Prospect Info: 2024 44th Overall - Harrison Brunicke (D)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1719676428349.png

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
640px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

Interesting pick. Not sexy by any means, but definitely fits an organizational weakness.

Anyone complaining about where he projects in the line-up seems to be ignoring that kids in the mid-first were getting 3rd line/3rd pairing projections. There wasn't anyone on the board with obvious high-end potential that is anywhere near likely to reach it. Sure someone will inevitably jump out, but it's probably not going to be the guy you only heard of last week.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Think Bortuzzo is a UFA? Could gotten him for free instead. Since the upside here sounds like a 3rd pair d?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I'll be interesting to see how he develops versus a somewhat similar defenseman in Charlie Elick (who I think will be a safe pick for Columbus). I do like the amount of talent they're selecting from the WHL. It really is a hotbed for NHL caliber defensemen.

Reactions: Jacob

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hayes at least has some pedigree, and he was not good last year but Blues were not good as well. He is a potential top 6 center with Malkin moving to wing.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Good combination of size, skating and skill. Stepped his play up this season to earn a top-four role and be utilized in all situations. Good size and reach to defend and has an active stick to effectively disrupt the attack. Plays the body well and is willing to engage to defend himself and step up for his teammates. Good game handling and moving the puck in tight areas. Makes good zone exits and can dish the puck to either side. Likes to join the attack, and can generate offensive chances. Game is maturing and has made significant gains this year.” – NHL Central Scouting

“He’s a guy that has the potential to have a really long career as a pro, I think. He has tools that are transferable. I think he’s an intelligent player. I think as he matures physically – like he’s got good size already – but as he matures, physically, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with.” – Shaun Clouston, Blazers’ Head Coach

“There’s been a lot of interest in Brunicke as a potential late first-round pick in 2024. He’s an all-around defenceman who uses his speed and general fluid skating to win battles and rush the puck. I liked that he was willing to try riskier plays in games that were a bit more one-sided to push the limits of his passing, but he got himself into trouble at points, too. There aren’t many big flaws in his game, but he’s not spectacular in anything, either. Still, I know some scouts think there’s more to his game than he’s showing right now and that he could be a long-term riser in the next few years.” – Steven Ellis, Daily FaceOff

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wasn't super excited because he was mostly in the high 50s and 60s on most reports but then I remembered that f***ing everyone is everywhere so whatever.

Hadn't read up on him much but the more I read and more I watch, the more okay I am with him. Obviously someone we highly lack in the system.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Some of you like to spend 10 seconds checking Elite Prospects and then jump in and show your ass.

Brunnicke is immediately a better prospect than Pickering IMO, and I liked that pick.
Pickering is on a trajectory more towards a bust than some top 4 D tho... so this being a better pick is not exactly calming.
You don't pick players who can't even score at a high rate in juniors.
Then you get a 3rd pairing D, at best. You go for the high upside player, every time!They at least have a chance to become a top pair D.

Both kind of players can ofc amount to nothing, but i rather we get a star WHEN we hit thana bottom pair guy.

It's like finally winning the lottery. It better be a million, not 100 bucks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pickering is on a trajectory more towards a bust than some top 4 D tho... so this being a better pick is not exactly calming.
You don't pick players who can't even score at a high rate in juniors.
Then you get a 3rd pairing D, at best. You go for the high upside player, every time!They at least have a chance to become a top pair D.

Both kind of players can ofc amount to nothing, but i rather we get a star WHEN we hit thana bottom pair guy.

It's like finally winning the lottery. It better be a million, not 100 bucks
He's 20...and just finished his 3rd year in the WHL.

There is nothing that suggests he's heading towards bust territory. Is he making the jump from the WHL to the top pairing at the NHL level next year, no. Does that mean he's a bust? No.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
He's 20...and just finished his 3rd year in the WHL.

There is nothing that suggests he's heading towards bust territory. Is he making the jump from the WHL to the top pairing at the NHL level next year, no. Does that mean he's a bust? No.
I said close to bust than a contributor for us. It sounds like he hasn't progressed at all since we drafted him. Never took the next step offensively and didn't even make the WJC.

Not saying he's a sure bust. Bit looking more and more like a 5-6 D at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00