Injury Report: 2024-25 Sharks/Barracuda health

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cooch not skating is a blow for his odds of coming back but if it’s long term, he should consider giving up the captaincy. Granlund would be a good replacement if they want to extend him.

Reactions: DG93

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Cooch not skating is a blow for his odds of coming back but if it’s long term, he should consider giving up the captaincy. Granlund would be a good replacement if they want to extend him.
It might not be bad, though. If the best way to recover from this is to just give it as much time as you can and stay off the ice, then maybe he'll have given it long enough? Seven full months is quite a while and it helps knowing that it was always part of the plan (not because of some setback a few months ago or something).

Hard not to be pessimistic but I'm going to hold onto some hope here until/unless we get more bad news.

Reactions: Sharksfan66

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It might not be bad, though. If the best way to recover from this is to just give it as much time as you can and stay off the ice, then maybe he'll have given it long enough? Seven full months is quite a while and it helps knowing that it was always part of the plan (not because of some setback a few months ago or something).

Hard not to be pessimistic but I'm going to hold onto some hope here until/unless we get more bad news.
I hope so too. He's an incredibly useful player to our young forwards. It's just not a great sign to say you're planning on skating in July and here we are almost done with August and it hasn't happened yet. I fear that even when he decides it's been rested long enough, the moment he goes out there and exerts himself at the level needed to play an NHL game, it'll happen again. And if he's still in an indefinite state on this injury, he ought to give up the captaincy.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I hope so too. He's an incredibly useful player to our young forwards. It's just not a great sign to say you're planning on skating in July and here we are almost done with August and it hasn't happened yet. I fear that even when he decides it's been rested long enough, the moment he goes out there and exerts himself at the level needed to play an NHL game, it'll happen again. And if he's still in an indefinite state on this injury, he ought to give up the captaincy.
Maybe the ideal is no Captain this season and afterwards Couture admits to LTIR retirement and then Celebrini take over as Captain as he should be their long term Captain even if he is a teenager.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe the ideal is no Captain this season and afterwards Couture admits to LTIR retirement and then Celebrini take over as Captain as he should be their long term Captain even if he is a teenager.
Eh if Celebrini is the plan, I’d just give it to him now and just lean into it. If there are questions then just give it to Eklund or Zetterlund or Ferraro.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Give it to an established leader. Not a fan of making 18 and 19 year olds be forced to talk to media each night.
They don’t have one. And really, Celebrini is going to talk to media each night regardless. He’s the #1 pick. It’s his burden to bear. He has Thornton to talk to about that one.

It’s a good idea for Grier to turn the page to the new team’s identity sooner rather than later and it should be someone part of the new young core.

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
If they keep Granlund beyond this season, I wouldn't mind him being the captain honestly.
I would mind. Celebrini has the leadership skills he is notorious for his work ethic off the ice. I don’t want any captain that will block his path. Couture is fine since he has been captain and only has at max 3 more seasons but there’s a chance he will never play again. If their next captain is not Celebrini I will be shocked.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Bedard isn't the captain in Chicago, but win or lose he is the one taking the media's questioning not the actual captain.

Just comes with being the next star in the league. Crosby had to deal with it before he got the C. Mcdavid had to also, thornton did also.

Celebrini being captain in season 1 will be no different then him getting it season 3.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Give it to an established leader. Not a fan of making 18 and 19 year olds be forced to talk to media each night.
I agree with this. Celebrini is an obvious future captain, but why give him that responsibility so soon when he already has enough on his plate to deal with?

The ideal situation is obviously that Couture is healthy and can play out his contract as captain. Then hand it over to Celebrini when he's ~21. Still young for a captain but by that point he should be able to handle it. But even if Couture can't come back healthy this season, I'd rather give it to Ferraro or Granlund or something, someone impermanent but clearly with some leadership value. Or rotate A's, I don't care. I just strongly disagree with teenage captaincies.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I would mind. Celebrini has the leadership skills he is notorious for his work ethic off the ice. I don’t want any captain that will block his path. Couture is fine since he has been captain and only has at max 3 more seasons but there’s a chance he will never play again. If their next captain is not Celebrini I will be shocked.
If Couture can’t play this season and is forced to retire, you are suggesting a scenario through which Celebrini could be made captain before he ever played an NHL game. Seems beyond premature.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
If Couture can’t play this season and is forced to retire, you are suggesting a scenario through which Celebrini could be made captain before he ever played an NHL game. Seems beyond premature.
No I’m saying that Couture won’t officially LTIR retire until after this season at the earliest so this season will only have “A’s” and then next season Celebrini is Captain.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see it as premature. I see it as getting on with the inevitable. The C doesn't truly matter that much especially in Celebrini's case. There are no responsibilities that come with being the captain that he wasn't already going to be responsible for. Let him grow as a player and as a captain now while there aren't team expectations when it very clearly is already his team and is being built to be his team.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
My feeling is that the new team MO will not be one of just handing the captaincy to a kid because they have potential. Or that's just my preferred MO. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad