Prospect Info: [2024] 4th rd selection - #120 OA - LD, Victor Johansson - Leksands IF, J20 Nationell (5′11″ - 156/159 lb. Updated Weight)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’d like to see some video of him. His description of himself as a 2 way defenseman with a physical competitive style. Love the attitude. Weight jokes aside, he sounds like maybe a Gunnarsson comparison in a few years.

In the interview he cited Niklas Kronwall as an influence. You can’t really be Kronwall with 147 pounds but if he puts on weight and or height it will be very interesting to see how his game evolves.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I basically saw a Gunnarsson in terms of play style from the scrimmage. He skated well, seemed aggressve in the neutral zone and didn't do anything that stood out negatively. We'll see how he does this season I guess.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Does he have any brothers ?
Two brothers.
6'2" - 25 years old, 194 lb.
6'4" - 20 years old, 196 lb.

All play pro.

And the olde man.

horner

May 22, 2007
Two brothers.

All play pro.

And the olde man.

Thanks

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Two brothers.

All play pro.

And the olde man.

All fair sized dudes in that house. I was wondering what they feed the kid.
High metabolism maybe, he’ll put on the pounds.
Most intrigue cloaked player the Leafs have drafted since I don’t know.

Reactions: WillNy29

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
That comment is not a self assessment.

He could very confident in himself and ability to be an impact player but also self aware that he needs to bulk up.

I swear the reading comprehension for some posters are pretty low.

Agree with your point - and would go further to say I don't take his quote as a self assessment. He was not talking about his potential, confidence in himself, or skill set. Sounds like he is self aware that he needs to bulk up and did not have the stats this past season to make him believe he would be drafted. That is not him saying he doubts he is good enough to make it.

I have to believe the leafs scouts did their home work and spoke with Victor and decided he has the right raw skills and attitude to potentially make it. Realistically a 4th rounder has a pretty small chance of making it and they must believe he has a chance.
It's nice to know you can read minds. There's clearly nothing wrong with your implication and assumption making skills. You go from saying something "could" be the case to then speaking authoritatively (and condescendingly) as if your speculation definitely is the case. lol

It's equally possible that he really did believe he would go later based on his own assessment of where he was compared to his peers. It's not like he would have been alone in that assessment or that it would have been without merit. He was unranked on any of the major lists, and respected prospect commentators speaking to scouts in the know have also said that they didn't expect him to go that high.

Just because you chose to interpret his comments as him being "humble" and "reflective" that doesn't make it the case, especially given the fact that his own statement is consistent with the opinion of many other people in the business. Listening to his interview you can just as easily interpret his comments as genuine surprise from guiless young kid without much media training about how he's supposed to answer, than as some savvy response demonstrating his self-awareness and intellect.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Two brothers.

All play pro.

And the olde man.

That explains why he was drafted in the fourth round. The leafs think he’s still growing and will fill out. Could be a sleeper pick.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad