Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
They just hired this guy to come along. He’s got a lot of particular skills that can help

View attachment 918894

Polish-20241020-123107361.png

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
SKA is second in their division, one point back, they have the third or fourth best record in the KHL last I saw and the second best offense in the league. Also one of the best goal differentials.

They are actually a top 3 KHL team at the moment.

Edit: the issue they have is kuznetsov has asked to play with demidov. Thus why when kuz is out demidov doesn’t play. SKA is a tough veteran top khl team if it wasn’t for kuz, demidov would be in the junior leagues, they can’t loan him out in the last year of his contract.
If Demidov is demoted to get TOI in the VHL, Demidov is happy, we’re happy, everyone’s happy. Why would SKA do this? They were benching him for leverage to sign him. If he plays in the VHL or elsewhere SKA loses all leverage.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Management will want to see players live too so this "they can just watch him from anywhere" doesn't make sense

But doesn't it seem like travelling to a hostile country like Russia, which involves flying through other countries and having no consulate support isn't worth it to simply get a live viewing?

And even then, why the GM, why not send some Russian scouts or something?

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
But doesn't it seem like travelling to a hostile country like Russia, which involves flying through other countries and having no consulate support isn't worth it to simply get a live viewing?

I agree, Hughes and Gorton are cooking something because it smells fishy. And I’m not talking about salmon here. I get a feel they are going there to test the water about Demidov contract situation.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I'm sure they'd like to see for themselves how he's doing rather than take the word of their scouts. He's arguably the most valuable piece in the organization so they'd like to see an in-person viewing.

To counter this, why would they even go there in person if this trip is to bring Demidov to NA? Why not just buy his plane tickets or have others pick him up?

Reactions: Canadienna

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I'm sure they'd like to see for themselves how he's doing rather than take the word of their scouts. He's arguably the most valuable piece in the organization so they'd like to see an in-person viewing.

To counter this, why would they even go there in person if this trip is to bring Demidov to NA? Why not just buy his plane tickets or have others pick him up?
I think this is one of the rare case where you don't need in-person viewings to get a good idea of his current play. He's a superstar. He'd be amazing in the NHL right now. Why run any risks by travelling?

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
They have to bring the suitcase full of cash for SKA? :sarcasm:
I'm not sure what the Flyers did but NHL rules seem to prohibit this. There might be workarounds I don't know. But for the right price SKA will let him go for sure. They'll be happy to take the cash.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Because they need to talk to him and find out what he wants to do.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I love the development of Rotenberg being Rotenberg and all the people who chose to character assassinate a certain young man for the same reasons looking like absolute fools.
We shouldn't assume any Russian has character issues based on how they are used/treated in the KHL. That said Michkov's treatment was clearly for a different reason the Demidov's because they had different contract situations, but it's the KHL they aren't limited to only 1 type of dumb petty reasons, so it's likely with Michkov to simply be a different dumb reason to not want to play the guy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Michkov bad guy Demidov good guy

Not sure why this is so hard for some fans to understand
Hage so strong for living out his dream despite losing his dad.
Michkov ? Meh.

We shouldn't assume any Russian has character issues based on how they are used/treated in the KHL. That said Michkov's treatment was clearly for a different reason the Demidov's because they had different contract situations, but it's the KHL they aren't limited to only 1 type of dumb petty reasons, so it's likely with Michkov to simply be a different dumb reason to not want to play the guy.
What do you mean the contract situation wasn't the same ? Michkov expressed he wanted to leave and be in the NHL and he made it in the NHL in the same time frame as Demidov is supposed to be in the NHL. It's exactly the same reason and I love how stupid most people look in here.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
If all you want to do is talk to Demidov about the end of the season, you could do that over the phone or skype. The only reason to go to RUSSIA is to go face to face with the ska ok so HOW MUCH to let Demidov fly back with Gorton and Hughes right now. Humm 1 million or 2 or is Putin gets involved he might want 1-2 billion and 5 tons of Plutonium ready to go.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If all you want to do is talk to Demidov about the end of the season, you could do that over the phone or skype. The only reason to go to RUSSIA is to go face to face with the ska ok so HOW MUCH to let Demidov fly back with Gorton and Hughes right now. Humm 1 million or 2 or is Putin gets involved he might want 1-2 billion and 5 tons of Plutonium ready to go.
Skype, lmao.

Showing your age.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What do you mean the contract situation wasn't the same ? Michkov expressed he wanted to leave and be in the NHL and he made it in the NHL in the same time frame as Demidov is supposed to be in the NHL. It's exactly the same reason and I love how stupid most people look in here.
Michkov's contract was for 4 seasons after the draft, Demidov's was for 1. They weren't in the same situation at all, SKA is trying to pressure Demidov into signing an extension, something they weren't doing with Michkov because Michkov was already signed for more years.

Reactions: nicehiss

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And any device Demidov has could be bugged. Better to have the discussion somewhere it can't be monitored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad