2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The amount of crap the org got over their process of picking Luchanko - and to now him demonstrating a possibility of hanging in the NHL as a fresh 18yo

A prospect who would be better off further developing his small area skill vs junior players, instead of vs. NHL competition, is a reasonable takeaway from watching him this preseason, last year, last year’s OHL playoffs, etc. I’m good with “playing the kids” when they’re ready to be a net-positive NHL contributor. He isn’t right now but he should be in the somewhat near future(ish). If “demonstrating a possibility of hanging in the NHL” is something that they’re looking for, it’s fair to question it because that process is not great.

Reactions: CerpinTaxt

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i think the main issue is..most of us so-called "negative" posters do not see the org having a long-term plan..quick fixes so they can achieve just getting to the playoffs..a non-rebuild rebuild..wasting..even later-round picks for aging vets that they just have to have so they can raise that culture champ banner

in a way it is insulting to the fans because they do no think we can sit through an actual proper rebuild

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost had nothing to do with talent evaluation, he was in AV's doghouse and his cap hit was high for a 3rd pair D-man.

NAK is a dime a dozen 4th liner, not as good as Poehling or Hathaway. Probably better than Lycksell or Richard, but has zero upside. A good forechecker who was a dirty player who took too many stupid penalties (shades of Rinaldo). I have no use for players who elbow other players in the head (did that multiple times in the AHL and NHL).

And other than Cousins, who was traded by Hextall almost a decade ago, that's it.
Or do you miss Myers, Twarynski, Leier, Laczynski, Allison (in KHL), Friedman, et al?

This love for marginal players is bizarre.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ghost had nothing to do with talent evaluation, he was in AV's doghouse and his cap hit was high for a 3rd pair D-man.

NAK is a dime a dozen 4th liner, not as good as Poehling or Hathaway. Probably better than Lycksell or Richard, but has zero upside. A good forechecker who was a dirty player who took too many stupid penalties (shades of Rinaldo). I have no use for players who elbow other players in the head (did that multiple times in the AHL and NHL).

And other than Cousins, who was traded by Hextall almost a decade ago, that's it.
Or do you miss Myers, Twarynski, Leier, Laczynski, Allison (in KHL), Friedman, et al?

“His cap hit was high for a third pair d-man”

Proceeds to celebrate Poehling and Hathaway.

P.S. AV wrongly evaluating Ghost and the organization siding with a lame duck AV is talent evaluation. They’ve also gone on to pay third pair d-men more than Ghost got paid while sending assets out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“His cap hit was high for a third pair d-man”

Proceeds to celebrate Poehling and Hathaway.

P.S. AV wrongly evaluating Ghost and the organization siding with a lame duck AV is talent evaluation. They’ve also gone on to pay third pair d-men more than Ghost got paid while sending assets out.
No, it's a stubborn HC with a big contract.
Ghost has been on the 3rd pair in Carolina and Detroit. That's his role on PO teams.
And AV and CF don't work here anymore for some reason. :sarcasm:

There is no "they." That's conspiracy theory talk, "those people . . ."
Briere is the GM, Torts is the HC, Jones is the President.
Hilferty so far has been hands off hockey operations.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not a be all end all but sure it is as most player waived NHL teams have their own version of said waived player.

Which is why they make it through. It doesn't make them less NHL caliber.

Every year multiple players better than Deslauriers pass waivers. Just because they pass doesn't mean they aren't better than him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Of course it has everything to do with player evaluation.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was taken off a PP that sorely needed his skills. Poor talent evaluation.

This is true. And also stupid.

The Flyers love paying out the nose for "cap hit is too high for a 3rd pair d-man", exhibit A: Risto.
There is no "Flyers."
There are the decision makers, it was HOlmgren/Hextall/CF with input from Clarke and Barber.
They're all gone.

If you want to whine about Breire/Torts/Jones, be my guest.
But none had any involvement in what came before.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
They're all gone. Everything has changed. Why can't you see this?

image.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad