2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Outside of the glaring hole at 1C I'm liking the forward group. Defence and goaltending on the other hand...
The forward group is pretty good. They can ice 12 legit NHL forwards if they choose to. I'm curious to see how ice time will be allotted this year. That's a big question mark surrounding the forwards as well.

Defense, we'll see. Sanheim improved last year, would like to see him back to where he was a few years ago. York, for all the talk around here of him improving, actually took a step back analytically a little bit. His expected were better than his on ice, so it could just be a fluky year. Seeler had a good year last year, but his on-ice results were much worse than his expected results (the opposite as York). Again, could be fluky or could be the fact that he's starting a decline. Risto, in a reduced role, has actually had two decent years analytically on the defensive side of things. But yeah, they are going to need improved play from Drysdale, York, Zamula at a minimum. They need better passing from the backend.

Reactions: sauce88

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Apparently Torts loves his speed down the middle. But still, this is silly.
Kid doesn't have a respectable NHL shot. Opponents will play his passing lanes and he'll provide nothing on offense. He should be back in Guelph working on his shooting and offensive game. No need to have him in Philly where he will get embarrassed by established professional players.

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
The forward group is pretty good. They can ice 12 legit NHL forwards if they choose to. I'm curious to see how ice time will be allotted this year. That's a big question mark surrounding the forwards as well.

Defense, we'll see. Sanheim improved last year, would like to see him back to where he was a few years ago. York, for all the talk around here of him improving, actually took a step back analytically a little bit. His expected were better than his on ice, so it could just be a fluky year. Seeler had a good year last year, but his on-ice results were much worse than his expected results (the opposite as York). Again, could be fluky or could be the fact that he's starting a decline. Risto, in a reduced role, has actually had two decent years analytically on the defensive side of things. But yeah, they are going to need improved play from Drysdale, York, Zamula at a minimum. They need better passing from the backend.
Just not having Deslauriers in the lineup is addition by subtraction. With the big defensive leap Frost took last year I really hope Konecny or Michkov will be the RW with Tippett and Frost, he's still the most skilled C they have. To me it seems Tortorella likes his wingers to cause chaos with the C almost acting like a third dman at times despite him saying he wants speed at center ice, Frost could easily facilitate/chain passes with those guys.

Defensively I agree with you, the passing worries me, and Drysdale worries me. Unfortunately, I don't think the backend is playoff caliber, but the forwards are. Troublesome for a management team that says they want to build from defence out.

Reactions: VladDrag

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
What are your thoughts on Luchanko making Flyers roster? Is it expected to be a 9 gamer or could he stick up for year?

How did he look for Flyers in camp/preseason?

It's idiotic. He was completely invisible in the preseason and was a questionable pick to begin with. They are sinking any chance they had at him being a good offensive player

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I dont think they want him to be a good offensive player. Think like they do, obsessed with fit and need: We have Michkov, Konecny, and Farabee; that's all the offensive talent they need. Frost is bothersome to them. They want a real 3C.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think York was adjusting to a bigger role last season. It'll be interesting to see if he progresses and how much. Torts wants him to be more aggressive on offense, I think that comes with confidence and experience, knowing when to take chances.

Seeler had great chemistry with Walker, who wasn't as good on Colorado.
Remains to be seen how he works with Drysdale. On paper it's similar to Walker in terms of skill and roles, but Drysdale is a big unknown.

Risto has raised Zamula's game, but it's up to Zamula to take the next step.
If he falters, Andrae is waiting in the wings.

Ristso may never live up to his trade/contract, but he's become a solid RHD, could probably play on the second pair, but not sure he's a good fit with Seeler (would require him to become the primary puck mover).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Real interesting interview with Briere.
He doesn't come off as the guy with all the answers (Hextall) or throw out a bunch of cliches (CF).

He's got reasonable expectations, when asked about the PP becoming middle of the pack his answer was he just wants to see improvement, getting to 22nd probably gets them into the POs last season.

He sounds both excited and ambivalent about Luchanko, what impressed him was the speed but also the attention to detail. Farabee said something similar a few days ago, he'd point something out to Luchanko and next play he'd absorbed it. But said it's a day to day thing in terms of the decision, both when to play him (i.e. stretch out 9 games so he gets a lot of practice time) and whether to keep him up.

Did use Bergeron as an example where it worked out but noted a lot of players were rushed.
Bergeron was #45, started at 18, then the strike year. Listed at 6'1 196.
18: 71g 9-15 24 ES 16:21
20: 81g 18-24 42 ES 20:36
21: 77g 8-22 30 ES 20:49
22: injured
23: 64g 6-16 22 17:59
24: 73g 18-24 42 18:54 - 5th in Selke voting

Losing a season to the strike and another to injury probably slowed his development, but being rushed didn't seem to have much impact.
Bergeron wasn't a big producer at ES early in his career.
Strange thing was he was a big PP guy at 20-21 but not the rest of his career. Go figure.

Even in his prime, Bergeron was never an elite score, top ES seasons 47, 47 at age 26 and 28.
Rather, he became maybe the best defensive center in NHL history.
Luchanko won't reach those heights, but he has a chance to be a similar type player, top two way guy with good offense and excellent defense.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Scary how many times the line "St. Louis" comes up with this front office in terms of building a team to win...

and "different ways to win".

Yeh, like the one real "exception" in the cap era in terms of having ~3+ high end players and winning.

When you follow one exception you are unlikely to be the next really.

Real interesting interview with Briere.
He doesn't come off as the guy with all the answers (Hextall) or throw out a bunch of cliches (CF).

He's got reasonable expectations, when asked about the PP becoming middle of the pack his answer was he just wants to see improvement, getting to 22nd probably gets them into the POs last season.

He sounds both excited and ambivalent about Luchanko, what impressed him was the speed but also the attention to detail. Farabee said something similar a few days ago, he'd point something out to Luchanko and next play he'd absorbed it. But said it's a day to day thing in terms of the decision, both when to play him (i.e. stretch out 9 games so he gets a lot of practice time) and whether to keep him up.

Did use Bergeron as an example where it worked out but noted a lot of players were rushed.
Bergeron was #45, started at 18, then the strike year. Listed at 6'1 196.
18: 71g 9-15 24 ES 16:21
20: 81g 18-24 42 ES 20:36
21: 77g 8-22 30 ES 20:49
22: injured
23: 64g 6-16 22 17:59
24: 73g 18-24 42 18:54 - 5th in Selke voting

Losing a season to the strike and another to injury probably slowed his development, but being rushed didn't seem to have much impact.
Bergeron wasn't a big producer at ES early in his career.
Strange thing was he was a big PP guy at 20-21 but not the rest of his career. Go figure.

Even in his prime, Bergeron was never an elite score, top ES seasons 47, 47 at age 26 and 28.
Rather, he became maybe the best defensive center in NHL history.
Luchanko won't reach those heights, but he has a chance to be a similar type player, top two way guy with good offense and excellent defense.

Yeh, another exception. One from over 20 years ago.

As opposed to the numerous guys who were rushed and then vs the peers drafted around them (despite being able to "Hold own" in NHL at 18) stagnated really...

When people keep citing exceptions to back-up their worldview... well... that is confirmation bias at its very finest.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I think York was adjusting to a bigger role last season. It'll be interesting to see if he progresses and how much. Torts wants him to be more aggressive on offense, I think that comes with confidence and experience, knowing when to take chances.

Seeler had great chemistry with Walker, who wasn't as good on Colorado.
Remains to be seen how he works with Drysdale. On paper it's similar to Walker in terms of skill and roles, but Drysdale is a big unknown.

Risto has raised Zamula's game, but it's up to Zamula to take the next step.
If he falters, Andrae is waiting in the wings.

Ristso may never live up to his trade/contract, but he's become a solid RHD, could probably play on the second pair, but not sure he's a good fit with Seeler (would require him to become the primary puck mover).
Agreed on York. I'd bet you'd see a re-bound with him. I don't think he's got a whole lot of growth offensively. He's never been an aggressive player. I think it's nuts when you expect to see something from a player at the NHL level, that hasn't really shown it in the lower leagues.

Prior to his injuries, Walker has at least shown something analytically -- there were signs there. Drysdale hasn't shown anything to assume that he has the ability to help the team. His skill level is high, and his skating is good, but so far it hasn't shown up. We'll see how well it goes. It could be a huge issue.

Risto and Zamula are fine as a 3rd pair I guess. I would like a bit more passing ability out of the backend, but it could work.

Reactions: flyersnorth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Scary how many times the line "St. Louis" comes up with this front office in terms of building a team to win...

and "different ways to win".

Yeh, like the one real "exception" in the cap era in terms of having ~3+ high end players and winning.

When you follow one exception you are unlikely to be the next really.

As opposed to the numerous guys who were rushed and then vs the peers drafted around them (despite being able to "Hold own" in NHL at 18) stagnated really...
Briere was pretty straightforward about it was a day to day thing, nothing had been decided.

The point with St Louis was about how many elite players you need.
If you can't land 2 or 3, you need a number of very good players.

Caps had Ovechkin, Vegas really no one (Eichel not elite, nor is Stone)

Florida had Barkov. Is Tkachuk elite? Reinhart isn't, just had a big year (like ROR with St Louis), Ekblad #1 pick but 3rd in PO minutes.

Heck, go back to the 2011-12 Bruins, was Chara elite?
No one else, Lucic led that team with 62 points.

Point was just that there are more than one way to build a team.
And even if you tank, you have to get lucky (NJ landing (2) #1 picks) with the lottery.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I like the forward group. There's some strong players in there. If Deslauriers is the most regular healthy scratch, it's already much improved over last year. My guess is either Cates or Brink is the first healthy scratch in favour of Luchanko.

Defense looks very mid or less. No true #1, not sold on Drysdale thus far, and kinda wish we had Andrae on the 3rd pair, or at least splitting time with Zamula or Risto.

Goaltending, we'll see. Ersson looks to be fine. A lot depends on Fedotov. I'm not sold on him either.

Excited for puck drop on Friday!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere just wants this team to be competitive, thinks it's good for young players to play meaningful games in March and April instead of playing out the string and getting false confidence when there's nothing at stake. I think they can hang in the playoff run, whether they fade probably depends on the goalies and players like Couts being able to stay healthy over a full season.

This is also why I want LHV to make the playoffs, prospects need to play tougher games than regular season, both to learn how to raise their game and for better evaluation (Marody for example is a great regular season scorer who has struggled in POs).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yakemchuk down. So we’re left with picks 1, 2, and 13 going NHL/AHL? :laugh:
#2 is hurt so he may not even start in the NHL.

And that avatar is really f***ing me up. Thought it was strange DP was coming with facts.

Lev has been expected to start in Rockford since signing deal

Last year Hawks had to decide NHL or WHL for Korchinski and kept him up. While I enjoyed his game (Rookie mistakes and all) and felt he got better at a lot of things they said they didn't want to put kids in that position this year thus why they signed a bunch of vets especially on blueline (Martinez and Brodie)

Infact only one rookie is on Hawks to start year and that is D Nolan Allan (2021 1st round) after strong camp/preseason, and he was good in Rockford last year. Kid got rave reviews from coach/players in camp and earned starting season up with Hogs

Figure Nolan gets a few games until Wyatt Kaiser is healthy and then goes back to Rockford

Rockford will have pretty good young group this year

C Frank Nazar (2022 1st)
C Paul Ludwinski (2022 2nd)
C/W Colton Dach (2021 2nd)
W Landon Slaggert (2020 3rd)
D Artom Levshunov (2024 1st)
D Kevin Korchinski (2022 1st)
D Nolan Allan (2021 1st, When/if he goes back down)
D Ethan Del Mastro (2021 4th)
G Drew Commesso (2020 2nd)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

When people keep citing exceptions to back-up their worldview... well... that is confirmation bias at its very finest.
I think Bergeron is relevant not because he's an "exception" but as a prototype.
Bruins were patient with his scoring, didn't really emerge until 24 (though lost two seasons, otherwise 22 or so?).
Intelligence, defense, attention to detail, kind of things that allowed Bergeron to contribute early.

Now that doesn't mean Luchanko can do the same, but I think they're less focused on his offense than whether he can handle the NHL game mentally and emotionally. If so, he can progress faster in the NHL than the CHL (unfortunately the AHL is not an option).

My suspicion is he won't play much on the road trip (that would be really throwing him into the fire) and they'll monitor his progress in practice and his first few games. If he looks like he's over his head, they'll send him back.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad