Prospect Info: 2024 46th Overall - Tanner Howe (F)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I liked Badinka a lot.

Wasn’t huge on Artamonov the more I dug in. Guaranteed games but idk about upside. Maybe he hits in a Guentzel like way though just via brain
I just really like Artamonov’s style of play. Him, Teddy Stiga, Luke Misa. High motor players that give it all every shift. I don’t think they have crazy high upside, but those are the type of players I really like.

I really do think that Howe and Brunicke will play. I don’t think they were bad picks, but I was hoping they’d pick a player a bit more exciting and maybe take a real swing on upside (Artamonov, Stiga, Mustard, Masse, or Misa)

I’m really hoping we go for Mac Swanson, Alexander Zetterberg, or Luke Misa at 175.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
One thing people just looking at his numbers need to take in account is that he was on an island in Regina. Horrible team especially offensively. He had to create for himself.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I just really like Artamonov’s style of play. Him, Teddy Stiga, Luke Misa. High motor players that give it all every shift. I don’t think they have crazy high upside, but those are the type of players I really like.

I really do think that Howe and Brunicke will play. I don’t think they were bad picks, but I was hoping they’d pick a player a bit more exciting and maybe take a real swing on upside (Artamonov, Stiga, Mustard, Masse, or Misa)

I’m really hoping we go for Mac Swanson, Alexander Zetterberg, or Luke Misa at 175.
I didn’t even realize Misa is still out there. I thought you seemed pretty down on Swanson compared to many?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I didn’t even realize Misa is still out there. I thought you seemed pretty down on Swanson compared to many?
People had Swanson ranked way higher. I’ve always thought he was a very late round guy. If your team can get him 5th+ rounds, that’s a good pick. I’ve been almost certain from the beginning that he’ll likely go undrafted. So, maybe no with 175, but he should definitely be looked at as an option later on.

Luke Misa or Christian Humphreys would be a big mistake not to take as long they’re available at 175. Humphreys is from Pittsburgh as well.

Reactions: SomeDude

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
At first blush he's a rat with good enough numbers that the pure projectors like him. I've heard of worse ideas in the second round.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Seeing Gallagher thrown around as a comparison. I have absolutely no problem drafting someone like that or Ruutu in the second. Guys like that are impossible to trade for, you can only hope you draft one.

Reactions: Turin and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seeing Gallagher thrown around as a comparison. I have absolutely no problem drafting someone like that or Ruutu in the second. Guys like that are impossible to trade for, you can only hope you draft one.

Yeah. I can't help but notice that after franchise talent, probably the two hardest things to find in the NHL are pests who can play and big NHL dmen who can skate and do it all, and Dubas has taken swings at both. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah. I can't help but notice that after franchise talent, probably the two hardest things to find in the NHL are pests who can play and big NHL dmen who can skate and do it all, and Dubas has taken swings at both. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.
Yeah, like it or not, pests are legitimate roles worth filling in the NHL and I'm glad we finally got one in the system.

Reactions: wej20

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Guys like those two, Brandon Tanev, Ridley Grieg, are extremely well liked by casual fans and sell jerseys. Regardless of your team’s status as a contender.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pests are great…just not in the second round

But pretty much nobody is saying he's only a pest. His numbers give him a good projection and his clips show skill.

The biggest knock I see on him is that his numbers went down without Bedard but honestly I think it's hugely impressive they only dropped so little. Two of the other top five scorers for the Pats last year also left before the season, and the third was traded in-season, leaving Howe very literally on an island compared to last year.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But pretty much nobody is saying he's only a pest. His numbers give him a good projection and his clips show skill.

The biggest knock I see on him is that his numbers went down without Bedard but honestly I think it's hugely impressive they only dropped so little. Two of the other top five scorers for the Pats last year also left before the season, and the third was traded in-season, leaving Howe very literally on an island compared to last year.

I think he projects as a bottom six forward from everything I’m reading…we need to swing for top six in round 2

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think he projects as a bottom six forward from everything I’m reading…we need to swing for top six in round 2

Guess you didn't read the front page of this thread where the two outside opinions are 2nd liner and 18% chance of being a star (which is high) :naughty:

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Guess you didn't read the front page of this thread where the two outside opinions are 2nd liner and 18% chance of being a star (which is high) :naughty:
There were other opinions that suggested otherwise…we’ll see

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There were other opinions that suggested otherwise…we’ll see

Other opinions =/= everything you read though, presumably

I don't want to say there's some consensus he's amazing or anything. But there's not a consensus the other way. His consensus best case isn't Bobby Farnham, he's not some reach they took four rounds too early, and the rest of it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Really excited about this pick. Given the relative weakness of this draft and the other players that I wanted that didn't fall to us, I've very happy to have landed him.

Reactions: Dominance

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

Getting Swanson at pick #207 made your day. Zetterberg didn't get drafted and Misa got drafted by Calgary in the 5th round. He played with Finn Harding (Pens last pick this draft) in the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad