Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The question right now is how many of Colangelo, Nesterenko, and Regenda will make the team?

Zegras
McTavish
Carlsson
Gauthier
Strome
Terry
Vatrano
Killorn
Lundestrom
Leason
Harkins
McGinn
Johnston

is 13 forwards if everyone is healthy

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
The question right now is how many of Colangelo, Nesterenko, and Regenda will make the team?

Zegras
McTavish
Carlsson
Gauthier
Strome
Terry
Vatrano
Killorn
Lundestrom
Leason
Harkins
McGinn
Johnston

The bottom 4 are easy scratches for me, with Johnston coming in for maybe 12 games a year

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Zegras
McTavish
Carlsson
Gauthier
Strome
Terry
Vatrano
Killorn
Lundestrom
Leason
Harkins
McGinn
Johnston

Ugh, the last 3 are all fungible to me. I'd prefer we give Colangelo, Nesterenko and Regenda their shot to make the team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You can put a 23 man roster together with the following

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Vatrano-McTavish-Strome
Killorn-Zegras-Colangelo*
Leason-Lundestrom-Harkins
Johnston
McGinn

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen

Gibson
Dostal

This is probably the current roster when healthy with that spot at wing being a competition between Colangelo, Nesterenko, and Regenda. Only one spot at F for one of the AHL guys to compete for before injuries, though with an injury, could also have Luneau on the roster with 8D.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Vatrano-McTavish-Strome
Johnston
McGinn

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen

Gibson
Dostal

This is probably the current roster when healthy with that spot at wing being a competition between Colangelo, Nesterenko, and Regenda. Only one spot at F for one of the AHL guys to compete for before injuries, though with an injury, could also have Luneau on the roster with 8D.

True except we're still below the floor so more is coming. I'm guessing another forward will be added.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Vatrano-McTavish-Strome
Johnston
McGinn

Fowler-Zellweger
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-LaCombe
Vaakanainen

Gibson
Dostal

How confident are you that Zellweger starts in the top 4?

Reactions: some

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Good god... I know that the Bruins inflate player size measurements (Hampus was 6'2 210 here, but is apparently juicing now at 6'4 224), but their defensive lineup is enormous. Cycle through the lineups and its pretty apparent we have the softest blueline in the league. When Gudas gets hurt and is out of the lineup for a decent amount of time we are going to get feasted on. Teams will absolutely look forward to play against our minor/junior league lineup. Gibson is going to have a mental breakdown.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Good god... I know that the Bruins inflate player size measurements (Hampus was 6'2 210 here, but is apparently juicing now at 6'4 224), but their defensive lineup is enormous. Cycle through the lineups and its pretty apparent we have the softest blueline in the league. When Gudas gets hurt and is out of the lineup for a decent amount of time we are going to get feasted on. Teams will absolutely look forward to play against our minor/junior league lineup. Gibson is going to have a mental breakdown.

Isn't Dumo helping out in that tough to play against dept? Hockey-Reference has him listed at 6'4 and 207 lbs. I've seen a couple of clips where he demolishes forwards trying to enter the Ozone.

As for size and potential grit on the blueline, Anaheim has three in their pipeline in 6'4 RD Warren, 6'6 LD Konnor Smith and 6'2 LD Solberg. Warren hasn't replicated his D+0 season b/c injuries. Smith has tone down some of his physicality to become a more well-rounded defenseman. Solberg loves bumping uglies because it's fun for him.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Isn't Dumo helping out in that tough to play against dept? Hockey-Reference has him listed at 6'4 and 207 lbs. I've seen a couple of clips where he demolishes forwards trying to enter the Ozone.

As for size and potential grit on the blueline, Anaheim has three in their pipeline in 6'4 RD Warren, 6'6 LD Konnor Smith and 6'2 LD Solberg. Warren hasn't replicated his D+0 season b/c injuries. Smith has tone down some of his physicality to become a more well-rounded defenseman. Solberg loves bumping uglies because it's fun for him.
I can't tell... are you being serious about Dumo? He's a hard worker but "demolishes" isn't in his scouting report.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I can't tell... are you being serious about Dumo? He's a hard worker but "demolishes" isn't in his scouting report.

Tough to play against = hard worker

Demolishes in a couple of clips =/= demolish mode is always on

Your premise was outside of Gudas, this team is soft. Verbeek acquiring a veteran 6'4, hardworking blue liner who can occasionally throw a heavy check helps to not make us soft. Hell, even Vaak is tough to play against, now that we've see what he looks like healthy. This isn't like 2022-23's blue line. That was beyond Charmin soft!

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Yes, this "soft blueline" narrative is becoming obsolete. Verbeek is drafting to change it, especially investing a first in Solberg. BTW, Mintyukov isn't soft. Some of us think guys have to fight to not be soft.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fowler - Dumo
Minty - Gudas
Vaak - Zell
LaCombe

Shift the Top 4D down a pairing and it’s really a solid D group for a contending team. Ducks are really not contending……which im tired of saying this!!!

We really needed that Top 4 RHD, Dumo is a 5/6 so will have to do for now. This is not enough to get them to playoff contention, unless there are more moves coming. Also need another Top 6 winger as well….

People are concerned about Zegras being moved? There are holes already in the Top 6, trading Z sets then back at least 1-2 years unless they are getting a legit Top pairing D in return.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Yes, this "soft blueline" narrative is becoming obsolete. Verbeek is drafting to change it, especially investing a first in Solberg. BTW, Mintyukov isn't soft. Some of us think guys have to fight to not be soft.

No matter your definition, Minty ain't soft. He had that fight last year and DESTROYED the other dude (can't remember who).

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Even Zell isn't "soft," he's just small. But all you have to do is watch 5 minutes of him playing to see that he is constantly in the face of opponents and chipping away at them.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Fowler - Dumo
Minty - Gudas
Vaak - Zell
LaCombe

Shift the Top 4D down a pairing and it’s really a solid D group for a contending team. Ducks are really not contending……which im tired of saying this!!!

We really needed that Top 4 RHD, Dumo is a 5/6 so will have to do for now. This is not enough to get them to playoff contention, unless there are more moves coming. Also need another Top 6 winger as well….

People are concerned about Zegras being moved? There are holes already in the Top 6, trading Z sets then back at least 1-2 years unless they are getting a legit Top pairing D in return.

I just don't think Dumoulin can handle Fowler's minutes on his off side and I bet they would love to have a vet with a younger defenseman. Fowler and Mintyukov are set on stone on LD and Gudas on RD. Seems all but guaranteed that Minty-Gudas is a thing next season. Dumoulin should be on the bottom pairing and probably at LD.

The only decision, IMO, is whether to play Zellweger/LaCombe on their off sides with Fowler or Dumoulin. Or, trade one of them for a RD upgrade.

Fowler-xxx
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-xxx
Vaakanainen

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I just don't think Dumoulin can handle Fowler's minutes on his off side and I bet they would love to have a vet with a younger defenseman. Fowler and Mintyukov are set on stone on LD and Gudas on RD. Seems all but guaranteed that Minty-Gudas is a thing next season. Dumoulin should be on the bottom pairing and probably at LD.

The only decision, IMO, is whether to play Zellweger/LaCombe on their off sides with Fowler or Dumoulin. Or, trade one of them for a RD upgrade.

Fowler-xxx
Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumoulin-xxx
Vaakanainen
Zellweger played 15 plus minutes last year.. Hes a lock to make the team..

Reactions: some

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What are the odds we see Gauthier at Center this year? He's practicing face offs with Getz at dev camp.
If they think he can play Center he should definitely be tried there but I really don't know how many of Carlsson, McTavish, Zegras, and Gauthier they really want at Center. I get the sense it might only be 2. If that's the case and they start with just Carlsson and McTavish playing Center, I do wonder which of Zegras or Gauthier they would try there first if one got injured

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What are the odds we see Gauthier at Center this year? He's practicing face offs with Getz at dev camp.

Wouldn’t rule him out to play C, but I think they really want him with Leo but it certainly is an option. We do have four young players who are C’s. I see us running three of them down the middle with Lundy at 4C. So one has to go to wing.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
If they think he can play Center he should definitely be tried there but I really don't know how many of Carlsson, McTavish, Zegras, and Gauthier they really want at Center. I get the sense it might only be 2. If that's the case and they start with just Carlsson and McTavish playing Center, I do wonder which of Zegras or Gauthier they would try there first if one got injured
I think (and hope) that they run Carlsson-McT-Z down the center, and move Z up to a wing when we need goalscoring or something. Think he would thrive in that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad