamite in the offenive zone and on the PP though.

I'm hoping Yak can be a better defensive player than Bouchard.
I would certainly put a premium on being a good defensive player over his offensive output.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So good thing if Yakemchuk was perceived higher than I thought

I read #13 on McKenzie's list and #15 on the average of 16 sources so that's how I came up with "mid teens"

Well I am sorry for stating he was listed #13 on McKenzie's list and that I didn't scout him for that reason. Yes my post lacked context because I didn't know about it. Didn't realize it would create such turmoil lol
lol should have gone with close to mid teens like I did. See 13 to me is close to mid teens; 15 is even closer. Not everyone will agree. But even that drew some play on words argument. There is nothing wrong with ranking players they way you see them and for reasons you have to rank them that way. Don't expect agreement .. People get emotional over prospects, get blinders on when they decide to like them, defend their position and some attack because you may point things out that they overlooked or disagree with. The Sens scouts ticked some boxes very important to them on Yakemchuk. RD, Big, physical, put up points. They probably had mobile too. That was enough for them. Its likely enough for many vocal supporters. One of the Sens top guys publicly proclaimed his skating to be elite. So he is now a 7th overall that went ahead of all defensemen not named Levshunov and he has elite skating.

I guess people that wanted something else were wrong or the people that wanted Yakemchuk were right or something like that.... Out of that field of 6 . I'll take the field of 5 to have someone turn out better but that's not how the draft works. My guy was Silayev and he fell and we passed.
I am over that. Still not happy with our pick though. But I hear he's great so I guess I have to wait and see if he can take his set of tools and take some big steps in development over the next 2,3,4 years. Pretty sure he'll be an NHL player barring serious injury and right now he sits on top of our prospect list.

Is there an intersection of people that think we seriously need an overhaul on our amateur scouting that really like the Yakemchuk pick?

What did Bob's10 scouts say?
Levshunov is certainly the consensus top defenceman. He was the only prospect other than Demidov to get more than one second-place vote. Demidov had six; Levshunov had three; Silayev had one. Eight of 10 scouts had Levshunov in the top five; the two who had him outside the top five ranked him six and seven.

And yet, for all that, six of the 10 scouts did not have Levshunov as the No. 1 defenceman on their list. Four did, the same number that had Silayev as the top blueliner. Two more identified Saginaw Spirit offensive dynamo Zayne Parekh as their No. 1.
Yah that makes 10. #1 ranked D Levshunov 4 Silayev 4 Parekh 2. (These people don't watch the games) amirite?

Levshunov and Silayev are Nos. 3 and 4, respectively, followed by the WHL forward Lindstrom at No. 5.

No. 6 is 6-foot-3, 203-pound London Knight defenceman Sam Dickinson. A marvelous skater and puck mover, Dickinson was ranked as high as No. 5 and as low as No. 16, but eight of 10 scouts had him in their Top 10.

No. 7 is Denver University’s Zeev Buium. The highly skilled 6-foot, 186-pound Pioneer rearguard was ranked as high as No. 6 and no lower than No. 11, with nine of 10 scouts slotting him in their Top 10.

No. 8 is Parekh, the Spirit’s dynamic offensive defenceman who was ranked as high as No. 3 and as low as No. 13, with seven of 10 scouts placing him in their Top 10; two of them putting him in their Top 5.

By the time you distill all those numbers, the differences between the trio of Dickinson, Buium and Parekh are minimal. Levshunov and Silayev appear to be in a consensus tier just above the other three, but there are varying degrees of crossover with that group of five blue-chippers.

Now Bob confused me (easily done) In the 1st quote above he said 2 scouts identified Parekh as their number 1 and in this one (2nd quote) he says he was ranked as high as 3.. now I thought 1 was higher than 3 but .. see above. Either way Bob concludes the top 2 are Levshunov and Silayev and the next 3 are very close as a group in a 2nd tier (Dickinson, Buium, Parekh) .. my interpretation of the differences being minimal.
Now that leaves 1 more of the top 6 D...

There’s actually a sixth consideration, too. That would be TSN’s No. 13-ranked Carter Yakemchuk, the big 6-foot-3, 30-goal man from the Calgary Hitmen. He warrants inclusion in the same universe as the others. He was ranked as high as No. 4 on one list and as low as No. 20 on another, with four scouts having him in their Top 10.

(6) Dickinson had 8/10 in the top 10,
(7) Buium had 9/10 in the top 10
(8) Parekh had 7/10 in the top 10

Yakemchuk had 4/10 in the top 10. Now people beating his drum are arguing he was right there ... well excuse me but 13-15 is a lot closer to mid teens than 4/10 is to being right there. Last I checked the universe is pretty big.

An NHL scout had Yakemchuk as low as 20... That's where Scouch had him. seems valid. They both don't watch the games.

Now for some NHL scout comments on Yakemchuk provided by Bob. From what I can gauge only 1 actually watched games.

“He’s big and long,” said a scout who believes Yakemchuk is a Top 5 overall prospect. “He boxes guys out pretty well and he does have some bite. He has great offensive instincts. His skating is a little funky, but he gets there.” Funky is he new Elite

Some have compared Yakemchuk’s game to Edmonton Oiler offensive defenceman Evan Bouchard. They both shoot the puck from the blueline with authority, especially on the PP. Bouchard’s defensive game started to mature this season, but the scouts say Yakemchuk has a lot of room for improvement in that area. Bouchard is an elite NHL passer — and he was in his draft year — but Yakemchuk is a work in progress.

His skating needs some work and so does his ability to defend, but he’s obviously got some tools,” another scout said. “He’s more of a scorer than a passer. He can be physical but it’s inconsistent.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It was Germanspitfire who posted that, and he had Yakemchuk ranked 20th on his board. Not to take anything away from what he saw or reported, but he wasn't a big fan of the player two months ago, either.
I guess but it feels like everyone outside of the Sens Org(and Pronman, lol) is critical of Yakemchuk's skating.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

There were a lot of questions marks about him early on, but he progressed and eventually became a full time NHLer. His 1st 2 seasons he was a .5 PPG player and then exploded last year.

Covid may have played a part in how long he took, but letting Yak develop and having him join the team in 3 or 4 years isn't the end of the world. We want a well rounded player.
With the bolded happening as McDavid is putting up historic numbers in the reg/post season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
HF doing its annual "HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking" and the #30 poll is up. Yakemchuk still hasn't been voted. I'm really not posting that for Sens fans go and vote for him (he will most likely already win this round!) but just wanted to show another thing that influenced my uneducated take. So far the other Ds from the same tier were voted :

#7. Artyom Levshunov
#11. Zeev Buium
#17. Anton Silayev
#19. Sam Dickinson
#21. Zayne Parekh

There's a bias somewhere. Maybe it's everyone biased against Ottawa

lol should have gone with close to mid teens like I did. See 13 to me is close to mid teens; 15 is even closer. Not everyone will agree. But even that drew some play on words argument. There is nothing wrong with ranking players they way you see them and for reasons you have to rank them that way. Don't expect agreement .. People get emotional over prospects, get blinders on when they decide to like them, defend their position and some attack because you may point things out that they overlooked or disagree with. The Sens scouts ticked some boxes very important to them on Yakemchuk. RD, Big, physical, put up points. They probably had mobile too. That was enough for them. Its likely enough for many vocal supporters. One of the Sens top guys publicly proclaimed his skating to be elite. So he is now a 7th overall that went ahead of all defensemen not named Levshunov and he has elite skating.

I guess people that wanted something else were wrong or the people that wanted Yakemchuk were right or something like that.... Out of that field of 6 . I'll take the field of 5 to have someone turn out better but that's not how the draft works. My guy was Silayev and he fell and we passed.
I am over that. Still not happy with our pick though. But I hear he's great so I guess I have to wait and see if he can take his set of tools and take some big steps in development over the next 2,3,4 years. Pretty sure he'll be an NHL player barring serious injury and right now he sits on top of our prospect list.

Is there an intersection of people that think we seriously need an overhaul on our amateur scouting that really like the Yakemchuk pick?

Yeah #13 is mid teens for me

I had no idea what was going in this thread, as you can see I didn't participate much and basically didn't read anything so I assumed people in general were not pleased with the selection. Look like I was wrong

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
HF doing its annual "HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking" and the #30 poll is up. Yakemchuk still hasn't been voted. I'm really not posting that for Sens fans go and vote for him (he will most likely already win this round!) but just wanted to show another thing that influenced my uneducated take. So far the other Ds from the same tier were voted :

#7. Artyom Levshunov
#11. Zeev Buium
#17. Anton Silayev
#19. Sam Dickinson
#21. Zayne Parekh

Catton was also voted ahead. We could have potentially passed over a Canadian Stutzle.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I think the reason people are uneasy, myself included, is they don't have confidence in Yakemchuk's projection at either end. Is he gifted enough offensively for it to translate to the NHL level, and/or will he become strong defensively? Both are question marks to me. There's a world where (1) the offence isn't quite good enough and that part of his game disappears (see Cody Ceci going from junior to the NHL) and (2) he's also not that strong defensively, and he becomes this Ceci-like right shot defenceman who plays in the league because of his size, handedness and pedigree, but isn't actually good. The upside of course is that he becomes great on both ends.

Bouchard is able to play with that low panic threshold because he has incredible smarts and is an incredibly quick processor. It's why Yakemchuk emulating Bouchard scares me, because Bouchard's game shouldn't work. He only gets away with it because he's a special thinker.

If Yakemchuk wants to play like Bouchard in the offensive zone, that's one thing. I don't think he'll ever be that effective because I don't think he sees the ice as well as Bouchard, but it's a reasonable style to model yourself after. But I think Yakemchuk would be a disaster defensively at the NHL level if he thought he could play like Bouchard back there.
I liked Bouchard in his draft year and I argued at length for him being the top D target for our beloved Sens. But saying that, I think his exceptional processing ability and status as a special thinker wouldn't be given the same hype if he was in a different context, where he wasn't playing with two generational forwards. Hyman is great player, but he didn't hit 30 until he started playing with the Edmonton Oilers. His previous high was 21 goals before arriving Edmonton, where he was miraculously turned into a 50 goal scorers at like 32 . Does he even score 30 in Ottawa? How many goals would Brady have playing with McDavid, 55 or more? I would not be surprised.

If Bouchard was playing with Montreal instead of Edmonton, would people be raving about his high level processing skills as much? Perhaps Montreal fans would...I am not saying Bouchard is not a great player, and a perfect fit on that team, but his numbers would be far more pedestrian playing alongside Caulfield and Suziki. How many points would he put up this context? 55? 60? We will never know the answer, but I would set the over/under at about 63. I also think his penchant for simple and efficient execution would probably take a hit when having force things on a much less talented team.

I think there is also a lot of revisionism going on with Bouchard. He was absolutely ripped to shred during the 2018 Summer Showcase. He did little offensively, looked slow footed and made a ton of mistakes and generally seemed overwhelmed. His proneness to defensive lapses and bonehead plays, many felt, would cancel out any of his offensive production. While he made good reads on offense, his defensive reads were often terrible. Some were even calling him the worst player in the tournament and a large section of Edmonton fans were buyers remorse.

Not to mention, he just had a breakout year at 24. Nurse and Bouchard were basically on par offensively for the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons. I don't think people were throwing exceptional processor as generously before the 2023/2024 season. And for a guy that thinks the the game so well, he wasn't even getting substantial PP time until the 2022-2023 season, which would be the ideal situation for him to thrive, with less reliance on skating.

There are many threads and discussions comparing Dobson and Bouchard over the years and in almost every case Dobson was the player chosen as the preferable option, with people even questioning Bouchard's offensive upside. I mean he was only a 40 point player on an offensive juggernaut. I can give you 100s of quotes.

I am not saying that Yakemchuk has the same of offensive reads as Bouchard, but I find there is a general tendency to downplay his abilities, to create these very certain dichotomies between him and another player, where the other player has all the good qualities on their side of the equation. Or, to forget entirely about many of criticisms and concerns a player faced before they were successful. Bouchard is a weird player. I watched a lot of the Edmonton run and felt he was one of the players that benefitted most - Hyman the other - playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. But oddly enough, I feel that Bouchard is the type of player that could take advantage of that situation - better than a Hughes or Dobson for instance. His simple style is the perfect compliment to those two dynamic players.

I really don't get your comparison of Yakemchuk and Ceci as an example of offense not translating to the NHL game. Ceci is a much different player that was in a much better situation to generate offense. Ceci is more comparable to Dickinson. Big and toolsy, but maybe lacking in some offensive instincts.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

#7. Artyom Levshunov
#11. Zeev Buium
#17. Anton Silayev
#19. Sam Dickinson
#21. Zayne Parekh

Yeah #13 is mid teens for me

I had no idea what was going in this thread, as you can see I didn't participate much and basically didn't read anything so I assumed people in general were not pleased with the selection. Look like I was wrong

13 is the first “teen”, not that it makes a lot of difference

Reactions: Xspyrit

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

#7. Artyom Levshunov
#11. Zeev Buium
#17. Anton Silayev
#19. Sam Dickinson
#21. Zayne Parekh

They aren't biased against Ottawa, they just don't know anything that isn't spoon fed to them. They look at stats and what people are talking about and pick based on that; the Senators get no coverage from anyone outside of the market, so most people have no clue.

HF has a lot of smart hockey people, it just has way, way more morons who think that, by virtue of being active on HF, they know more than they do.

EDIT: hell, if you look back at my history, I'm sure I was guilty of the above plenty of times. I got here when I was 23 years old.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Bouchard benefits the most of any D drafted by the team he was drafted to in the past like, 30 years. If he was on Minny or Calgary or Ottawa, or any other team, he’s probably signing a Kaiden Guhle type deal, not a potential 9+ deal. I do think that Bouchards vision and processing is quite a bit better than Yaks, but I think that on any other team that vision and processing he’s a 45-60 point guy.

The contract he will sign would be absolutely awful on every team in the league outside of Edmonton, McD and Drai help make a few 3’s dress up like 9’s (just using the expression, not saying he’s a 3)

I’m definitely hoping for a different player than Bouchard, I don’t think he’d be very good on this iteration of Ottawa, or the one being built.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I liked Bouchard in his draft year and I argued at length for him being the top D target for our beloved Sens. But saying that, I think his exceptional processing ability and status as a special thinker wouldn't be given the same hype if he was in a different context, where he wasn't playing with two generational forwards. Hyman is great player, but he didn't hit 30 until he started playing with the Edmonton Oilers. His previous high was 21 goals before arriving Edmonton, where he was miraculously turned into a 50 goal scorers at like 32 . Does he even score 30 in Ottawa? How many goals would Brady have playing with McDavid, 55 or more? I would not be surprised.

If Bouchard was playing with Montreal instead of Edmonton, would people be raving about his high level processing skills as much? Perhaps Montreal fans would...I am not saying Bouchard is not a great player, and a perfect fit on that team, but his numbers would be far more pedestrian playing alongside Caulfield and Suziki. How many points would he put up this context? 55? 60? We will never know the answer, but I would set the over/under at about 63. I also think his penchant for simple and efficient execution would probably take a hit when having force things on a much less talented team.

I think there is also a lot of revisionism going on with Bouchard. He was absolutely ripped to shred during the 2018 Summer Showcase. He did little offensively, looked slow footed and made a ton of mistakes and generally seemed overwhelmed. His proneness to defensive lapses and bonehead plays, many felt, would cancel out any of his offensive production. While he made good reads on offense, his defensive reads were often terrible. Some were even calling him the worst player in the tournament and a large section of Edmonton fans were buyers remorse.

Not to mention, he just had a breakout year at 24. Nurse and Bouchard were basically on par offensively for the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons. I don't think people were throwing exceptional processor as generously before the 2023/2024 season. And for a guy that thinks the the game so well, he wasn't even getting substantial PP time until the 2022-2023 season, which would be the ideal situation for him to thrive, with less reliance on skating.

There are many threads and discussions comparing Dobson and Bouchard over the years and in almost every case Dobson was the player chosen as the preferable option, with people even questioning Bouchard's offensive upside. I mean he was only a 40 point player on an offensive juggernaut. I can give you 100s of quotes.

I am not saying that Yakemchuk has the same of offensive reads as Bouchard, but I find there is a general tendency to downplay his abilities, to create these very certain dichotomies between him and another player, where the other player has all the good qualities on their side of the equation. Or, to forget entirely about many of criticisms and concerns a player faced before they were successful. Bouchard is a weird player. I watched a lot of the Edmonton run and felt he was one of the players that benefitted most - Hyman the other - playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. But oddly enough, I feel that Bouchard is the type of player that could take advantage of that situation - better than a Hughes or Dobson for instance. His simple style is the perfect compliment to those two dynamic players.

I really don't get your comparison of Yakemchuk and Ceci as an example of offense not translating to the NHL game. Ceci is a much different player that was in a much better situation to generate offense. Ceci is more comparable to Dickinson. Big and toolsy, but maybe lacking in some offensive instincts.

I don't like the way Bouchard plays defence, but he's able to get away with it (most of the time) because he thinks the game exceptionally well. He exerts so little energy defending because he anticipates plays very well and can make very quick, smart decisions with the puck when he gets it. Watching Bouchard, it looks like the way he plays shouldn't work. And yet it does for him. Maybe that's being in the perfect context, maybe it's him, probably it's a bit of both.

Point taken on how Bouchard was viewed at the same age. Yakemchuk will probably face similar questions until, in time, he answers them one way or another.

As for the mention of Ceci, I'm not comparing them as players down to the skillset. I'm just using Ceci as an example (because people around here are familiar with him) of a player who was an offensive defenceman in juniors, but whose offensive game was not strong enough to translate to the pros. In Ceci's case, he was able to adapt and become what he is today. If Yakemchuk's offensive game doesn't translate, will he be able to adapt in a similar way?

That's where it gets a bit scary with Yakemchuk. What's the floor if - like many before him who produced offensively in junior - he's just not quite good enough offensively for his coaches to deploy him as an offensive defenceman in the NHL?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I don't like the way Bouchard plays defence, but he's able to get away with it (most of the time) because he thinks the game exceptionally well. He exerts so little energy defending because he anticipates plays very well and can make very quick, smart decisions with the puck when he gets it. Watching Bouchard, it looks like the way he plays shouldn't work. And yet it does for him. Maybe that's being in the perfect context, maybe it's him, probably it's a bit of both.

Point taken on how Bouchard was viewed at the same age. Yakemchuk will probably face similar questions until, in time, he answers them one way or another.

As for the mention of Ceci, I'm not comparing them as players down to the skillset. I'm just using Ceci as an example (because people around here are familiar with him) of a player who was an offensive defenceman in juniors, but whose offensive game was not strong enough to translate to the pros. In Ceci's case, he was able to adapt and become what he is today. If Yakemchuk's offensive game doesn't translate, will he be able to adapt in a similar way?

That's where it gets a bit scary with Yakemchuk. What's the floor if - like many before him who produced offensively in junior - he's just not quite good enough offensively for his coaches to deploy him as an offensive defenceman in the NHL?
Yakemchuk thinks the game quite well (not as good as Bouchard), but has much better physical tools (i.e. bigger, taller, stronger and possibly faster in a straight-line), better stick-handling and plays with a greater level of compete/nastiness that will serve him well in the defensive zone - not that weird aloofness that Bouchard plays with at times. Bouchard measured at 6'2 at the 2018 combine, so his 6'3 listing now may be a little suspect, but players do grow after their draft year and I believe Yakemchuk will be closer to 6'4 when all said and done. Late growth spurts are apparently a thing in his family. Brady was 6'3 at the combine, but now is apparently 6'4, which I do believe because he looks massive out there. Yakemchuk, look at his brother Connor, has a much more projectable frame than Bouchard and should be about 15 to 20 pounds heavier.

Yakemchuk has not had the privilege in playing in an elite program at the CHL level like a Bouchard, Dickinson, or a Parehk. He has not been properly coached up or developed. In this year's draft guides, many scouts directed criticism at the Calgary coaching staff for not properly supporting their players. I have been buying draft guides since 2018 and I do not recall multiple scouts ever raising concerns like this about a coaching staff.

The processor that Bouchard has gets greatly augmented when playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. They give him time and space to freely operate, especially when paired together and on the PP. Like I said before, he has very high offensive IQ, but it took Bouchard years to figure it all out. And until his year, despite playing with two of the most talented of this generation, he basically was bordering on being a top ten disappointment.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Whole new coaching staff and the usual junior cycle of improvement.

He’s likely to be traded to a top team in January the same way Ostapchuk was.

I kinda wish they'd move that up to this month. The trade, I mean. Would be much better for the kid to walk into training camp on his new team and start with a better organization from day 1.

Yak strikes me as the type of kid that needs a lot of stability and time to adjust to big changes. Bouncing around on a couple different teams over the course of the year (WJC team included in this) has a chance to derail him temporarily.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I kinda wish they'd move that up to this month. The trade, I mean. Would be much better for the kid to walk into training camp on his new team and start with a better organization from day 1.

Yak strikes me as the type of kid that needs a lot of stability and time to adjust to big changes. Bouncing around on a couple different teams over the course of the year (WJC team included in this) has a chance to derail him temporarily.
Don't think Yak will be effected by that, he should hit the ground running regardless of what team he's on

The jump to pro will be a significant adjustment period, but I think he will continue to be one of, if not the best, D in the W next year regardless of what team he's on

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'd say the odds are pretty good he scores enough goals to get into the top 10 goals in a season by a dman this upcoming year. 10th of all time is 35, so 36 would be a historic achievement

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240802_102149_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240802_102149_Chrome.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
We'll see in a few years if Yak was a good pick. I understand the team's perspective: his upside is massive, and his weakness (skating agility) can be improved by power skating correcting his flawed technique. His attributes remind me a lot of Dion Phaneuf, who was an outstanding #2 defenseman with unusual attributes in his prime: great shot, physical, not the greatest skater. If he ends up as a Phaneuf, good pick.

I remember in 2000, when the Sens chose Jake Sanderson, rated 9-10 in the 5th spot. They were ripped for not picking the more highly touted Drysdale. Now Sandy is a true #1, possibly the best pick from that draft, and way better than Drysdale, who is injury prone and terrible defensively. We could see history repeat itself with Yak. Perhaps not, but it's way too early to make conclusions.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I remember fans of teams criticizing a recently drafted 18 year old Erik Karlsson. They claimed he was lazy and disengaged. The criticism was that he feasted on weaker opponents and racked up point totals when the game was already decided.

And maybe there was even some truth to it. But Karlsson at 18 was not the same player he was at 21. Sens scouts took Yakemchuk because they are projecting what he will become. I am not worried in the slightest. It will be fun to watch his development this coming season.

Reactions: bert

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'd say the odds are pretty good he scores enough goals to get into the top 10 goals in a season by a dman this upcoming year. 10th of all time is 35, so 36 would be a historic achievement
I remember Hawgood stepping into the Bruins during the playoffs and looking like a player.

I remember fans of teams criticizing a recently drafted 18 year old Erik Karlsson. They claimed he was lazy and disengaged. The criticism was that he feasted on weaker opponents and racked up point totals when the game was already decided.

And maybe there was even some truth to it. But Karlsson at 18 was not the same player he was at 21. Sens scouts took Yakemchuk because they are projecting what he will become. I am not worried in the slightest. It will be fun to watch his development this coming season.
Brennan was an oaf who pissed all over that pick to begin with but watching Karlsson you knew he would always be the best skater on the ice and his explosiveness was going to be game changing.

When he was in Ottawa for the WJHC I knew we had an amazing player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We'll see in a few years if Yak was a good pick. I understand the team's perspective: his upside is massive, and his weakness (skating agility) can be improved by power skating correcting his flawed technique. His attributes remind me a lot of Dion Phaneuf, who was an outstanding #2 defenseman with unusual attributes in his prime: great shot, physical, not the greatest skater. If he ends up as a Phaneuf, good pick.
I honestly don't remember much about Phaneuf from his draft year, his stats from his draft year don't jump off the page, so I'm not how well the comp lines up but if he turns into Phaneuf that's a damn solid pick imo

Reactions: bert

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Brennan was an oaf who pissed all over that pick to begin with but watching Karlsson you knew he would always be the best skater on the ice and his explosiveness was going to be game changing.

Brennan was so gutless that he wouldn't pan the the pick himself. Instead he quoted one of his drinking buddies who called it a garbage pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00