U17: 2024 5 Nations - Slovakia Aug. 14-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Well after an amazing Hlinka this is kinda reality check .... Losing to swiss is just not acceptable .. given what players we have in the team we should have completely smoked them

Embarrassing defeat, nothing less

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Its a decent age group for Switzerland particularly in regard to forward depth. And some of the best forwards were not even on the roster. So it doesnt suprise me, that they can at least hang with the Czechs for now.
Yeah. Sauthier, Troxler, Bouvard and Bosshard are excellent prospects in their own rights but most of the top Swiss forward prospects eligible aren't on the roster. No Domenichelli, Neuenschwander, Rohrbach, Schürmann, Lutz, Zambaz, Schoch, Bonito or Cabré. Of the real big names, Troxler and Sauthier are the lone ones on the roster. I guess it's a good sign that the team is still competitive even with so many kids missing.

Reactions: Speyer

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah. Sauthier, Troxler, Bouvard and Bosshard are excellent prospects in their own rights but most of the top Swiss forward prospects eligible aren't on the roster. No Domenichelli, Neuenschwander, Rohrbach, Schürmann, Lutz, Zambaz, Schoch, Bonito or Cabré. Of the real big names, Troxler and Sauthier are the lone ones on the roster. I guess it's a good sign that the team is still competitive even with so many kids missing.

Well Neuenschwander and Domenichelli are 09 born and the SIHF doesnt seem to select underagers anymore to the junior national teams before the U18 WJC at this point. But in this case, I think it makes sense to leave them with the U16 team since the F corps is pretty good and deep as it is and you would have to deprive some decent 08 born players a spot.

Then besides the prospects you named there was also Liam Dubé (Christians son) missing who is also one of the best centers of the class. He was playing for last years U16 team, but wasnt nominated for this tournament. I dont know if its a passport issue or he is hurt but under normal circumstances you would expect him to be on the roster as well.

Last edited:

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Svk 3:5 Sui

Switzerland was a much better team I don't even know how the score ended so close.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice to see the goals coming.lol.

Kachlir, ruml, katolicky.. seems like we have some good players coming up!

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Nice to see the goals coming.lol.

Kachlir, ruml, katolicky.. seems like we have some good players coming up!
If we take into account the other results, the overall tone is spoiled by the first game, which we should not have lost. But they are very young guys and they made up for this failure in the rest of the tournament. Although it doesn't look like it from the number of shots on goal, in the five-on-five game today against the USA, we were clearly better most of the time (at least from the second period that I saw in the match) and we deservedly won. Which is always appreciated, even if it's not a USNTDP pick, there are always top players who will go high in the draft. It looks like the 08 year will also be of relatively good quality.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Shaeffer Gordon-Carroll, yes.

Should've made the NTDP. Still can't believe they didn't pick him.

The rare hockey player from Salt Lake City, so he's a lock to be drafted by Utah.
Will he be playing in Medicine Hat next year?

Looks like the rich could be getting richer.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shit. This Swiss team did very well despite the absence of most of the big names. Impressive. The depth of the 08 class seems to be quite good, especially compared to the 07 class which is very thin and top heavy.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA's forwards for this team are insanely deep. Like 8-10 guys with draft potential. Unfortunately the goaltenders and defensemen might only have a 1-2 draft picks max, but not a bad team this year by any means.

1. C Jack Hextall (2026)
2. LW Noah Davidson (2027)
3. RW Kalder Varga (2026)
4. C Shaeffer Gordon-Carroll (2027)
5. RW William Bent (2026)
6. RW Cole Bumgarner (2026)
7. RD Levi Harper (2027)
8. RW Joseph Salandra (2026)
9. LW Luke Puchner (2026)
10. C Caden Harvey (2026)
11. G Xavier Wendt (2026)

Reactions: Goodman68

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
USA's forwards for this team are insanely deep. Like 8-10 guys with draft potential. Unfortunately the goaltenders and defensemen might only have a 1-2 draft picks max, but not a bad team this year by any means.

1. C Jack Hextall (2026)
2. LW Noah Davidson (2027)
3. RW Kalder Varga (2026)
4. C Shaeffer Gordon-Carroll (2027)
5. RW William Bent (2026)
6. RW Cole Bumgarner (2026)
7. RD Levi Harper (2027)
8. RW Joseph Salandra (2026)
9. LW Luke Puchner (2026)
10. C Caden Harvey (2026)
11. G Xavier Wendt (2026)
Was going to post this in the Prospects section but then saw this nice little ranking, so I'll pose the question here...

@Pavel Buchnevich What do you think about this crop of non-NTDP guys compared to the '07's we just watched at the Hlinka? Obviously, a lot can happen in a year and some guys will pop and others will fade but I would assume these will be lots of the names that form next year's Hlinka team.

Seems almost inverted from your reports...the '07's having some really intriguing, toolsy blueliners but lacking severely in talent and skill up front. There seem to be a pretty impressive non-NTDP forwards among the '08's with some real skill (some very projectable) - but at least at this tournament, the blueline group doesn't exactly wow with upside.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Was going to post this in the Prospects section but then saw this nice little ranking, so I'll pose the question here...

@Pavel Buchnevich What do you think about this crop of non-NTDP guys compared to the '07's we just watched at the Hlinka? Obviously, a lot can happen in a year and some guys will pop and others will fade but I would assume these will be lots of the names that form next year's Hlinka team.

Seems almost inverted from your reports...the '07's having some really intriguing, toolsy blueliners but lacking severely in talent and skill up front. There seem to be a pretty impressive non-NTDP forwards among the '08's with some real skill (some very projectable) - but at least at this tournament, the blueline group doesn't exactly wow with upside.
I would be interested to know how many of this team that played in this tournament (or maybe even from the one that played at HGC) would have made it to the US A selection..? Of course, the question also applies to other American fans, including Pavel Buchnevich:)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah, I think you have it right. Last year was defensemen, this year is forwards. I think this team was a little better.

We saw most of the NTDP defensemen at the YOG (they didn’t really change that part of the roster much), and that defense was very weak, so it’s probably that there aren’t many good American defensemen and this could be a position of weakness for the WJC20 team in their 19 year old year and probably for the NTDP at the WJC18 in their 17 year old year.

What surprised me was the forwards. Can only imagine how good the NTDP guys must be if 4-5 of these guys were left off.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would be interested to know how many of this team that played in this tournament (or maybe even from the one that played at HGC) would have made it to the US A selection..? Of course, the question also applies to other American fans, including Pavel Buchnevich:)
Always tough to say before the NTDP 17’s start their season. We saw some of them at the YOG, but not all have participated yet for USAH or in juniors.

I would say maybe 7 players. The whole first line (Davidson, Hextall, Varga). Gordon-Carroll, Bent, and Bumgarner are other forwards that would likely be in the A selection. Then I think Harper from the defense would make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad