Prospect Info: 2024 46th Overall - Tanner Howe (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
There it is. I was getting concerned nobody was bitching about this pick yet. Seems so out of character for this board.
Man. I was bitching from the bat! Lack of production increase concerning. Plus being a checking forward w/o upside also not impressive. As i said. You don't take Bobby Farnham in the 2nd round

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Man. I was bitching from the bat! Lack of production increase concerning. Plus being a checking forward w/o upside also not impressive. As i said. You don't take Bobby Farnham in the 2nd round
You don’t take stupid internet comparables like that at face value either. Farnham is an undrafted college player who never scored.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
There it is. I was getting concerned nobody was bitching about this pick yet. Seems so out of character for this board.
I’m honestly devastated by our 2nd round picks. I just do not like either of them. I’m shocked Dubas would go in those directions. I can see him maybe wanted Brunicke but I just don’t get it.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I’m honestly devastated by our 2nd round picks. I just do not like either of them. I’m shocked Dubas would go in those directions. I can see him maybe wanted Brunicke but I just don’t get it.
Thankfully they don't consult random people on the internet for their uninformed draft opinions.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Probably best to tune out lots of things surrounding this team for 3-4 years. It'll be painful. Just gotta hope we hit on the picks and aptly develop our prospects.

Reactions: The Old Master

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Lack of production? Dude was PPG and led his team in scoring by 25 points
He regressed in scoring!
If he has to play with Bedard talent to up his numbers isn't that a concern? Is he a passenger feeding off otherw?

I have some bad news for you...
We don't have a Bedard and by the time this pick might be ready for NHL we probably won't have Sid or Geno either.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
He regressed in scoring!
If he has to play with Bedard talent to up his numbers isn't that a concern? Is he a passenger feeding off otherw?

We don't have a Bedard and by the time this pick might be ready for NHL we probably won't have Sid or Geno either.
Its really not as a big of a deal as you are making it. I dont think you realize how much guys like Bedard impact their team mate. The regression in points is a non factor.

I can understand feeling like this about a top-5 pick but devastated about 2nd round picks in a meh draft?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Absolutely love the pick. I thought he'd be a late 1st for sure so the fact he fell to us is huge IMHO. Styistically, a very good complement to what we currently have.

Howe-Yager/Pono-Koivunen is a well rounded, nicely balanced line.

Very happy right now with this.
Yea that could be a fun transitional team to watch centered around those 4.

Reactions: SEALBound

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
SCOUTING REPORT
Many eyes are on Howe to gauge his play and production without Connor Bedard stirring the Regina Pat's attack, and will now be the focus of the opposition's defensive attention. This season he is challenged at playing his most effective game as he now is the focal point at both ends of the opposition's checks. He is a good skater who can make sharp cuts and changes in direction to gain separation in tight areas. You could argue he is the best player in the Dub at making five to ten foot slip passes. He also has good instincts, hands and vision in his offensive zone game. He has no qualms about getting involved physically. The question will be can he generate his own chances without Bedard drawing double & triple teams. So far, he has kept an aggressive physicality and mentality still showing his opportunistic play as an elite distributor over being the gun, and projects as a smaller middle six attacker.
..... upside not what i was hoping for

Reactions: Ulf5

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I like that we got someone who has a bit of sandpaper to their game. Not stoked we picked a bland positional RD two spots before, but this is the first F prospect in a while whose style of play I like.

Reactions: The Old Master

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Thankfully they don't consult random people on the internet for their uninformed draft opinions.
I wouldn’t say I’m super uninformed. I’ve watched and rated prospects all year. My opinion is semi-uninformed thank you very much lol

I like your takes, can you elaborate?

I liked Brunicke, Howe is okay
Harrison Brunicke and Tanner Howe are just not the players in terms of play style and/or upside that I’d be looking for. They aren’t bad players. Both of them will probably get NHL games. There were just players I absolutely love that they could’ve picked.

I’m not sure if Harrison Brunicke can improve his decision making in order to justify him being picked here. Don’t get me wrong, he has good mobility, but I see a potential 5-6.

Tanner Howe could be a decent player. But, I just haven’t really seen it this year. We can look at the numbers and they don’t look bad, but I just don’t see him as a super productive player in the NHL.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He regressed in scoring!

Losing a Bedard is huge and it wasn't just him. Look at the guys on the team last year compared to this year. Guys you pick in the 2nd round aren't going to be putting on monster numbers on weak teams.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
SCOUTING REPORT
Many eyes are on Howe to gauge his play and production without Connor Bedard stirring the Regina Pat's attack, and will now be the focus of the opposition's defensive attention. This season he is challenged at playing his most effective game as he now is the focal point at both ends of the opposition's checks. He is a good skater who can make sharp cuts and changes in direction to gain separation in tight areas. You could argue he is the best player in the Dub at making five to ten foot slip passes. He also has good instincts, hands and vision in his offensive zone game. He has no qualms about getting involved physically. The question will be can he generate his own chances without Bedard drawing double & triple teams. So far, he has kept an aggressive physicality and mentality still showing his opportunistic play as an elite distributor over being the gun, and projects as a smaller middle six attacker.
..... upside not what i was hoping for
Getting a physical middle six forchecker who can score a bit in the 2nd round is fine and dandy

Reactions: Freeptop

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I wouldn’t say I’m super uninformed. I’ve watched and rated prospects all year. My opinion is semi-uninformed thank you very much lol

Harrison Brunicke and Tanner Howe are just not the players in terms of play style and/or upside that I’d be looking for. They aren’t bad players. Both of them will probably get NHL games. There were just players I absolutely love that they could’ve picked.

I’m not sure if Harrison Brunicke can improve his decision making in order to justify him being picked here. Don’t get me wrong, he has good mobility, but I see a potential 5-6.

Tanner Howe could be a decent player. But, I just haven’t really seen it this year. We can look at the numbers and they don’t look bad, but I just don’t see him as a super productive player in the NHL.
Yeah I know you pay a lot of attention to it all year every year. Was curious.

I think Brunicke is a lot of what I value. raw-er athlete on a decent curve.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Its really not as a big of a deal as you are making it. I dont think you realize how much guys like Bedard impact their team mate. The regression in points is a non factor.

I can understand feeling like this about a top-5 pick but devastated about 2nd round picks in a meh draft?
I had the guys I wanted the Pens to pick and they passed on them all. The difference between 20-50 in this draft is pretty small. Ton of talent on the board in the second round.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I know you pay a lot of attention to it all year every year. Was curious.

I think Brunicke is a lot of what I value. raw-er athlete on a decent curve.
Carolina picked two guys I would’ve been so happy to acquire right in the same range of picks we had. Dominik Badinka and Nikita Artamonov.

I can’t complain too much, at least we drafted one of my favorite players in Brayden Yager last year.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Carolina picked two guys I would’ve been so happy to acquire right in the same range of picks we had. Dominik Badinka and Nikita Artamonov.

I can’t complain too much, at least we drafted one of my favorite players in Brayden Yager last year.
I liked Badinka a lot.

Wasn’t huge on Artamonov the more I dug in. Guaranteed games but idk about upside. Maybe he hits in a Guentzel like way though just via brain

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00