Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One very minor thing that stuck out to me during the video was George Fargher talking about Yakemchuk's penalty minutes, and adding something along the lines of "now, I don't know how many of those were for misconducts, but".

My first thought was - why doesn't he know that? If you're advocating for this guy at 7OA, and that's an important enough caveat to mention to your GM, why didn't you figure it out before the meeting? People on here went and looked it up, and yet our area scout didn't bother to do a quick Google?

It's such a small thing, and we don't know the rest of the the conversation, but it really does make them look like the old guys from Moneyball. "Big clapper. Uses the lumber. Girlfriend's a ten. He's an Ottawa Senator."

This is exactly who they are.

Bunch of old school hockey guys who actually think cross-checking and slashing penalties are a good thing because it means the team is tough and "hard to play against". Nevermind that there's no team that easier to play against than one that continually puts its opponents on the man advantage.

I'm not in favour of going full Moneypuck ala the Hurricanes in the Tulsky era or the Leafs under Dubas, but there's a nice middle ground to be found. Right now we're drafting like the Burke era Leafs and our picks look just about as disastrous as theirs did during that period.

I gave Staios the benefit of the doubt for not replacing the scouting staff mid-way through the season, but there's been zero movement on that front this off-season and it's extremely concerning.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Bunch of old school hockey guys who actually think cross-checking and slashing penalties are a good thing because it means the team is tough and "hard to play against". Nevermind that there's no team that easier to play against than one that continually puts its opponents on the man advantage.

I'm not in favour of going full Moneypuck ala the Hurricanes in the Tulsky era or the Leafs under Dubas, but there's a nice middle ground to be found. Right now we're drafting like the Burke era Leafs and our picks look just about as disastrous as theirs did during that period.

I gave Staios the benefit of the doubt for not replacing the scouting staff mid-way through the season, but there's been zero movement on that front this off-season and it's extremely concerning.
Looking at the last 3 years of drafting I just don't get why they think we need 100 low-offense defensive defensemen.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think it’s because the playoffs is all about defending on the back end.
That's an oversimplification, but defending is important obviously.

Let's look at the Panthers D though and what kind of player they were when drafted.

Ekblad: 1st OA and almost PPG player in his draft year. Big two-way D.
Montour: Drafted as a smallish, offensive defenseman. Has worked on his D to become more of a two-way guy.
Forsling: Drafted as a late round skilled type D who has continued to develop his game right through his 27 year old season.
OEL: High draft pick offensive D.
Kulikov: Drafted as an offensive D in the first round.
Mikkola: Drafted as a big defensive D who showed some skill in the Finish league.

That's 1/6 for the Panthers regular D who were drafted in the mold of the guys we've been feasting on in the draft (Kleven, Andonovski, Eliasson, Roger, Nordberg, Wallberg).

We need a more balanced approach to our D drafting. Hopefully Yakemchuk can be a player that offsets some of the monoculture of D that we've been drafting.

Our scouts seem to have an outdated idea of what good defense looks like. Most of the guys who are truly good at D in the NHL were at worst two way guys when they were drafted.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa seems to have a number of decent all around good defencemen in their own prospect pool especially if some pan out with size & skill such as ....

Andonovski - Yakemchuk
Donovan - Stanley
Eliasson - Guennette
Wallberg - Matinpalo

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Top pair for the world junior scrimmage tonight. Anyone know if it’ll be broadcast somewhere?

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Man I am hoping so hard this guy isn’t a bust.

Sens drafting record has been absolute trash since the Ridly Greig draft
Other than Boucher and Rogers who that we have drafted was such a trash pick?

The disappointment has been trading away our firsts (mind you one was converted into Ullmark which is a win). Picks like Ostapchuk, Halliday, Donovan, Stanley, Andonovsky, Nikitin and who knows who else could still provide value. Too early to make such a claim.

The disappointment was in not having 2 consecutive firsts and sure, that might make it seem like trash but I don't think it's an accurate assessment.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is it me or if everything goes well, Yakemchuk ends up in a Chychrun type of player?

I wonder if anyone else came up with this question lol
Nothing alike from how they physically engage. Yakemchuk clears the crease and is heavy in the corners. Has a mean streak, isnt as strong a skater. How they approach the game defenisvely is pretty much polar opposites. Yakemchuk Also shoots right. If chychrun did that he would be a way more valuable player. Stylistically he is like Phaneuf with better hands.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tkatchuk can be gangly and all over the place when his big strength at the time was causing havoc in the corners and crashing the net.

Yakemchuk can’t be like that when his biggest strength at the moment is dangly junior level forwards

You have a point at the end. They had sennecke and iginla ahead of yalemhcuk
Boy your takes are rough lately.

Yakemchuk isn't beating out Parekh for the top OFD role at RD.

He's nowhere near as good offensively. Not even in the same tier.

If he makes Team Canada it's because he will have improved his two-way game to the point where he can be counted on to provide value in the defensive end.
Lol about as accurate as your Brady Tkachuk Zadina comparison. They almost scored the same amount of goals. Parehk played on an all star team and had more assists while Yakemchuk played on a bottom feeder. Parehk also doesn't carry the puck through the neutral zone. Doesn't create separation.

Now If you were talking about Buium and how offensively gifted he is in all aspects of the game you'd have an argument. But you aren't.....

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

To have this level of arrogance when you hated in the Brady Tkachuk pick to no end is insanely ironic.

Reading your content in this thread tells me you've actually never watched Yakemchuk (or parehk) play or you have absolutely no clue what you're looking at.

Heavy d cores with size/length have won the last 2 cups. Are you not watching?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Man I am hoping so hard this guy isn’t a bust.

Sens drafting record has been absolute trash since the Ridly Greig draft
Ridly Greig et al. (2020) is the saving grace of this franchise. We'd be so pooched without that draft
Nothing alike from how they physically engage. Yakemchuk clears the crease and is heavy in the corners. Has a mean streak, isnt as strong a skater. How they approach the game defenisvely is pretty much polar opposites. Yakemchuk Also shoots right. If chychrun did that he would be a way more valuable player. Stylistically he is like Phaneuf with better hands.
I only know the liner notes about Yakemchuk's frame and build, and he is clearly a big dude, but Dion was a level of tank that not many people can attain. Does Yakemchuk have the potential to fill out like him?

If so... right shot Phaneuf with better hands sounds pretty nice.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boy your takes are rough lately.

Lol about as accurate as your Brady Tkachuk Zadina comparison. They almost scored the same amount of goals. Parehk played on an all star team and had more assists while Yakemchuk played on a bottom feeder. Parehk also doesn't carry the puck through the neutral zone. Doesn't create separation.

Now If you were talking about Buium and how offensively gifted he is in all aspects of the game you'd have an argument. But you aren't.....
That is his BIGGEST strength. His puck control on the offensive side of the ice.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
To have this level of arrogance when you hated in the Brady Tkachuk pick to no end is insanely ironic.

Reading your content in this thread tells me you've actually never watched Yakemchuk (or parehk) play or you have absolutely no clue what you're looking at.

The old bert "you disagree with me so you've obviously never watched the player" non-argument argument.

Classic.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Regarding Yakemchuk's PIMs, I wish I could find it, but I saw an article that pointed out pretty much half of them were either game misconducts or fights. Plus, his PIM amount in the 2022-2023 season was actually pretty modest, so it's not really a case of Yakemchuk accumulating loads of crosschecks/trips due to playing recklessly or poorly.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Not sure why you think I'm a Zadina guy. Dobson was my pick in 2018. Didn't want Tkachuk or Zadina at #4.

Yakemchuk is a year ahead of Parekh in development. Despite that he had 3 less goals and 25 less points in the same amount of games. Massive gap in production when you consider age.

Parekh played on a better team but Saginaw had no elite talent at forward. He led his team in points 21. For all the talk about Yakemchuk playing with no good players, he didn't lead his team in scoring.

I have to laugh when I see people saying Parekh doesn't rush the puck a lot like it's a negative. Most NHL D don't put up points by rushing the puck. Elite offensive D put up points by consistently putting the puck on the tape of teammates when they get open, and Parekh does that in the offensive zone better than any other D drafted in several years. His skill, vision and shot accuracy is Karlsson-esque.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Personally I'm very happy with Yakemchuk
I will be a stud for us for years to come. You can't please everybody as an organization you need to pick the players that you believe will help you most in the future.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Idk if I'd call Florida's D with size and length, ekblad is the only guy I can think of that fits that description. I do generally agree it's an important element to the game and one we have need for though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad