Prospect Info: [2024 - 78th] Logan Sawyer (F)- Brooks Bandits (BCHL) - Committed to Providence College

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Then Rush will need to come out of retirement and make a song about Logan.
Kid is going to get a world class education while playing ice hockey. Make no mistake here, he chose where he would play collegiate ice hockey.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I know that, but I'm wondering why cant he make the jump right now? Too raw? Too young?

Edit : B Tkachuk was already in college when drafted iirc, so can't be because of age?
Brady was a late birthday. Although recently some prospects have fasttracked school to go early with mixed results (Celebrini, Poehling off the top of my head).

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Updated the OP adding Logan Sawyer to the NCAA section after D'Amico confirmed he will play at Providence College.

It was already known he will go, but after the initial reports, D'Amico checked in and said the decision wasn't made yet.

Now he confirms that he will play in the NCAA.
Weird because Providence had him on their roster for weeks.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I’m higher on him after the draft recap.

They had a lot of interesting point

Recently watched it too, alongside some Brooks Bandits games.

I've only watched 4 games but in those I've come to really like Sawyer's nonstop motor, his skating, and his ability to quickly make decisions with the puck on his stick. I also think Sawyer has some nice hands and a good overall skill base to build from, which could lead to him blooming into a solid pro if he develops well.

On the negative side, Sawyer seemed quite bad defensively from the little I saw, his boardwork was similarly far from efficient.

To my eyes, Sawyer's shot also looked mediocre (though I did like his release), and he overall plain looked like a textbook "raw" prospect with the slight passing inaccuracies that make ensuing plays harder than they needed to be, the slightly-off timing/angles of his puck pursuit, and more besides.

Overall, I'd say that Sawyer is a longer-term project of a "middle-6 forward" prospect that we won't see for at least 3-4 years in the AHL/NHL even if he develops properly.

So yeah, I can definitely see why we picked Sawyer when we did despite the obvious flaws, and I'll be cheering for him to do well at Providence next year.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Thought the comment from Bobrov about Sawyer splitting his focus between lacrosse and hockey was interesting. I wonder how long that went on for.

Reactions: Guess

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I would have preferred one of these choices:Wetsch,Zarubin,Pikkarainen,Marques,Lavoie,Jecho ,Pridman,Blais,Poirier or Missa

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Joe Nieuwendyk was a heck of a lacrosse player, before going full time with hockey, it did wonders for his hand eye coordination. Here's hoping Sawyer will benefit from the dual sports thing as well.
It's a shame kids are being pigeonholed into one sport at such young ages.. there are so many benefits to multi-sports before 13yo.. development of all muscles, movement and balance.. creative/abstract thinking and most importantly keeping fresh.

The very best NHLers are multi-sport athletes.. most could be a star in any sport (soccer incl)..

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Martin Lapointe (Montreal Canadiens Director of Player Personnel and Amateur Scouting): ''Sawyer's the steal of the draft!''

Nick Brobov (Montreal Canadiens Co-Director of Recruiting): ''Sawyer has the brains and talent of a future top-6 NHL player!''

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Like I said when Habs drafted him, the tools impressive me a lot. He have great skillset. That's why he is the most intriguing prospect we drafted after Demidov and Hage.

I think Habs did very well with their late picks. Koivu, Sawyer, Protz and Thorpe. Looks all very intriguing!!

• Haha
Reactions: Addik04 and 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy