2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Whatever this team is, safe ain't it.

Right now, the primary problem is they just aren't on the same page offensively, they're misfiring on passes and shots, trying too hard and getting caught out of position.
Problem is they just are not good enough. That is the main issue/primary problem. This isn't hard to figure out. Would a different coach get better results?

Once Seeler returns he will stabilize the lineup and look for the team to rebound big time

• Haha
Reactions: freakydallas13

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
We need a greater sample size - maybe by Nov 1st we'll have a real feeling of where things are going...but the early returns on the offensive analytics are not good.

I anticipate them being near the bottom - if all things are equal - in chances created, high danger chances, corsi, expected goals, and shooting %.

Not where you want to be.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
xGF% 47.16 (22), HDCF% 41.15% (28), (GA-xGA)/60: +1.26.
xGF/60: 2.26 (26), xGA/60: 2.57 (16), HDCF/60: 8.41 (29), HDCA/60: 12.03 (25)

What's interesting is how much worse HDCA is than xGA, which suggests they're having too many breakdowns on defense.

Reactions: BernieParent

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
We need a greater sample size - maybe by Nov 1st we'll have a real feeling of where things are going...but the early returns on the offensive analytics are not good.

I anticipate them being near the bottom - if all things are equal - in chances created, high danger chances, corsi, expected goals, and shooting %.

Not where you want to be.
Dead said the next 6-8 games. Then the spin will go in another direction.

What's interesting is how much worse HDCA is than xGA, which suggests they're having too many breakdowns on defense.
They are not a good hockey team. End of story.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia

Can you, please, elaborate? Wouldn't HDCA automatically lead to a goal scoring chance that has high xGA, or? Genuine question. I usually love advanced stats, but perhaps Monday brain is not.. braining at the moment.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Can you, please, elaborate? Wouldn't HDCA automatically lead to a goal scoring chance that has high xGA, or? Genuine question. I usually love advanced stats, but perhaps Monday brain is not.. braining at the moment.
A HDCA would translate into xGA, but it's only a portion of what goes into xGA, a lot of low danger chances would increase xGA without impacting HDCA.

So to me, xGA reflects your overall defensive play, HDCA reflects how often you have breakdowns that allow good scoring chances. As Flyguy3911 points out, it's a crude measure, I'm sure teams have proprietary data that's more detailed, they probably have 1-2 people whose job is primarily to edit video for this purpose.

5 games is a small sample, especially given the circumstances at the start of this season, I think it takes about 20 games for metrics to start becoming meaningful.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Flyguy did a nice job explaining.

Advanced stats can sometimes trip me up too, this board has been so great at helping me better understand as well. And i’m still learning!

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
A HDCA would translate into xGA, but it's only a portion of what goes into xGA, a lot of low danger chances would increase xGA without impacting HDCA.

So to me, xGA reflects your overall defensive play, HDCA reflects how often you have breakdowns that allow good scoring chances. As Flyguy3911 points out, it's a crude measure, I'm sure teams have proprietary data that's more detailed, they probably have 1-2 people whose job is primarily to edit video for this purpose.

5 games is a small sample, especially given the circumstances at the start of this season, I think it takes about 20 games for metrics to start becoming meaningful.
What circumstances?

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia

Thanks, this makes sense (the fact that low-danger chances also slowly add to the xGA).

Flyguy did a nice job explaining.

Advanced stats can sometimes trip me up too, this board has been so great at helping me better understand as well. And i’m still learning!

I'm analyst by profession and yet the squirrel in my brain still sometimes doesn't spin the wheel fast enough to make all the links, so it's indeed nice when someone explains it in simple terms.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Thanks, this makes sense (the fact that low-danger chances also slowly add to the xGA).

Different sites use different definitions, but this might help contextualize it too.

image.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Different sites use different definitions, but this might help contextualize it too.

image.png
I wonder if the high danger region shouldn't extend horizontally to the face off circles, it seems to me watching games those two triangles are high danger shots. Would be interesting to see shooting success from that area.

Reactions: ellja3

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I wonder if the high danger region shouldn't extend horizontally to the face off circles, it seems to me watching games those two triangles are high danger shots. Would be interesting to see shooting success from that area.

To really have this discussion, I would use one of HockeyViz's maps. You need more granularity than three broad buckets for me personally.

For example:

fabrics-7-2123-public.png

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad