2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I think Bergeron is relevant not because he's an "exception" but as a prototype.
Bruins were patient with his scoring, didn't really emerge until 24 (though lost two seasons, otherwise 22 or so?).
Intelligence, defense, attention to detail, kind of things that allowed Bergeron to contribute early.

Now that doesn't mean Luchanko can do the same, but I think they're less focused on his offense than whether he can handle the NHL game mentally and emotionally. If so, he can progress faster in the NHL than the CHL (unfortunately the AHL is not an option).

My suspicion is he won't play much on the road trip (that would be really throwing him into the fire) and they'll monitor his progress in practice and his first few games. If he looks like he's over his head, they'll send him back.

Deady. How did you make the decision to respond to a post talking about the dangers of using the most dominant possession player of his generation as a signpost and make it about picking the right word? The point is not the semantics.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
More rambling and nonsense as usual. The org is doing the obvious wrong thing, which was firmly stated as such a week ago and now it's to the defense and coming up with asinine explanations

It's definitely the wrong call.

The only hope is that his maturity is as reported and he can fight through all of the early struggles while still finding a way to take chances and develop his offensive game. I doubt that he turns into the player that he could have unless they lucked into a gem that they didn't even see.

Team of Chaos it is...

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mildly disappointed, but 0% surprised, we didn't take a shot at Pelletier. Not that we had a roster spot for him if we wanted to, nor could we be sure we'd have the cap space to keep him.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
still think it is the wrong decision but hell lets hope he shows something that gained their trust..still not sold that is a good lineup

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Scary how many times the line "St. Louis" comes up with this front office in terms of building a team to win...

and "different ways to win".

Yeh, like the one real "exception" in the cap era in terms of having ~3+ high end players and winning.

When you follow one exception you are unlikely to be the next really.

Yeh, another exception. One from over 20 years ago.

As opposed to the numerous guys who were rushed and then vs the peers drafted around them (despite being able to "Hold own" in NHL at 18) stagnated really...

When people keep citing exceptions to back-up their worldview... well... that is confirmation bias at its very finest.

For years now their model has been NYI; building from the 4th line out. And their ideal method of getting there is St Louis; not rebuilding.

The two hardest possible models to succeed with, combined. And people wonder why some of us are supposedly "negative." Nah, we are realistic, and that is positive behavior. Delusion is negative!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He can progress faster in the NHL than the CHL because the NHL is a development league?

Can young players develop in the NHL now?

Big if true! No longer need to marinate guys until they turn into mush. After years of hearing that is the only best way, simply because it is what the Flyers do. Never mind it never worked, they were doing it so therefore it must be best.

Reactions: pit

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm sure someone has asked already but what is the waiver status of our goalies? I don't have a ton of confidence in either at the moment and with Kolosov in the AHL I'm just wondering if one or both NHL guys are struggling while Kolosov excells in the AHL if it would be an easy up and down or if they'd be hesitant to waive one or the other (or both) in fear of getting claimed.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This team really thinks Luchanko playing once a week for a month is better than going down and (hopefully) dominating the CHL?

This organization is run by people with rocks for brains.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
This team really thinks Luchanko playing once a week for a month is better than going down and (hopefully) dominating the CHL?

This organization is run by people with rocks for brains.
i really hope they don't, if going the 9 game route, string it out over months..i mean they CAN'T be that stupid

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Scary how many times the line "St. Louis" comes up with this front office in terms of building a team to win...

and "different ways to win".

Yeh, like the one real "exception" in the cap era in terms of having ~3+ high end players and winning.

When you follow one exception you are unlikely to be the next really.

Yeh, another exception. One from over 20 years ago.

As opposed to the numerous guys who were rushed and then vs the peers drafted around them (despite being able to "Hold own" in NHL at 18) stagnated really...

When people keep citing exceptions to back-up their worldview... well... that is confirmation bias at its very finest.
I think the line you’re looking for is “the exception that proves the rule,” and yeah. And BTW, the Blues at least had a no. 1 d-man. Flyers lack a 1C and a 1D. You at least need one of those to win even just one Cup, me thinks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Luchanko were to stick, it's not going to be due to his offense.
It'll be b/c his IQ, maturity and speed allow him to be effective as a defense first center who can provide a little offense.
It's unlikely, but it's an easier transition than an offense first player who isn't fundamentally sound on defense.

Most top offensive players (unless we're talking Bedard level) are going to struggle to score at the NHL level at 18, and their bad defense will be quickly exposed.

The worry is even if Luchanko is advanced defensively, fear of making mistakes will make him too passive, and if encouraged to take risks, lack of experience will result in too many mistakes, making him risk adverse.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
It's unlikely, but it's an easier transition than an offense first player who isn't fundamentally sound on defense.
It's just a difficult to develop offence in the NHL at 18 as it is defence. I'd argue it's harder.

Look at Cates. 25 years old and still a 4th liner offensively. If offence is so much easier to figure out, why are the Flyers so inept at it?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm sure someone has asked already but what is the waiver status of our goalies? I don't have a ton of confidence in either at the moment and with Kolosov in the AHL I'm just wondering if one or both NHL guys are struggling while Kolosov excells in the AHL if it would be an easy up and down or if they'd be hesitant to waive one or the other (or both) in fear of getting claimed.

Koloslov & Makiniemi are waiver exempt. Ersson, Fedotov, & Petersen aren’t waiver exempt.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing I missed about the Johansen contract termination.

Even if the Flyers are forced to re-instate Johansen, they probably can accumulate cap room until then, put Ellis or Johansen on LTIR, and have some room at least at the TDL.

If there's a settlement, even more room depending on the terms.

Koloslov & Makiniemi are waiver exempt. Ersson, Fedotov, & Petersen aren’t waiver exempt.
No one is claiming Fedotov's contract if he's struggling enough to be waived.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Stupid, stupid, stupid decision.

With that said, i guess its kinda cool i'll see Michkov and Luchanko's first game in the NHL and first home game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's just a difficult to develop offence in the NHL at 18 as it is defence. I'd argue it's harder.

Look at Cates. 25 years old and still a 4th liner offensively. If offence is so much easier to figure out, why are the Flyers so inept at it?
5x5 scoring pp/60 last two seasons (1000+ minutes)
TK 2.27 (41)
Farabee 2.09 (71)
Tippett 2.07 (73)
[Giroux 2.03 (79)]
Frost 1.91 (120)

Cates 1.37 (273)
Foerster 1.37 (274)
Laughton 1.30 (292)
[NAK 1.29 (294)]
Poehling 1.27 (302)
Hathaway 1.18 (327)
Deslauriers 0.72 (374)