2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Is this for the 9 games, or are they doing the whole year to have their PR win after everyone scoffed at them for passing Buium?
absolutely peak Flyers brand to over cook draft picks in the AHL !!! then when we draft a kid so young its a slamdunk he needs time in the minors of course they bypass and go direct to NHL..

i cant wait for the silence when the kid runs into the NHL wall and is eventualy sent down...

but by all means! keep on keeping on Flyers Org..🤣

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I haven't watched a single preseason game...has he shown you that he will be able to that? Everything I have read , is he is exciting to watch but no where near polished yet to put up 20 as a rookie
Luchanko is NHL ready from a physical and defensive perspective, extremely smart and already better defensively at center than Laughton from what I saw.

He's got elite speed, he's now probably over 190 lbs at 18, and probably can pack on another 10 the next two years. He has good vision and is a good passer.

Problem is his shot is not NHL caliber right now, he's obviously very inexperienced and will struggle to create offense at first. Teams will play him to pass until he shows he can shoot.

Interesting comparison was Brind'Amour, who spent one year in college then put up 60 points as a 19 year old. But Brind'Amour was a much better shooter (16%) as a rookie.

As the 3C with Foerster and Brink he'll have enough talent to work with.
Given that the Poehling line will play more than most 4th lines (10-12 minutes at ES) Jett won't be overworked at 3C.

However, I still don't like it, don't think he brings enough to the team to justify rushing him.
He'll be a defensive plus, but so is Cates at C, not sure Jett is ready to produce offensively.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It also wouldn't just be about Buium; their plan was to have The Solution Cutter Gauthier as the second part of the Michkov young duo. That went haywire, so now their Need they may have drafted for was to replace that, and they're pushing him out there now because that's what their mental schedule demands.

There are way more bad in-character explanations for their reasoning than there are good ones.

I don’t think they have the ability to conceive and implement intricate schemes. They just think they’re smarter than everyone else. There’s no nuance or grand plan. It’s not a cascading set of reasonable conclusions that end up in an unreasonable place. It’s the same death grip on arrogance as a touchstone they’ve had for decades.

Interesting comparison was Brind'Amour, who spent one year in college then put up 60 points as a 19 year old.

So not a relevant comparison then at all.

RBA was a ~1.5 PPG guy in the CCHA before hitting the NHL. Luchanko was a good but not great August birthday in the OHL. Plus he did this thirty five years ago when development was completely different and the league averaged a half a Goal higher per team per Game.

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Luchanko is NHL ready from a physical and defensive perspective, extremely smart and already better defensively at center than Laughton from what I saw.

He's got elite speed, he's now probably over 190 lbs at 18, and probably can pack on another 10 the next two years. He has good vision and is a good passer.

Problem is his shot is not NHL caliber right now, he's obviously very inexperienced and will struggle to create offense at first. Teams will play him to pass until he shows he can shoot.

Interesting comparison was Brind'Amour, who spent one year in college then put up 60 points as a 19 year old. But Brind'Amour was a much better shooter (16%) as a rookie.

Given that the Poehling line will play more than most 4th lines (10-12 minutes at ES) Jett won't be overworked at 3C.

However, I still don't like it, don't think he brings enough to the team to justify rushing him.
He'll be a defensive plus, but so is Cates at C, not sure Jett is ready to produce offensively.
Here comes the spin. Been waiting for it.

The comparison to Rod is a total joke. Since Jett is in shape guess you have find someone to compare.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
BrindAmour was a point producing machine for the Flyers till he hurt his leg and the idiots in charge blamed him for it and traded him. 593 points in 621 games, which was 22nd highest in the league out of all forwards. Comparing Luchanko to him this early is crazy. Also, Rod didn't start a season in the NHL till he was 19. :laugh:

rod-brind%27amour-1996-53.jpg

Reactions: BillDineen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think there's any PR aspect at all, I think they just fell in love with the player and are curious to see how he'd fare in real games.

Playing a few NHL games won't set his development back, it'll give him a yardstick to know where his game needs to improve in the CHL when he's sent back.

For him to stick, he'd really have to shine in real games. And if he does, he should stick.
More likely, his inexperience will become more obvious playing in real games.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Oh look, Luchanko made the team.

Guess all that “no shot” talk was as wrong as ever.
It’s a dumb move if he’s getting 4th line minutes. It’s also a guarantee that he is going to have a leash a inch long with Torts. He will make one mistake and he will be benched.
I don’t trust the Flyers to not bungle this. They have proven time and time again their player development with young players sucks

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Only 10 pounds? Per what we've been seeing, anything less than adding 100 pounds of muscle in the next two years is a let down!

• Haha
Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
BrindAmour was a point producing machine for the Flyers till he hurt his leg and the idiots in charge blamed him for it and traded him. 593 points in 621 games, which was 22nd highest in the league out of all forwards. Comparing Luchanko to him this early is crazy. Also, Rod didn't start a season in the NHL till he was 19. :laugh:

They're banking on Luchanko being an outlier when he hasn't shown any outlier-y things.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
These cuts also mean that Deslauriers is still around to produce nothing on the ice.
The Luchanko situation is pure Tortorella-“Only I can turn this kid into an NHL player.” His ego has no bounds. When the opposition gets to set their better lines against him he’s going to get smoked. He doesn’t have a shot; will get whipped on the dot; lacks experience on the ice. Good coaching is to put players in position to succeed. Not happening here.
This team is going to be bad. Come spring the FO will be begging to have a crowd as big as they had last night to watch this mess. It’s going to be a long cold winter in Philly.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
He clearly appears to be able to keep up in the NHL and is, even if embarrassingly, one of our top centers already. It's not "PR" to acknowledge that. It is an exciting premise and worthy of some praise as a fresh 18 year old.

Tortorella is just getting tunnel vision into thinking "He's one of our top centers already? Then he's making the team."

Unless he is extraordinary, Briere and Jones can't let this go beyond 9 games.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don’t think they have the ability to conceive and implement intricate schemes. They just think they’re smarter than everyone else. There’s no nuance or grand plan. It’s not a cascading set of reasonable conclusions that end up in an unreasonable place. It’s the same death grip on arrogance as a touchstone they’ve had for decades.
I don't believe the Flyers think that they are smarter than everyone else...

I believe they really don't think at all.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
IF this remains a 9-gamer, sure, give the kid a taste of the NHL, send him back to Guelph with a list of things to work on, and let's see him again next year or the year after. I'm a big fan of the "we have faith in you, so we want you to get a taste of the good life so you work harder to get back here" cup of coffee. If he stays up, I fear we're looking at a huge goddamn mistake.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
He clearly appears to be able to keep up in the NHL and is, even if embarrassingly, one of our top centers already.

Not one person has any idea if he can keep up in the NHL yet. Including me. The odds are small based on his career to this date. That’s the whole point. Poorly run orgs change their minds on major decisions based on tiny sample sizes in subpar preseason games.

Nor is it anything but horrendous process to keep him in the NHL because he’s better than what you have. I evaluate what they do based on their stances on players, not mine. Every sign we have is that they think he’s a major piece for them. Fair enough. So every decision about his career needs to be made with his long-term development in mind or it’s wrong. No grey area. Wrong.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
"If we think a player deserves to play in the NHL, we have no problem with him playing. Players like Hayes and Gauthier hardly deserve to wear this crest. Jett is a Flyer through and through."

Not one person has any idea if he can keep up in the NHL yet. Including me. The odds are small based on his career to this date. That’s the whole point. Poorly run orgs change their minds on major decisions based on tiny sample sizes in subpar preseason games.

Nor is it anything but horrendous process to keep him in the NHL because he’s better than what you have. I evaluate what they do based on their stances on players, not mine. Every sign we have is that they think he’s a major piece for them. Fair enough. So every decision about his career needs to be made with his long-term development in mind or it’s wrong. No grey area. Wrong.
It's always reactionary with this org. I 100% believe this is all tied in with the Cutter blowback. This org smells worse than Kayla Harper's raw milk shits

pooch

May 30, 2017
Here comes the spin. Been waiting for it.

The comparison to Rod is a total joke. Since Jett is in shape guess you have find someone to compare.
What spin? That he doesn’t like the move keeping him on the big club? I don’t like it either unless it’s just the 9 games or less before going back to juniors.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Laughton, Cates, Poehling, Deslaurier, Hathaway all for the 4th line. :laugh:

What a dumb franchise.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
95o7c1.jpg

I wish I thought it was PR. At least that would mean a 3 week detour and then a return to sanity.

Unfortunately, I think it’s the simple answer as usual. They think he’s the exception to every rule and are pushing him even harder than Pastrnak got. The top-down approach is more flawed than average. Hopefully they hit big on a couple more picks and it doesn’t matter. That’s about all I have left to bolster me.

I think about Robert Thomas, as close to a recent profile as it gets from production to physical readiness to birthday. I think Robert Thomas has elite offensive skills (playmaking) that Luchanko does not and will never have. I obviously didn't think Thomas would be an 86 point player, but I was very bullish on his 2C upside. Thomas went back to the OHL for a Blues team that had just lost in the 3rd and 2nd rounds the years prior. Every reason to rush him. They missed the playoffs in Thomas' D+1 by 1 point. The next year, he was a contributor in the Cup run.

I don't think Luchanko has the offensive upside his draft spot merited, and that might simply be a feature, but if I did, I am not f***ing around with letting him demolish the OHL. Which he has not done and still might not do.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

So not a relevant comparison then at all.

RBA was a ~1.5 PPG guy in the CCHA before hitting the NHL. Luchanko was a good but not great August birthday in the OHL. Plus he did this thirty five years ago when development was completely different and the league averaged a half a Goal higher per team per Game.

I do love me a good Friday burn

Tomato tomahto, close enough, who cares :sarcasm:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
He clearly appears to be able to keep up in the NHL and is, even if embarrassingly, one of our top centers already. It's not "PR" to acknowledge that. It is an exciting premise and worthy of some praise as a fresh 18 year old.

Tortorella is just getting tunnel vision into thinking "He's one of our top centers already? Then he's making the team."

Unless he is extraordinary, Briere and Jones can't let this go beyond 9 games.
you know thats not happening... DB/Jones will not override Emp. Torts on roster construction...

Reactions: renberg

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So seems like we are gonna see:

Michkov-Couturier-Konecny
Tippett-Frost-Foerster
Farabee-Luchanko-Brink
Laughton-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauries-Cates

York-Sanheim
Seeler-Drysdale
Zamula-Risto
Johnson

Ersson
Fedotov

Assuming they keep Deslauriez out, which is im not convinced on... could be the most fun lineup in a while.

Id preffer MM with frost tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad