2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Has a terrible + - and has been a penalty machine. My guess, rotating him out for one game.
Really he’s been that bad? Has he not been on the top pairing with Desimone?

I find him being rotated out for whoever Van dee Leest is to be pretty unlikely with them missing players but I haven’t been following much.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
10/20/24 Utica Comets @ Toronto Marlies
4 p.m.

Forwards:
Hardman (39)/ Bowers (15)/ Stillman (61)
Foote (25)/ Dowling (10)/ Halonen (24)
Laberge (79)/ Engaras (16)/ Legare (11)
Willman (20)/ Schmelzer (26) Wendt (37)

D-Pairs:
White (6)/ DeSimone (57)
MacKinnon (3)/ Diotte (58)
van de Leest (55) Welinski (32)

Goal - Daws (50)

Toronto playing their 3rd game in 3 days.

After 10 minutes the SOG are 8-6 Marlies.

Marlie chances far outweigh the Comets, but Utica has had a couple chances in close while missing the net quite a few times already most notably Wendt from about 5 feet just off the left post rifled it wide to the opposite post.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets to the PP as Stillman is hooked from behind.

1 good chance and since cleared all the way down 3 straight times.
4 times.
5 times
6 times and it's over.
Terrible effort!

Toronto is turning this period around with real good opportunities they are blowing.

Marlies keeper Artur Akhtyamov is 2-0 with a 1.50 GAA and .955 Save%.

He makes a good stop and down the ice go the Marlies and score on a beautiful passing play.

Now Artur stones Stillman who is slashed on his effort.

Comets to PP #2.
Comets on the perimeter and missing the net when they do attempt a shot
Marlies control the puck in the Comets end on their PK.

Time runs out on period 1.
Marlies lead it 1-0
SOG 13-9 for the Marlies.

This is game #5 for the Marlies and they are 100% on their PK thus far and that number continues after killing 2 more today. 18 for 18 thus far.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Period 2 is underway

No Danill Misyul and the Marlies PBP wouldn't be interested in saying why the Utica scratches are out. I checked with the NJ media releases and haven't seen a report on a recall.

Did a NJ D-man get hurt last night?

TO continues to win puck battles which gives them a lot more puck possession. Willman backhander off the post.

TO comes right back and scores again. The same line as the 1st goal. Another passing play and the goal scorer was left all alone at the bottom of the circle on the cross ice pass and Daws had zero chance. Cedric Parre, the recipient of both final passe, has both goals.

Comets draw penalty #3 as Nylander is called for hooking.
PP #3 and they need to score on these opportunities.

Now on the PP they take a too many men penalty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 on 4 for a bit .DeSimone shot from the slot gloved as the Marlies returned to full strength.

Short PP for the Marlies. TO turns the Comet D inside out on 2 rushes in a row. MacKinnon the victim of the first one which was a full spinarama on the rush below the circle and his backhand shot was wide.

The next guy down low walked a defender and Daws stopped that one. Didn't catch the # of the Utica d-man as i was typing when it happened. Those plays came form 2 length of the ice rushes.

Delayed call coming on the Comets. Good puck control, but lost control in close.

Comets to the PK. Not looking forward to this. The skill level of these guys is very good. Marlies taking a lot of time in a couple of on ice meeting discussing their plans.

50 seconds gone and White finally clears it down. Marlies change and come out as a group. Almosr Off sides giving the Comets a chance to clear.

PK successful..

Toronto right back in. The Comets have been on their heels the better part of this period, inside 7 minute to go.
Shots are 7-1 Marlies.

Comets back to the PP. The only chance the Comets are getting this period are PPs except for the backhanderoff the post by Willman moving past the goal that the Marlies used to launch a rush that turned into a goal.

Foote completely blows a one timer chance.

Marlie keeper makes a great stop in a net front scramble.

PP is over 20 for 20 on the season.

Foote blows a toe drag losing possession in the circle. This guy make so many flubs and misses. Not hard to see how this guy's future is being pissed away. Instead of coming down and busting his ass to make thingds happen, he just continues to slide down the cliff.

The rest of the Comets aren't much better.
As the 2nd nears the end the Comets have had 4 shots on goal. this period.

End of the 2nd
2-0 Toronto
SOG 8-4 Toronto

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
3rd is under way

Comets go to the PK
Halonen 2 for hooking.

Daws a big stop.

Nylander all alone standing still at the left circle hash mark and he takes his time and buries it. No Comet in sight.
Nylander 5 goals in 5 games.
PPG at 4:19
3-0 Toronto

12 minutes to go and the Comets have taken 2 shots. This team is dumbfounded vs a team that can skate, pass the puck, and hound the puck.

9:30 to go and the Comets just got yheir 3rd shot of the period.

7:10 to go and Comets get shot #4.

Congrats due to the Gambardellas on the birth of their new daughter. Something good to post!!!

Marlies to the PP as MacKinnon drags down a Marlie from behind who cuts across in front of him and goes towards the center of the slot. Will is beaten badly and has no recourse but to reach out as he goes by and trips him.

25 seconds later the Marlies strike again for their 2nd PP of the period and it's 4-0 and this one is lng gone over with 5:02 to go.

The goals these guys have scoed have been scored by guys with very little interference from any Comet.

When the Comets cross the blueline they go completely braindead. They have no idea of what they are going to do. The puck carrier has no plan, the guys with him don't know where to go, how to find open ice, how to clear lanes for their mate, should I shoot or pass? The pass attempts are feeble. The shots are more often blocked or deflected. They flub attempts, whiff on shot attempts, miss the net when they do get it off and more often than not that shot is the end of that offensive effort as the opponent moves up ice.

The final horn goes and it's another L in the column. They did not get a shot in the last 7 minutes. The last 4 minutes was spent with the Marlies swarming all over the Comets zone.

Final score 4-0
SOG 13-4 Marlies
game total 34-17 Marlies

There doesn't appear to be any magic fix to this situation. There is so much wrong with this team and DiNeen has no idea how to fix any of it.

They are slow.
They are poor passers.
They don't handle the puck well.
They are all over the ice defensively and leave guys wide open for point blank shots.
If there was a hockey IQ test I shudder to think how poorly they would score.
Their shot totals over the course of every game periiod by period are terrible vs the number they surrender. SOG are not the fault of the goalies.

The keepers this year will not have good numbers if this is the way they will be abandoned and people in NJ will be blaming the golies and the GM who acquired them. They will play an extrodinary game here and there, but no goalie can hold the fort when the help they get is little to nonexistent.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NJ has no one left to send down up front. The forwards here are the best they have to offer since Beckman was waived today. He's not going to resurrect this offense. He will have to saddle up with any 2 of the guys who have been doing nothing. No forward has stood out with exemplary play.

Defensively there's Vilen and Hatakka. That at least sits MacKinnon and van de Leest who stunk up the ice tonight. Welinski would be released if this team had a soild D-corps but currently they don't. Maybe when Pesce and Luke are both healthy someone else is sent down rather than playing very little or even healthy scratched. I don't know how much help they can be with the mess the rest of this team is.

4 games played.
Shut out 2X.
1 GF 1X
4 GF when a young Bellevile team was aked to shut down a team after mounting a big lead. The Sen's coach better not ask that swarming offensive team to put the breaks on again until he has really coached a serious shut down system into their brains.

128 shots allowed. 32 shots/game.
Daws 11 GA /4.48 GAA / .842 SV%
Poulter 6 GA /3.98 GAA / .876 SV%

SOG for the Comets through the 4 games 86 - 23shots/game

You have to see the shots the opponents have had vs those credited to the Comets. Then you have to add in the number of incrdible great chances the opponnets have had that didn't end up with a shot on goal. The Comets have been extremely lucky to have only given uo the number of sahots on net that they have. They have been run out of the biulding in every game except for the 3rd period in Belleville.

Either DiNeen has some coaching chops he hasn't shown in his time here or this season is cooked. The players are who they are and none have decided not to play, but they have simply not had the ability to shut down the opponent's offense nor mount any kind of serious game challenging efforts against them. I don't see any miracle turn around in the future. Vegas picked the Comets as cellar dwellers. They are not famous for being wrong. Even if they miss by a slot, it means the Comets will be playing golf when the rest of the Division is playing in the playoffs.

I'll keep watching and attending the home games. I am a die hard who will shake my head, curse, and grumble while hoping for that miracle ,but I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: mdhockey13

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Really he’s been that bad? Has he not been on the top pairing with Desimone?

I find him being rotated out for whoever Van dee Leest is to be pretty unlikely with them missing players but I haven’t been following much.
van de Leest is the only extra and he's in and Daniil is out. This new flo hockey gives you every AHL game but you get the PBP from the home team. That's been my experience thus far. if anyone has a way I can change that, let me know. I don't like Shaya's game calling, but you get the skinny he has as to why players are out.

Has a terrible + - and has been a penalty machine. My guess, rotating him out for one game.
Yeah, he hasn't been great, but I defy you to tell me who has been.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
van de Leest is the only extra and he's in and Daniil is out. This new flo hockey gives you every AHL game but you get the PBP from the home team. That's been my experience thus far. if anyone has a way I can change that, let me know. I don't like Shaya's game calling, but you get the skinny he has as to why players are out.

Wait, did they say why Misyul is out?

mdhockey13

Feb 11, 2014

I actually liked him in the season opener. Just pointing out a couple reasons he could be a healthy scratch.

Ad

Ad

Ad