GDT: 2024-25 season game 3 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @10:00am (Again) 10/14/24

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I thought Kuemper was poor against Boston too, juicy rebounds, caught leaning a lot. The regulation goal was a really poor one to let in. The team was really solid in front of him minus two or three glaring errors.

Today was just a really stupid game of hockey, and I am glad we don't see these all that often.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Flush it and move on.... That game was insane and Kuemper prob should've been pulled at some point and the defense definitely collapsed but sometimes even good teams just have bad/weird games (Look at Edmonton/Colorado right now - Not saying the Kings are on the same level as those teams but just examples of good teams/players struggling at times to start a season).

They know they can play MUCH better defensively than they showed today and also know 8-9 times out of 10 you aren't going to be playing in front of a goaltender who's just nearly completely lost the ability to make a save out there. This team can be much much better - I'm cautiously optimistic for a few reasons:
Byfield
  • I know he didn't have a great game today, but I feel like it's clear Byfield has found a new gear/level. When he starts really building speed with the puck and moving with the quickness/skill he possesses... its incredible to see a Kings player with that ability. And it's pretty clear it's just a matter of time before the points start coming and when it does it completely changes this Kings team).
  • He has the ability to take over games
Laferriere
  • That turnover -> goal was disgusting. The tip on his earlier goal was nasty too. Kid can flat out play.
  • Having a player like this is honestly HUGE - it's actually the exact thing everyone has been saying the Kings need desperately need for months (a scoring right shot top 6 forward)... The Kings (seemingly) just happened to have gotten one out of a 3rd round pick from a couple years ago in Laferriere lol, that's sick
  • This kid could honestly score 20-25+ goals and add 45-50+ points... He's good on the forecheck, he's good creating turnovers, he can make plays & set up linemates/create some offense at times. That's incredible for the Kings. I know it's early, but you have to love what you're seeing so far. Really hope he can keep it up.
Kopitar
  • He just keeps kicking doesn't he?? I know much of this it definitely just a hot start but this guy just continues to produce offensively at this age, it's insane. I'll admit he does seem like he's maybe lost a step but he continues to play the game at a really high level. The best part is - with the emergence of Byfield - you don't need him to be the guy anymore. Byfield will take over and Kopitar will be the Kings 2nd or 3rd line center.... That's very ideal and very good depth down the middle

In general, I think the Kings will need to switch up the lines a bit before the settle into things. I'd try something like this:
Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Foegele - Kopitar - Laferriere
Jeannot - Danault - Moore
Lee - Turcotte - Thomas

Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Spence
Edmundson - Burroughs

Especially with Byfield's new speed/playmaking ability, putting Kempe on that line makes so much sense. I also have doubts as to whether Foegele can keep up with Fiala/Byfield but maybe he'll make me eat my words on that (that'd be great lol). This could potentially be a truly dynamic 1st line (like each player 80+ points).

Then you have a legit 2nd line that can still chip in quite a lot of offense. Then if Jeannot clicks on the 3rd line that's a great line - if not you could swap him with Turcotte and have Thomas or even Lewis play 4C (ideally not Lewis tho lol).

And then on defense it's really not even that bad... Spence didn't have a great game but he's solid. But him with Gav and let them work. Clarke will make his mistakes but let's see him with Anderson and see what we've got there. He's going to put up points, you know that - So you let him do that and add offense from the back end and hope the defense irons out quickly.

Goaltending biggest concern right now IMO but we'll see how that looks in a couple weeks/months. GKG (apologies for the length).

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
PL: I'm glad he got traded. Can't imagine being stuck in the King's for 8 years the way they're trending.

There's still time to right the ship, but unless Hiller figures it out quickly, the best option is going to be to bringing in a coach to teach the team to play defense. Starting over like that will take about two seasons & burn off most of the important contracts on the team.

Leafs up next. Grab the popcorn!!!

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The game should immediately end if Zach MacEwan scores 2 goals in a game. It’s like catching the snitch
MacEwen CAN play a little bit, he was a decent 4th liner for Vancouver.

It was embarrassing stating that before he took the ice here given what we saw out of him, but he isn't a liability at 8 minutes a night.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
So LA's first Home game is not until the 24th of October? Another 4 games on the road the Kings will be looking for some Home cooked meals soon,I know I would be!!!

Burroughs isn't that bad and he's tough to boot and RD-man also which can't be that bad

wow, talk about seeing two different games, respect your thoughts, but my god our definition of bad hockey must differ tremendously

all good, enjoy the Burroughs

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
The team is finding out who they are. They're stitched together like Frankenstein. A little schitzo. Each game was different from the previous game. This is not what I envisaged. Didn't think we'd be without Drew. That jumbled the D and with three new guys. They are on a steep learning curve. There are 4 new guys on O. New #1 G-man. None of the lines from last year have been brought forward into this season.
But don't you think the offense the guys put up last night was impressive? I wouldn't have dreamed it could happen. There is also a new tenacity and it pissed off the Sens. Kopi isn't finished. We still have a couple of options in the wings for a defensive move. I suspect it will involve Burroughs.
We've seen the needle bouncing off the pegs so far. It's time to dominate a game with sensible play. Penalties have hurt the process. If we can start to get some of these gears to mesh then we'll see something very special. Personally I'm enthralled.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $725.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lithuania vs Romania
    Lithuania vs Romania
    Wagers: 3