Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Can't believe our beloved club managed to snag this gem. A part of me is just waiting for some kind of disaster to derail it all lmao.

So hyped for the future, damn it feels good.

I can't believe aswell. This guy is the most closer prospect to Celebrini in this draft. The chance of Demidov being the better player, is also there.

Drafting that type of talent at 5, it's a pure luck. Because in some draft that's worth a 1st overall pick and many draft, easily a #2 pick. We got that at 5.

That's change everything to the rebuild, Demidov make MTL so much better in the future, he will be a gamebreaker like Slafkovsky. Just need to see Kirby Dach healthy, please.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Sincr 1971 I am trying to make a list of the best pure talent in the first round that we drafted at the time of their draft.

I am not talking about thier career after ward cause some were a deception ( Galchenyuk )

1- Guy Lafleur
2- Ivan Demidov
3- Doug Wickeneiser
4- Juraj Slafkovsky
5- Alex GALCHENYUK
6- Carey Price
7- Petr Svoboda
8 - Saku Koivu
9- - Mark Napper
10- Andrei Kostsyn
11- Alfie Turcotte

That would be my list I guess. As you can see...as fans...it was painful sometimes...but we are seeing the light with Demidov and Slaf

To sum up the biggest pure offensive talent we believed we drafted on draft day for 42 years (between Wickenheiser (1980) and Slafkovsky (2022)) was Alex Galchenyuk!

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
i also posted this little nugget on main board to shut up the trolls...from arpon basu

But there is more information to be found with boots on the ground, and the Canadiens were very fortunate to have the boots of co-director of amateur scouting Nick Bobrov, a Russian citizen, on the ground to watch Ivan Demidov.
Not only did Bobrov meet several times with Demidov and his family, but he got to see a side of him that does in fact shine through on video, but is only accentuated when you are there in perso
“I guess the one thing is seeing him practice, and how hard he works, how relentless he is on and off the ice, how much time he spends on his craft,” Bobrov said Saturday after the completion of Day 2 of the draft. “We have other kids, other players who work so relentlessly on their craft that it’s almost too much. Ivan falls into that category of when you watch him play games, it’s exciting. But when you watch him work in practice, you get even more excited because he would be in a very unique category of people who just never stop. So that’s very impressive.”
There were a few teams who were able to get decision-makers into Russia, which is a massive commitment. Western credit cards don’t work in Russia due to financial sanctions over the ongoing war in Ukraine. Crossing the border into Russia is not a simple process by any stretch. And then there’s the inherent chaos of being in a country at war.
This is part of the reason why the Canadiens are this excited about Demidov. They saw sides of him that most other teams didn’t. And it also helps explain why meeting with him in Florida last week at the Gold Star showcase event was less important to them than hiding their intentions so close to the draft.
When Kent Hughes mentioned Friday night that the Canadiens had Demidov on their radar last year when they took David Reinbacher at No. 5 instead of a forward, that was only part of the story. Bobrov’s father, Sergei, has been a scout for SKA Saint Petersburg for 15 years. He had insight on Matvei Michkov most other teams did not have, and he also had insight on Demidov.
He’s been on the Canadiens’ radar for far longer than one year.
“We’ve known Ivan for a number of years now because of my dad’s position and knowing young players in that organization is a big part of his job,” Bobrov said. “So we knew the kid, the family really well. I was fortunate enough to get there a couple of times and spend time with him and his family. We felt that we might have a chance at him, but not a significant one. It worked out, and clearly he was very happy to end up in Montreal. His family was looking forward to that.
“Part of the reason he wanted to be in Montreal was because he loves pressure. He embraces pressure and thrives on it. Sometimes we ask kids whether or not they will be OK playing in this city. He was begging for it. So that’s a good sign.”
That last part is the kicker. Demidov embracing pressure is a big part of what the Canadiens look for.
“His ceiling is as high as some of the best players in the league,” Bobrov said. “And he expects nothing less than that from himself, which is the most important part.”
Director of scouting Martin Lapointe called Demidov “the steal of the draft.” Bobrov said that was “an understatement.” The Canadiens are over the moon about this pick, this player, and the additional information Bobrov was able to gather on the ground is a big reason why.
Little nugget? More like little bible ffs!

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Frankly, I don't understand all the abuse McCagg receives around here. Every prognosticator is going to blow hot and cold. That said, McCagg 's record seems to be way better than most.
He took a lot of hate around here for arguying with people about McLeod instead of Sergachev. He was cocky and people never moved on

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
i also posted this little nugget on main board to shut up the trolls...from arpon basu

But there is more information to be found with boots on the ground, and the Canadiens were very fortunate to have the boots of co-director of amateur scouting Nick Bobrov, a Russian citizen, on the ground to watch Ivan Demidov.
Not only did Bobrov meet several times with Demidov and his family, but he got to see a side of him that does in fact shine through on video, but is only accentuated when you are there in perso
“I guess the one thing is seeing him practice, and how hard he works, how relentless he is on and off the ice, how much time he spends on his craft,” Bobrov said Saturday after the completion of Day 2 of the draft. “We have other kids, other players who work so relentlessly on their craft that it’s almost too much. Ivan falls into that category of when you watch him play games, it’s exciting. But when you watch him work in practice, you get even more excited because he would be in a very unique category of people who just never stop. So that’s very impressive.”
There were a few teams who were able to get decision-makers into Russia, which is a massive commitment. Western credit cards don’t work in Russia due to financial sanctions over the ongoing war in Ukraine. Crossing the border into Russia is not a simple process by any stretch. And then there’s the inherent chaos of being in a country at war.
This is part of the reason why the Canadiens are this excited about Demidov. They saw sides of him that most other teams didn’t. And it also helps explain why meeting with him in Florida last week at the Gold Star showcase event was less important to them than hiding their intentions so close to the draft.
When Kent Hughes mentioned Friday night that the Canadiens had Demidov on their radar last year when they took David Reinbacher at No. 5 instead of a forward, that was only part of the story. Bobrov’s father, Sergei, has been a scout for SKA Saint Petersburg for 15 years. He had insight on Matvei Michkov most other teams did not have, and he also had insight on Demidov.
“We’ve known Ivan for a number of years now because of my dad’s position and knowing young players in that organization is a big part of his job,” Bobrov said. “So we knew the kid, the family really well. I was fortunate enough to get there a couple of times and spend time with him and his family. We felt that we might have a chance at him, but not a significant one. It worked out, and clearly he was very happy to end up in Montreal. His family was looking forward to that.
“Part of the reason he wanted to be in Montreal was because he loves pressure. He embraces pressure and thrives on it. Sometimes we ask kids whether or not they will be OK playing in this city. He was begging for it. So that’s a good sign.”
That last part is the kicker. Demidov embracing pressure is a big part of what the Canadiens look for.
“His ceiling is as high as some of the best players in the league,” Bobrov said. “And he expects nothing less than that from himself, which is the most important part.”
Director of scouting Martin Lapointe called Demidov “the steal of the draft.” Bobrov said that was “an understatement.” The Canadiens are over the moon about this pick, this player, and the additional information Bobrov was able to gather on the ground is a big reason why.
So they were all pissed drunk, still basking in the booze, chicks and glory the next morning when the 2nd day of the draft started. Which explains some picks maybe. 🤭

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I'm a regular on here. I would post hundreds of comments after every single event that would concern the Habs. But, right now, I happen to be out of a voice. There's not a sound coming out. Everything I wanted has come true. There's nothing left to say. Ladies and gentlemen... we got him.

For the first time in my life : the Habs drafted the best forward available. I'll never be as happy as I am now, unless the Habs win a cup.
Yep, it's an even greater feeling than when we got Caufield.

Reactions: Toene

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

People felt there was no scrutiny the year before for he who shan't be named.
Meanwhile we hear about how they identified Demidov last year as a player we would watching like a hawk.
It seems to me that when the Habs like a player said player is give all kinds of attention.
That probably means the truth of the matter is we had little to no interest in the other dude.

You know what they told us all along. :dunno:

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Michkov vs Demidov

Michkov is an ultra-opportunistic player. He pops out of nowhere and scores. He's super efficient and never makes a movement more than he needs. He can somehow hit a stick to stick pass at will when covered on 360 degrees. Aside from the Michigan, not flashy. He does have character issues. I'll have my popcorn ready watching him and Torts.

Demidov scores and produces on pure skill. He's creative. Looks like a magician. People will pay just to watch him. Despite not scoring, he looks much more at ease than Michkov in the little KHL's he's done. But in the end Michkov is a rat that feasts on whatever you give him, even in the KHL. Demidov fills that niche that Michkov would have filled. But two completely different players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91 and Jaynki

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Damn, never felt like this after any draft since I’ve been following it since 2006. 2 days since the draft and I still have a smile when I look at the thread title on the main page. So hyped for next year! Don’t let us down Demidov. If all goes well, you’re going to be a King in Montreal.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Damn, never felt like this after any draft since I’ve been following it since 2006. 2 days since the draft and I still have a smile when I look at the thread title on the main page. So hyped for next year! Don’t let us down Demidov. If all goes well, you’re going to be a King in Montreal.

His passing and vision are a 10/10, Slaf and Nick are going to be in good hands, but what to do with Cole now? 8+ mill for a second line winger if Demidov lives up to expectations and Slaf can play either wing? Does this still work out for Cole?

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Caufield Hage Dach

Not exactly chopped liver.

It's an expensive 2nd line winger, and Hage is probably 3 years away. Hage hasn't proved anything and lets be honest Dach hasn't yet either except injuries. I think this will be an issue to have that amount of money tied up on the wing and not up the middle for the second line. You don't think so?

Reactions: Nicko999

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It's an expensive 2nd line winger, and Hage is probably 3 years away. Hage hasn't proved anything and lets be honest Dach hasn't yet either except injuries. I think this will be an issue to have that amount of money tied up on the wing and not up the middle for the second line. You don't think so?

It is but you could also say Suzuki is a cheap 1wt line C going forward. For me, it all depends on the Slaf contract. If that's around Suzuki also, it's an absolute W cap wise. Habs gonna have to convince all their players to take reasonable contracts. Thank goodness for kent Hughes

Reactions: HabzSauce

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
His passing and vision are a 10/10, Slaf and Nick are going to be in good hands, but what to do with Cole now? 8+ mill for a second line winger if Demidov lives up to expectations and Slaf can play either wing? Does this still work out for Cole?
You trade Cole if he gets pushed down the line-up and the team need cap space...

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It is but you could also say Suzuki is a cheap 1wt line C going forward. For me, it all depends on the Slaf contract. If that's around Suzuki also, it's an absolute W cap wise. Habs gonna have to convince all their players to take reasonable contracts. Thank goodness for kent Hughes

I think you overpay for C not wingers though, just my opinion, I get what you are saying though

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
You won’t be able to get as good of a 75 + points/40 goals player for less than 7.8m, So no it’s not expensive.

You just brushed off Dach and Hage who are very good and legit options to say we don’t have players up the middle?

Demidov could play center and becoming habs number 1 center for all we know

Reactions: Gustave and Jaynki

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Don't really see the issue there tbh. Assuming Dach gets back from injuries - big if, but - and Demidov is the guy we think he is, there's plenty of pairings that work. Slaf / Suzuki stays on the same line, ideally with an Hyman type player they move for, you get the three on the second line. Or first line stays the same and Demidov plays with Dach. Or Slaf and Dach play together, they were promising even in a year Slaf was really searching himself.

This is part of why I really like the pick, he projects well into what we have. Clearly there's a focus in making the offence more multifaceted which is beyond needed, and Demidov was probably the best pick for that.

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Demidov and Hutson on the power play is going to be something else. I honestly have never been so excited as a fan, we have finally turned a corner. The next few years are going to be amazing to watch as a fan, something special is being built.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
MHL is in the same tier of USHL. Demidov at 17 years old put 2 pts per game, Jack Hughes at 17 years old in USHL, put 2 pts per game, but... play with Boldy, Zegras and Caufield.

That's impressive.

Screenshot_20240629_222034_Chrome.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad