Prospect Info: 2024 39th OA: Gabriel Eliasson (LHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
"endless lust for violence" is exactly how I want my defensemen to be described, what's the problem here?

His knock is that he gets himself out of position trying to chase for the hit which allows the other team to score or dominate possession.

Hopefully coaching, maturity and development can eliminate some of his deficiencies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
His knock is that he gets himself out of position trying to chase for the hit which allows the other team to score or dominate possession.

Hopefully coaching, maturity and development can eliminate some of his deficiencies.
Nah probably not. He’s already 17
;)

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
As I predicted with Tyler Boucher, this new kid Gabriel Eliasson, will never play in NHL. Just utterly stupid, childish, irresponsible, unprofessional, asinine pick. There are no positives in that pick at all. The kid never learned how to play hockey, just liked to hit smaller kids and being a bully. In what universe it is ok to piss away a high second round pick, when you already as a franchise pissed away so many? How you help your team with this pick? In what sense? This kid will never see a dotted line to sign. Sens embarrassed themselves again and again, and again!
I'm inclined to agree.. from what little I've seen of him from the posted videos, he appears too slow to be an nhl player and has terrible pivot speed. He'll consistently be out of position playing the way he does if he ever makes the nhl.

They left too much potential skill on the board and gambled big time on this kid becoming a zdeno chara type player. Hopefully we get more footage of him playing to make a proper judgment call.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Or.....

You're wrong.
Like wtf is this chicken little bullshit. The sky isn't falling.

We took a 6'7 monster that crushes people and is one of the youngest in the draft.
He skates well and can play on his offside.

Hedging he'll never amount to anything sounds like sour grapes.
We have this convo like every second round

Reactions: senswon

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well, he was 18 when he was drafted unlike Eliasson...

I'm curious to see how this pick pans out, might be the youngest kid in the draft.
Exactly - his birthday is a week away from him being in next years draft.

He is raw, as they say, but I like the attempt to get bigger and meaner on our back end. We need some of those guys to compliment our group. I don't mind guys that can get the puck and move it out, but a few guys that can make forwards think a bit and simply box out and cause pain with their reach, let alone their physical play, is good.

Reactions: aragorn and senswon

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He fits the kind of hockey I like to watch like a glove so I am excited for this kid. His interview was great as well, seems like a bright kid.

Big mean Swedish defencemen has lots to like.

Reactions: Icelevel and OD99

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Imagine being drafted to the NHL. You search up teams forums and find your name with a thread, open it up and read your teams fans giving you zero shot,from day one. Sick motivation. Some of you guys need to get out more and soak in some sun, your negativity is next level.

He's a high risk pick. No gamble no future. I like we got a not so gentle giant. Could develop into a solid playoff warrior.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And yet we play Hamonic...

I think you're underrating what Boro was for us if you think he was just a 6/7 psycho.
I think intangibles definitely out weighed the tangibles.

But he certainly was a bottom pairing guy with sort of. It so great defensive results.

I’m not pro hamonic so take that up with management haha

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its kind of funny they loved this guy and didn't take Silayev who is virtually a sure bet to play in the NHL as soon as he wants to come over.

And then passed on Pulkkinen at 39.

The kid they took may very well turn out to be a beast of an NHL player but the two guys above are a few steps closer to being that.

A plus is he is he is supposed to head to the NCAA U Michigan for 25/26 and has another year to develop in Sweden before that

Last edited:
Reactions: Micklebot

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Imagine being drafted to the NHL. You search up teams forums and find your name with a thread, open it up and read your teams fans giving you zero shot,from day one. Sick motivation. Some of you guys need to get out more and soak in some sun, your negativity is next level.

He's a high risk pick. No gamble no future. I like we got a not so gentle giant. Could develop into a solid playoff warrior.

There's nothing we can say that several scouting publications haven't already

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chris Peters - Flo Hockey - June 3rd: "Eliasson is an enormous 6-foot-6, mean and physical defenseman. He’s a good skater for his size, too. His decision-making is poor and the offensive game is below average. Defensively, he knows what he’s doing and players with his frame and mobility will always be given a chance."

Sebastian High - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 20th: "Eliasson has played a mistake-riddled game all season long, but his foundation of violent physicality, size, and mobility give him a foundation that an NHL team will surely like to swing on and mould into a potential shutdown defender."

CapFriendly
Massive defender who plays to a consistent identity.
Average plus skater. Length assists with defending and keeping opponents to the perimeter.
Physical. Simple with the puck. Pushes back. Plays with an edge and presence.
Primary ice time at even strength and penalty-kill.
Very limited offensive upside.
Potential #7 or #6D

Dobber Prospects
A violent hulking defenseman who moves well but just about every habit in his game needs to progress significantly for him to reach an NHL caliber.

Elite Prospects
A towering defenceman with decent skating ability and an endless lust for violence.

please add any you see

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

His knock seems to be absolutely everything other than the hitting and the skating

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Its kind of funny they loved this guy and didn't take Silayev who is virtually a sure bet to play in the NHL as soon as he wants to come over.

And then passed on Pulkkinen at 39.

The kid they took may very well turn out to be a beast of an NHL player but the two guys above are a few steps closer to being that.

A plus is he is he is supposed to head to the NCAA U Michigan for 25/26 and has another year to develop in Sweden before that
They got two instead, Yakemchuk who is a high end offensive threat & yet very hard to play agaunst defensively & they got the big mean LD who is compared to Silayev some have wanted to protect our stars. I bet Stutzle is happy to have these guys coming, same for Norris, Greig, Chabot, Sanderson & Tkachuk won't need to be the guy constantly having to stand up for his teammates. They need more snarl on the backend, Silayev would have been great, but who knows if he could add the offence that Yachemchuk proved this yr he already has.

Reactions: LiseL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They got two instead, Yakemchuk who is a high end offensive threat & yet very hard to play agaunst defensively & they got the big mean LD who is compared to Silayev some have wanted to protect our stars. I bet Stutzle is happy to have these guys coming, same for Norris, Greig, Chabot, Sanderson & Tkachuk won't need to be the guy constantly having to stand up for his teammates. They need more snarl on the backend, Silayev would have been great, but who knows if he could add the offence that Yachemchuk proved this yr he already has.
I'm glad you got your guy Aragorn. Silayev would be a shut down D not an offensive guy they are 2 different animals.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm glad you got your guy Aragorn. Silayev would be a shut down D not an offensive guy they are 2 different animals.
Yes, I know that, were you expecting Silayev to have some offensive upside? He may, I'm not sure how much, but I expect that Yakemchuk would have a much higher offensive ceiling than Silayev which is why I expected Yakemchuk to go higher. Eliasson IMO will likely end up as strickly a defensive defenceman, although I don't know that for sure either. What I do know is that both will likely protect their teammates & stand up for themselves & be tough to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad